Best alternative to WordPress?

A

azerbaijantea

Hi. First question I would ask, why are you looking for alternative CMS? What is specific reason? I use WordPress for very long time and I did not find any major issue with WordPress. Since it offers almost anything you want and better than any other CMS you get easy setup and user-friendly interface. What is most important thing for your website? Design? or Security? I believe all of them present in WP.

GigaGreg

Staff member
eladkarako said:
generate static html, store on github pages.

There are comment replacements plugins that uses the 'issues' section as comment system. it loads very fast from cdn an has free let's encrypt certificate built in. and it's free. your content will be available on github at some level but can always fit your own solution (dynamic client side rendering from encrypted storage..)

That's great, however it depends what the person really needs.

Sleepwalker

Ultimately the best answer to this question is: "It depends on what you want to create."

IMHO Wordpress is a blogging platform. If you need a blog it's a really good choice. I avoid it unless I'm making one, the reason for that is simple: I don't want to build a car on a tricycle frame. Sure You can "make it work", but why would you?

For example, this forum is hosted on MyBB framework, made for forums. Could it be done on Wordpress? Yes. Should it be done on Wordpress? I do not believe so.

I don't like frameworks, they make You lazy. It's a mindset of "I'll take what's there" instead of "How do I want it to work?". Leads to stuff like (no offence admins) liking a post on a forum refreshing your page. I'm reading, I like this, I want to continue... nope we will make Your browser make a 100+ requests as a thank you for participating...

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Sleepwalker said:
IMHO Wordpress is a blogging platform. If you need a blog it's a really good choice. I avoid it unless I'm making one, the reason for that is simple: I don't want to build a car on a tricycle frame. Sure You can "make it work", but why would you?
I beg to differ here. Wordpress can be used both as a blogging platform and as a multiple page Website. There are a number of large corporations that are using it not for blogging. All you need to do is Google it.

If you know WordPress and its strengths and weaknesses you can create almost anything out of it, including a discussion Forum. I haven't seen a good WordPress discussion Forum plugin yet, but for everything else if you have a large corporation with a fully fledged tech department they could easily create their own WordPress plugins and adapt it for their own use.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Sleepwalker said:
Wordpress is easy. Every time people start talking about how it's universal I love to quote my high-school chemistry teacher: "If something is good for everything then it's sh*t". You can still put in a nail with a shovel, just not the best way of doing it.

So what alternative would you suggest then? Let's say we want a Website that is mobile friendly and responsive, in addition to a home site with many sub sections, also has to include a Forum and a Blog. How would you do this? Consider that we don't have any funds to employ a designer, we have to do it ourselves. We are doing this in our spare time, so don't have unlimited time to do this in. We also can't afford expensive tools, we have to make do with what is available for free. How would you do this?

Sleepwalker

Sleepwalker said:
It's ok if you're a designer with little programming background, it will allow you to push out websites quickly. It's ok if the website needs to be maintained by (pardon my language here) a unskilled personnel. But ultimately you push the security and maintenance of Your website to WP and any plugin vendors you're using. A typical corp exec will take cheep deployment over possible future issues all day every day.

As I said, it will get the job done. To be fair, if I would get a project like that, specially on a short deadline, hell yeah. Fire and forget. I'd only leave a note to check for updates, cause If you don't... You're running the worlds most popular platform with websites dedicated to listing its security issues.

Personally, I'm a full stack developer. I have my own CMS. So yeah, I would prefer to use something that's tailored to my needs. So, from a framework to full deployment I'd say 40 work hours. Hell make it 80, that's still a single month monday to friday, 4 hours per day.

Confining yourself to a framework will make you a mechanic instead of a engineer. Everyone needs to start somewhere, it's the part where you end in the same place is a problem for me.

KenGaming

I'm currently using Ghost CMS, it seems that it's faster than WordPress but it's for blogging only and it needs Node.js support, it also doesn't have much plugins yet

mazl

It depends on what you want.

As far as I know,if you want a company webpage,and if you don't mind (maybe) somehow complicated admin tasks,try Joomla(note its plugin directory have some paid plugins).

For a personal blog,there are many choices,and I prefer serendipity for basic blogging.

Well,you may want to search the web and decide yourself --many systems offer online demos.

tbelldesignco

Wordpress is really a one stop shop and I've yet to find any CMSs that hold a candle to it. Joomla I guess would be some where close, but I feel that it is not user friendly at any capacity, so I've always built sites to work with Wordpress. I currently have a website and I am creating a blog series for my business that talks about Wordpress in detail and how to make it really fit your needs and I have been thinking about a basic tutorial about creating your own themes for it.