Clone Project. "Myanimelist.net"

pan1

Hi guys, I am working to create clone of anime database website rightnow. I choose to clone Myanimelist but I'm not planning to clone all its feature like forum, review etc. I just want to make a simple movie database which only contain single page, category page, sorting and search page and homepage.

Btw, I will use wordpress for its CMS. I will make update for every step that I made. Here is the screenshot of the target website.

Untitled.jpg

pan1

Genesis said:
@Vongo. Have you asked permission from the Website to clone it?

Nope, because I'm not planning to make a live clone website. I just wanna study and share how to make database movie website. In this case, I am using Myanimelist.net just for references.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
It's probably then better not to say you're cloning the Website because that is not what cloning is. Cloning means making an identical copy of the Website. Even if it is not cloning, you need to give credit or ask permission to use any of the content of the Website.

pan1

Ok, lets start now. I'am using wordpress 4.1 as CMS and Vantage Theme from Siteorigin (its free theme).

### DAY ONE ####

First, lets make single page for movie detail.

I'm using 3 plugin to customize single page.
1. Advanced Custom Fields ( powerfull plugin to create and manage custom field)
2. WCK - Custom Fields and Custom Post Types Creator (using this for create custom taxonomy like genre, producer, rating (17+,18+ etc), Type (Movie, Serial etc)
3. Envira Gallery Lite (This plugin is easy enough to create and insert image gallery from post editor)

Here is the screenshot :
Original Website :
2.jpg

Result:
1.jpg

Genesis said:
It's probably then better not to say you're cloning the Website because that is not what cloning is. Cloning means making an identical copy of the Website. Even if it is not cloning, you need to give credit or ask permission to use any of the content of the Website.

Ok, I'll change the topic....:drinks:

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
No worries Vongo. We're still curious to know what you're doing. So let us know when it has been completed.

pan1

### DAY TWO ####

The single page for movie detail has been made. So, lets start to make archive page. The archive page contain all of movie which belong to some or specific taxonomy.

1. Create primary menu and insert taxonomy link to the menu.
2. The original archive page design (on Myanimelist) seem boring to me, and I decided to create list of post using grid layout. You can do this easily by change it on theme setting menu if you use Vantage theme.

Here is the screenshot
Original Website:
3.jpg

Project Result:
4.jpg

pan1

### DAY TWO ####

I've finished make search form and search result page.

1. For display search form, I used plugin called "Search Filter". You can make filter for custom taxonomy. Its really usefull plugin.

Here is the screenshot:
Original website:

5.jpg

6.jpg

Project result:
7.jpg

8.jpg

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Keep it up, looks as if your making great progress.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Snowflake

This is looking very interesting. When you said you'd clone it I thought you would rip their idea, but from what you've done so far, it could turn into a unique concept. good luck!

pan1

### DAY 3 ###

Its time to make sorting feature so user can filter movie title alphabetically.

1. I am using plugin "Bemo A-Z index" to make sorting feature like below image.

Original Website :
9.jpg

Project Result :
10.jpg

pan1

### DAY 4 ###

I think I should add content to check whether the website is looking good or not.

(ATTENTION : Part 1 is for education only)

1. Lets try to scrapping data from original website using import.io application
2. Once you get the CSV file then import it database using wordpress plugin called "WP All Import". Personally, I like this one because it can assign post to custom taxonomy.

Here is the screenshot :
orqzkp.jpg

pan1

### LAST DAY ###

I've finished this project. Actually, I wanna make some changes but due to my college and job circumstance, I cannot working in this project for next couple of month. Here is the result:

*Homepage
FirefoxScreenshot2015-03-17T02-24-14640Z.jpg

*Category/Taxonomy Page
FirefoxScreenshot2015-03-17T02-30-58312Z.jpg

*Search Page
FirefoxScreenshot2015-03-17T02-31-56702Z.jpg

*Single Post
FirefoxScreenshot2015-03-17T02-32-38265Z.jpg

If you get an idea for future references, I'll gladly to hear that. :drinks::drinks:

pan1

Thanks guys, I think I should add trailer on each movie below the image gallery on single post. When I get a free time I'll continue this project.

pan1

denisotugo said:
dont forget to share.... waiting
I am not planning to share or to make a live site with this design. As Genesis mentioned above, I dont have right to clone other website, if you wanna know how to make this just let me know and I'am gladly to share with you all.
:drinks: