CentOS 7.0 - HUGE ISO file

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
I'm just wondering, why is CentOS 7.0 ISO image so big? It's 4GB?

Have been battling today with downloading the image. For the first time I've got an understanding why there are so many mirrors listed on the CentOS Website. The first two didn't work for me.

That is just the DVD image. The ISO that has everything is 7.1 gigs. The minimal ISo is 700 megs. You can also download this via torrents.

I guess the big question is, what are you using this for? Are you running a server? Or do you want it to run JDK on it?

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Idea is to run a server on it but I'd also like to see whether I can work without Windows. I.e. run most of the typical Windows applications from a Linux platform. I don't want to do JDK on it. Maybe in my next life, for now, it's working towards Linux and see how far I can take it to replace Windows.

agentsky

If you want to use CentOS as desktop then i suggest use Fedora instead because of its cutting edge repo. As far as i know CentOS is built for stability just like Red Hat (100% copy actually) and for that in mind it was built as a production server and not as Desktop although you can use it as a desktop you may change some repo to accommodate new software for it.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
That's a great tip thanks Agentsky. Beauty of the Virtual Box is I can try out a few Linux Distributions before I settle on "the one". I'm also thinking of Linux Mint. But will start with CentOS first.

archomage

agentsky said:
If you want to use CentOS as desktop then i suggest use Fedora instead because of its cutting edge repo. As far as i know CentOS is built for stability just like Red Hat (100% copy actually) and for that in mind it was built as a production server and not as Desktop although you can use it as a desktop you may change some repo to accommodate new software for it.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

cutting edge repo can be configured also in centos.
however, cutting edge also means risks: an instable package can distroy your system.

dmull

Linux Mint seems to work great and they have different versions on this as well. Mint (which I like), Xfce, Cinnamon just to name a few. PCLinux is actually very close to a Windows desktop. Others also include ElemantryOS, Ubuntu Mate and Kubuntu.

kentwiggins

Genesis said:
That's a great tip thanks Agentsky. Beauty of the Virtual Box is I can try out a few Linux Distributions before I settle on "the one". I'm also thinking of Linux Mint. But will start with CentOS first.