Dying languages?

Barnum4000

Is there any programming languages you think that are on the decline and becoming less popular?

I was thinking Ruby on Rails but large websites like Github use it. Are there any languages going extinct or will programming languages always have a place in software and web development?

CHT

If strictly related to web, I would have to say none. The stuff around; which consists of ASP.NET, Node.JS, Ruby on Rails and PHP are all still pretty much alive.

If you're not looking at web however, I would have to go with the stuff below.
C and C++.

Yozora

KillOrDi3 said:
In my opinion Pascal is dying.

What makes you think that? What have you read, seen or heard that gives the impression that it is dying?

Posts like the one above do not count as Quality Posts and won't bring you any closer to earning hosting or a VPS.

Peter

I think domain-specific languages are the ones at most risk of dying. For example, if Flash dies then ActionScript will most likely die too.

vicious

Last time I used Pascal, was the begining of 00's. I suppose today it could be used for educational purposes, but I wonder if Pascal could make a great soft perspectively.

vicious

Peter said:
I think domain-specific languages are the ones at most risk of dying. For example, if Flash dies then ActionScript will most likely die too.

Disagree, I found the DSL in growing popularity today. Not for soft crafting, but for use in such areas like legal, medicine, finance, HR.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
vicious said:
Peter said:

Not for soft crafting, but for use in such areas like legal, medicine, finance, HR.
Oh wow! I wonder what the legal, medicine and finance would have to say about your statement where precision is so important to them. For large corporations I have an understanding for it, as they even work in different time zones and regions and their languages and content of the different regions are region specific including language. But for smaller companies and your small entrepreneur, I'd think it would be very expensive and difficult for them to revert to different languages that easily. They'd probably go for the language they do business in only. Until they can afford and have the manpower to deal in business in a different language.

vicious

The same story of CRM soft. Ten years ago large corporations had its own sophisticated CRM solutions, while small business couldn't afford any. However, now I see tools as salesforce, which created some standards in CRM processes and approaches. The same perspective with domain specific languages. While large corporations create its own DSLs for Legal or HR, may be some DSL developers already creating standards for Legal or HR DSL suitable for small business.
However, no doubt a lot of DSLs are doomed, but not DSL as languages class or type

A

assassinoid

Dear all,

In my opinion most of the languages are on the backend that's why they are hidden, we can't say that they are dead.

fouadChk

Barnum4000 said:
Is there any programming languages you think that are on the decline and becoming less popular?

I was thinking Ruby on Rails but large websites like Github use it. Are there any languages going extinct or will programming languages always have a place in software and web development?

Ruby on Rails (or RoR for the initiated) is a Web application framework (PHP has many of these too.) But the Language is Ruby, and ruby is everything but in decline! See TIOBE's Index

Programming languages come and go, and for as long as there at least one use case for them where they excel, then they will stick around for just that.

amontes

I am a Perl programmer and I can say that younger folks are turning into something more readable as Python or Javascript. There is a horrifing (IMHO) Perl 6 that is nothing like its older awkard Perl 5 sibling. Perl 6 is dying, in fact, it is unborn.