Blocked IP and Joomla Spam issues

windwalker

cPanel User Name: wolfgard
Name of Domain: wolfgardens.org
Detailed Description: Genesis notified me that I had a lot of spam related to my hosting account.
The system appears to have blocked my IP preventing me from logging in to correct the problem.
I was able however to log in through TOR Browser and found out that the problem was that a number of spammers had managed to get past Joomla Spam Block and register on my site without authentication.

I corrected that problem.
However, my IP sis still blocked and I n not get into cpanel or visit wolfgardens.org or go to any gigarank pages including the forum except through TOR.

Thanks....

I have been trying to get logged into to see what the problem can be.

I had to use TOR to even log in here. Am about to try my control panel and see if it will work there.

There should not even be anyone sending emails from wolfgardens.org right now other than myself.

I am going to try to get in and fix it .

It seems that the site blocked my ip like when I was having trouble logging in.

Hopefully I can get it fixed.

I suggest that anyone else using Joomla. do a couple of things.

1. Upgrade Joomla to the latest version if you have not already.
2. Update Spam Blocker or Spam Bot which ever you use. ( I use several of the Plugins that prevent registration without auth, and do not allow open ID registrations .
Unfortunately, Facebook and Google as well as many other sites have more than their share of spammers.
If you allow someone with a google or facebook account to log in through their account, their is a good chance that you just allowed a spammer or even a hacker access to your site.

Thanks for the heads up.

With Respect,

Jim
Additional Information: Not answered

GigaGreg

Staff member
Not good to hear that. I have similar problem, but I just get a lot of spam emails from random people and I can't get them off. Im glad that my site is in full HTML, but when I upgrade it to the wordpress then I will do something. I have other website running on joomla and thanks for sharing, I will install these plugins asap. Other guys like Genesis or Djb will be able to help you for sure.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Jim,

Since we corresponded previously I've checked every where in the WHM and doesn't look as though your IP is blocked. Hopefully un4saken or DJB can check as well. Could be that I've missed out on a blocked IP.

With regard to your points about Joomla, they are spot on. There has been at least one other user who has had the exact same experience as you had, including the spam e-mails before she corrected it. She followed the same steps as you did to correct the problem.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Jim, if your still experiencing issues, please PM your IP and I will clear from blocked list.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
That's a relief to hear Windwalker. Sorry to hear about the illness in your family. Hope all is well again.

windwalker

I do seem to be having a problem though. Not sure if it is connected or not.
I can not log into the admin area of joomla and none of the joomla fixes work.

Would it be possible to restore a backup of my site?
The backup I have also seems to be corrupted as well.

Thanks,

Jim

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
That part regrettably we can't help with. We can't help with Joomla Admin issues. You also need to do the restore yourself. Particularly when it is corrupted.

windwalker

When I made the back up, it wasn't corrupted. But when I restor it, it is .
It seems now that my IP is blocked again as well.. Not sure why this time since all I did was try to log in to cpanel.
It would not accept my password even though it was correct. I clicked ot reset my password and it blocked my IP.

I am at a loss as to how to resolve this issue.
Cpanel should have nothing to do with joomla.

The responses on joomla seem to be of the opinion that my site was hacked. But I can not get into the error logs to see if it was a brute force attack or what.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim

Genesis said:
That part regrettably we can't help with. We can't help with Joomla Admin issues. You also need to do the restore yourself. Particularly when it is corrupted.

If I upgrade to the basic package would that fix my problems or would they remain the same?
I can't handle my IP being blocked every time I try to log in..If upgrading will prevent that I will try to do that.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
It is always a good idea to upgrade your package if you are dealing with more complicated and involved Websites. However, not so sure whether it is going to solve the problem with your corrupted database and the IP that keeps getting blocked.

What are the solutions you have tried to repair your database? Exactly what is wrong with it? Have you tried the solution below to reset the password?

[video=youtube]

This one looks good for repairing a database:

[video=youtube]

windwalker

Yes, I did try those.
I am not sure what the issue is with the database.
Nor is anyone from Joomla Community who have tried to help me.

Their suggestion was to reset the password in MyPhpAdmin as well, which I had already done.

What I have done is installed Joomla fresh in wolfgardens.org/home and am rebuilding the site.

Once it is complete, I will simply use a redirect and delete the first installation.

I am not sure what the problem is Genesis, but I am relatively sure that it came with me from x10.
They still do not have all of the other web sites fixed.

A couple of them work well enough for now, so I will leave them for the time being.

Wolf Gardens is the important one. That is how we manage our onsite volunteers.
Hopefully this will resolves the problem in a much simpler way.

Over the years I have discovered that while there is some satisfaction in correcting difficult issues, there is more satisfaction in having a functioning web site.. LOL

So other than my IP being blocked still, I would say that unless other issues arise, this one is completed.

I always update to the latest stable version of all software.
I am also restricting everything but the home page and login to registered users.
I a moderating registration so I will be able to double check registration emails against spam bot to see if they are real or not.

I know if someone is really determined, they will still kick my door in. LOL Just not sure why anyone would want to kick in the door of a small non profit organization..

if you need it again, my user name is wolfgard domain is wolfgardens.org
IP is 184.156.38.151

Thanks,

Jim