Can't let go of Windows XP

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
So I just can't let go. And I need to let go as of course Microsoft stopped supporting Windows XP after 8 April. Does any one know of something I can do not to have to change right now? Why I'm also resisting is that I may have to make a major relocation in September, like moving from one continent to another, and now is not a good time. :aggressive:

Other reasons include:

1. There is no Driver available for my perfectly good HP Laserjet1000 printer with plenty of cartridge left - I rarely print, but I do need to very occasionally, and what a waste to throw all of that out, and then have to purchase a new cheap printer. on a different voltage, and then again another new printer if I move to Canada

2. No driver for old Genius scanner ... but not really a loss to me

3. I won't have the lovely sound I have now with my Altec computer sound system. Quality is amazing and sound fills the whole house.

4. Just hate all of the hours of troubleshooting I'll have to do starting from scratch again.

:cry:

GigaGreg

Staff member
Use your windows xp for these devices only, and invest in windows 7 computer/laptop or linux computer/laptop.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Mine's exactly the same .... an OEM version. I'll probably be working towards changing over the next two weeks or so however. I'll hopefully get my Windows 7 Professional 32-bit later today. And new hardware next week. And then struggle along one step and selection of swear words at a time. Security is important. :p

beachrat420

I plan to continue to use my XP Pro until either my laptop blows up or I can no longer use the internet because of advances in web technology. All the talk of being hacked is just so much malarkey -- Microsoft is intent that you buy their latest (but not greatest) products.... Not me -- I don't buy that! This old computer pro knows how to keep his system secure despite the inadequacies of poor programming on Microsoft's part!

After the laptop fries itself, I will use either a Debian-based system, Chromium OS or something else--ANYTHING but a Microsoft product.....

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
beachrat420 said:
I plan to continue to use my XP Pro until either my laptop blows up or I can no longer use the internet because of advances in web technology. All the talk of being hacked is just so much malarkey -- Microsoft is intent that you buy their latest (but not greatest) products....
Ah thanks! I like to hear this. And yes, I can talk forever about Microsoft, particularly since they are still continuing with security updates for Windows XP, but only to LARGE corporations in contracts to the value of 1-million USD plus. 200USD per user.

swostik

I think, if you will use Windows 7 then an option their will be to help you run previous versions of programs. I have a question; Windows XP lost support from Mircrosoft from 8 April 2013 or 2014?

beachrat420

swostik said:
I think, if you will use Windows 7 then an option their will be to help you run previous versions of programs. I have a question; Windows XP lost support from Mircrosoft from 8 April 2013 or 2014?

Been there, done that. Windows 7 is ok, but no thanks, I'll stick to XP until I absolutely have to change......

Microsoft can stop their support -- that still doesn't intimidate me into wanting to run out and get the latest edition of their failware....

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
igdesigner said:
Windows 7 is another good after xp, win 8 is complete faiure as well as vista.

Which version of Windows 7 is the best from a practical experience point of view? Premium or Professional?

GigaGreg

Staff member
I have used Professional and It was good for what I used to do on my old laptop. Also you would need to install Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2 for Win7.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
I'm still reluctant, but am in the process of upgrading my hardware. May be a slow process once I have it, as probably have to back up everything first. Once I'm up and going on the new computer eventually, am planning to reformat the hard disk of my current computer. Hoping to learn Linux during the summer with long-term plan to get independent of Windows "failware" quote unquote Beachrat. Very aptly named. :p

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
I'm still on XP. I purchased new hardware with Windows 7 a few weeks ago already, and haven't taken it out of the box yet. Just feels insane that I should change when it is working so well right now. I suspect that maybe one of these days there will be a real cause for me to change, and then fortunately I'm prepared for it. For now XP is still working OK. "Knock on wood".