Ebola Outbreak

admin

Administrator
Staff member
What are your thoughts on the recent out break of the deadly Ebola virus outbreak in some of the African countries? Do you think it has the potential to spread out of Africa into western countries, Middle East and around Asia?

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
SCARY! :shock: If the Ebola should reach London now, it would be a disaster, however looks as though the Government has prepared itself for the event.

Only good news is that the virus is not of the airborne kind. One can only get it with direct or indirect contact with those who have been infected - i.e. if they've been in the wash room and touched something and one touches it too. Guess hand washing when one uses public transport has become critical. I'm dead curious to know which international airlines that the deceased Nigerian had been on had been involved in Nigeria and what their destinations had been? Haven't found anything in the press, and can only wonder why not? Maybe to avoid a stampede during height of the tourist season. When I was at Gatwick the gates were packed in extreme. London was overpopulated in the extreme as well. Tough public health call.

AndresAvila

I am pretty scared to be honest. Heard news that a man in Germany died (or got affected) by the virus, and that some people were affected in Spain as well. Now I'm kind of hesitant to return to Europe :undecided:

By the way, don't advanced countries have any cure against this virus?

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
AndresAvila said:
By the way, don't advanced countries have any cure against this virus?
Looks as though the US has one, but supposedly untested on human beings - until two care workers had been returned. Quite something for the US Federal Government to allow an untested vaccine to be used.

jaran

At now my country was giving travel ban to african country getting Ebola suspect. We dont want on the same situation getting likes SARS diseases epidemic.

aless

Banned
we scare what the media and financial power want we scare.
why now talk about ebola ? why sometime talk about war and after that forget a war for jump the news in a new war ?

he fact all economy is built by war, if now have many war in africa and the virus ebola have a rasones.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
aless said:
we scare what the media and financial power want we scare.
why now talk about ebola ? why sometime talk about war and after that forget a war for jump the news in a new war ?

he fact all economy is built by war, if now have many war in africa and the virus ebola have a rasones.
True Aless. I also think that we are being brainwashed this way and that way depending on who owns the media and what favour the media is getting from someone.

For example, there are really bad things happening to innocent people all over the world, like genocide ongoing in Sudan, Somalia, every where in the world. But right now the world media are fixing our attention on Northern Iraq. Why Northern Iraq and Why Northern Croatia? And not Sudan, or Somalia or Thailand or Philippines? Could it be because there is plenty of oil in Northern Iraq? Could it be that the US is trying to work on reasons for "protecting innocent people" from those who may take over those oil resources?

Same with Northern Croatia. Why is our attention being focused on certain areas of the world to the exclusion of others?

I don't trust the press.

Peter

I'm not worried Ebola should spread here. I think most European countries are much better prepared and have better ways to spread information to the public, so that the outbreak can be stopped early. I think most people would be very cooperative.

Now we assume Ebola comes and Ebola goes but what if Ebola stays in the nature? I don't know how likely, but wouldn't it be possible for Ebola to find some natural reservoir, like a bat, in other parts of the world? I guess bats are not eaten in most of the world but if there were Ebola bats I still think there is a chance that it would spread to humans once in a while.

Congo-Kinshasa has now reported they have Ebola cases but that might be of a different strain compared to the one in western Africa.

GigaGreg

Staff member
I am not worried, UK will be prepared for this, but I feel sorry for these people who has this. I have been watching a documentary film about it and it is quite scary in the Africa.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Peter said:
I'm not worried Ebola should spread here. I think most European countries are much better prepared and have better ways to spread information to the public, so that the outbreak can be stopped early. I think most people would be very cooperative.

Now we assume Ebola comes and Ebola goes but what if Ebola stays in the nature? I don't know how likely, but wouldn't it be possible for Ebola to find some natural reservoir, like a bat, in other parts of the world? I guess bats are not eaten in most of the world but if there were Ebola bats I still think there is a chance that it would spread to humans once in a while.

Congo-Kinshasa has now reported they have Ebola cases but that might be of a different strain compared to the one in western Africa.
What you say is very likely Peter. Particularly if these people in the rural areas are going to be isolated in the way they have been. I'd imagine the scenario you've just described would happen exactly like that. You'll find areas that will be permanently ebola virus areas via bats or human beings if the world doesn't take charge in a very hands-on way, which maybe they can't as I can only imagine the cost of something like that would entail. Also not many volunteers who would be interested to risk their lives for something like that.

chinnuabhi

There is nothing to fear from this and not worry at all if pharmaceutical companies are developing new antibiotics or not. But A strong immune system and alkaline interior environment is all one needs to be protected from any scary "Viral." The many of the people don't understand this, so instead of helping them spread fear. we need to help by spreading these facts. what we really need is volunteers to come forward.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
I disagree chinnuabhi. The Ebola "virus" is a bit more lethal than what you describe. All of what you suggest is great to protect a person from a virus, but it is also important not to come into contact with a person who has the virus, either directly, or indirectly by touching where they have been. There's a good reason why people who have been exposed to the ebola virus are being quarantined.

chinnuabhi

Genesis said:
I disagree chinnuabhi. The Ebola "virus" is a bit more lethal than what you describe. All of what you suggest is great to protect a person from a virus, but it is also important not to come into contact with a person who has the virus, either directly, or indirectly by touching where they have been. There's a good reason why people who have been exposed to the ebola virus are being quarantined.

Accepted :good: I missed to mention few things like contact with victim but even people can help them taking minimum precautions.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Right they can, if they are educated. That is why the problems are so much bigger in the rural areas. Very difficult to educate people into keeping their own space and doing things differently. The level of hygiene is also not as high. No proper facilities. Maybe not even proper drinking water, or clean drinking water. No proper sanitation. No electricity. No way to properly sterlilize equipment. The odds are a bit stacked against those people.

Lycos

Must say it is motivating at least that there are survivors. Just heard on the news tonight that one of the nurses that had been treated in England had recovered from Ebola. He's right of course as he is very lucky that he got to be picked for the special vaccine treatment.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Lycos said:
Must say it is motivating at least that there are survivors. Just heard on the news tonight that one of the nurses that had been treated in England had recovered from Ebola. He's right of course as he is very lucky that he got to be picked for the special vaccine treatment.
Exact same thought went through my mind too. VERY lucky. Then saw a news flash in Nigeria I think where someone was trying to escape ebola quarantine and being forcefully loaded into the back of a truck. Now that is BAD LUCK!

Nightwatch

I've just seen something in the news about Dengue fever in Tokyo Japan of all places. Through mosquitoes. First cases in 70 years. I wonder whether people are beginning to get more and more immune challenged because of environmental stressors, overpopulation, food that is not as optimal in nutrients as it used to be, etc. etc. and that is why there are outbreaks of all kinds of strange infections like these. Worrisome.

Peter

I watched an interview with a health care worker the other day and they didn't have enough room for everyone so when the rain came they had to tell the sick people that were waiting at the entrance to go home, which is very bad because they could easily spread Ebola to the rest of their families. :undecided:

I get the impression they will not be able to stop this outbreak by doing what they are doing at the moment. They need more workers and better equipment, and probably more treatment centers. I think better protective equipment is crucial because 10% of the dead being healthcare workers is not acceptable. They also need to win the trust of the people so that they will listen and follow instructions, stop touching dead bodies, etc.

What would happen if they just let it run its course? Would it disappear by itself eventually or would there be some kind of equilibrium where Ebola stays at a constant level? When looking at the curves it looks like it will continue to spread exponentially, but of course it can't go on like that forever.

J

Justin

Peter said:
I get the impression they will not be able to stop this outbreak by doing what they are doing at the moment. They need more workers and better equipment, and probably more treatment centers. I think better protective equipment is crucial because 10% of the dead being healthcare workers is not acceptable. They also need to win the trust of the people so that they will listen and follow instructions, stop touching dead bodies, etc.
I agree. I think much more can be done by sending teams in. I'd imagine though it won't be easy to find large numbers of volunteers though.

rockforlife

Since it hit the media that the nurse from Texas spent time in Akron our whole town has gone insane with panic and misinformation. People assume instead of getting educated on Ebola. No matter how much it is stated that it is not an Air borne Virus I get told 10 times a day that I should be keeping my 6 kids at home and not let them go to School or anywhere. Now I understand being careful but I can't justify locking my family away from the World. Besides I think if we were all locked away from the outside world I bet there'd be a greater chances of one of us ending up dead than with the Ebola! Lol