.BIZ or .ORG?

Sander k

What is easyer to remember, a .biz or a .org domain? Or doesn't it matter? What do you think?
Whats the best for a free plugin site?

For me, it's definitely .org but I normally associate it with non-profit organizations or groups or community endeavors (though I know it's not a requirement). I have one for a local community garden that I'm helping to get going.

When someone gives a .biz domain name, I always feel a little pang of sympathy, thinking "Oh this person wasn't able to get their first choice." But these days it's pretty familiar to me at least and it will keep being more common.

I think it will always depend on the nature of the site. For now .org might be better for a site offering free plugins. The combination of ".biz" and "free" might make some wonder if you were up to something.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Well said for me too HR. Including I can't really remember .biz. ..Org seems just so much easier to remember and just rolls off the tongue that much easier. The "iz" in "biz" sounds like a mosquito on the loose. :p

lestaria

Genesis said:
Well said for me too HR. Including I can't really remember .biz. ..Org seems just so much easier to remember and just rolls off the tongue that much easier. The "iz" in "biz" sounds like a mosquito on the loose. :p

Mhmm, I definitely agree with you there Genesis. I also think .biz sounds like business. So if a website had a .biz domain I would probably think it was a business of some kind at first glance. Then again, there are probably lots of sites with both .org and .biz domains that aren't necessarily organizations or businesses. I've had a few friends use the .org domain for blogs and such. Though I tend to associate blogs with a .net domain for some reason... Perhaps it's because I feel like a blog is more of a "network" of people.

dxverm

I'm okay with .org just because it's one of the top three I remember. But .biz is just too corporate business oriented for me.

One possibility for a .biz might be try to some alliteration or play off the name like pluginwiz.biz. Since it' Friday it could be ginfizz.biz. With anything normal in front of it though it sounds like a knock-off version of what it would have been with .com or something else.

Sander k

I am making several SEO related plugins for WordPress, MyBB, SMF and other scripts and Will release them for free.
I am guessing that Crawlers.biz won't work that good.

Sander k said:
I am making several SEO related plugins for WordPress, MyBB, SMF and other scripts and Will release them for free.
I am guessing that Crawlers.biz won't work that good.

Hmm. Maybe not.

I look forward to checking out your plugins when they are available.

L

lilkid4000

Sander k said:
What is easyer to remember, a .biz or a .org domain? Or doesn't it matter? What do you think?
Whats the best for a free plugin site?

.org is easier and Java

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Neither really. My first choice is .com for a genuine Website. ..net as first choice and .org as second choice for when .com is already taken. .biz is third rate for me after .org and .net.

I'd say between .org and .biz .org wins all of the way.

Technically though .com is supposed to be for a company. .org for an organization and .net for a network for internet providers. As time marched on they sort of became used regardless, however the meanings are still stuck in my mind. .biz for me when I first learned about it came across as an al cheapo domain. So I'd rather go for .co as Chris suggested when .com is unavailable. I also like .co.uk as well. Since the UK is a business mecca of sorts.

Peter

To me they sound commercial to different degrees.

.biz - Sounds super commercial. I Can't think of a single site using this TLD but I would expect it on stock market sites and sites that aim at business oriented people.
.com - Sounds commercial but it's not necessary the case.
.net - Could be anything. Sounds less commercial than .com
.org - Sounds like a non-profit organisation or similar.

The use of .biz is not unrestricted like the other TLDs so I wouldn't recommend using it for non-commercial purposes.
[url=http://www.icann.org/en/about/agreements/registries/biz/biz-appx-11-html-22aug13-en.htm].BIZ Agreement Appendix 11 - .biz Registration Restrictions[/url] said:
Registrations in the .biz TLD must be used or intended to be used primarily for bona fide business or commercial purposes

Lycos

I like neither "biz" or "org". My preference is always a dot.com or a dot.net. Looks like much more serious and authentic domains to me. Biz sounds almost like a spam domain. If I have to choose between the two as the only two available, I'd go for .org. Not sure that it would work for a business site however. I'd use it more for a non-business type Website.

gravien

domains its not about easy to remember anymore dude, there are very very rare visitors will visit your site directly.... try to make domain that easy to search... because all people including you... will visit new site through google....

nicholas29708

I would suggest .org over .biz. .org are more prevalent and are more recognizable, whereas .biz could sound like a scam in my opinion. As far as the plugins sound, I would like to see them if they are available now!