Blacklisted IP

Caroline Centa

cPanel Username: guidance

URL: http://readingsbycaroline.net

Detailed Description:
I am having difficulties sending my clients digital products that have been paid for due to being blacklisted.

I assume the blacklisting happened when I was hacked a while ago and spam was sent from my account. I rectified this problem and increased my security following the advice of gigarank staff, however I am now unable to send my clients (particularly those who are users of bigpond) their customer communications.

I do not use my email/service to send any newsletters or spam. It is 100% purely used for customer communication and delivery of digital products.

SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection:
554 nschwcmgw04p BigPond Inbound IB103. Connection refused. 37.187.74.24 has a poor reputation on the Cloudmark Sender Intelligence (CSI) list. Please visit http://csi.cloudmark.com/reset-request/?ip=37.187.74.24 to request a delisting.

What can I do to fix this problem?

Thank you in advance
Caroline[/align]

un4saken

Administrator
Just checked your email reports and saw that only one of your recipient host has blocked your email. kr*****9@bigp***.au

You can try to contact them and ask for an unblock or kindly ask your client to use another mail service like gmail etc.

Caroline Centa

None of my bigpond users are receiving my email though. :/ And I have spoken to the client you listed above and she is regular client so has not blocked me herself. She is as perplexed about it as I am.

I have put in a report with cloudmark so hopefully that will fix it. I am finding it very frustrating that so many of my customers are not getting my communications just because they are with bigpond.com.au

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Caroline Centa said:
I have put in a report with cloudmark so hopefully that will fix it. I am finding it very frustrating that so many of my customers are not getting my communications just because they are with bigpond.com.au
Sorry to hear about your dilemma Caroline. I'm keeping fingers crossed for Cloudmark to unblock you. Am almost certain however who there must be many other victims that are negatively affected as well. Standards in Australia for Web security can be a bit over the top.

Caroline Centa

They told me to tell to do this:

The DNS pointer record for this IP (ns3362780.ovh.net.) appears to match
a generic or default pattern that is often associated with spam.
Cloudmark will not continue to remediate such IP addresses.

Please could you update the rDNS on this IP to be something more
specific to the sender and/or your organisation rather than the generic
pattern that the provider has assigned by default. You may need to
contact your provider in order to accomplish this rDNS change.

For instance mail.example.com would be considered far less generic than
208-83-136-1.sfo.example.com or hosted-by.example.com

I have no idea how to do that...

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Darn! Google is getting REALLY good. I just put in the question below by FLUKE not expecting much and this is what I got:

what is ns3362780.ovh.net.?

It's the reverse DNS for Gigarank:

Capture.png

un4 and DJB would probably be able to explain the nitty gritty better, but the way I understand it (speaking under correction) the perpetrators who are blocking you are looking at finding something generic rather than numeric. The numeric seems to vary because it is not a static IP of course. Again, I'm speaking under correction here.

I was wondering whether it would solve the problem if you had your own dedicated IP that would be static and won't change? Again, un4 and Chris are best to provide the answers.

Must say that type of security is really HEAVY going.

Caroline Centa

Yup.. most of what you said went over my head. How do I get a static IP for my email which uses my domain (****@readingsbycaroline.net) which is hosted on Gigarank?

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
I think it's better un4saken provides you with some options. I may be giving you the wrong advice.

There definitely has to be a solution for something like this as I can't think you're the only victim.

un4saken

Administrator
Could you please try now @"Caroline Centa" ? I've changed the rdns & PTR and submited cloudmark.