Facebook Static Pages

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Just struggled with trying to learn how to make tabs in Facebook with static pages. The first effort didn't look too great, so have deleted it and will try again later..

BUT, while I've been wasting all of these learning hours, when the rest of the world is quite sophisticated with html and CSS (and Facebook apparently not), what exactly is the value of those static pages when one can't use links? They don't even look that great unless one does a printscreen of all of the pages, but what's the sense in that? For photos maybe that would be great, like a fold out or something, but for Web pages, can't see the sense when there are no links to click on.

The only thing I could think off is to design the page from scratch and use CSS as part of Facebook's HTML editor - as limited as it is.

Caroline Centa

Which kind of static page are you using? The one that I was using works well with html. I have used them a couple of ways:

#1 - To use them as a direct link to my website. Pros - it is easy and brings my website traffic, Cons - People don't like to be redirected in that manner so tend not to click the link.
#2 - As a separate page, which I design to look like my website and has links and what not within the page. Pros - Easy to use and customise to Facebook. Cons - you have to update manually when your update your products/website.
#3 - To display my website using the display a link option. Pros - This is good as when I update my website it updates automatically on the page in Facebook. Cons - I have to set up a separate theme for my website to display the right dimensions on the Facebook page.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the feedback Caroline. That's been very useful to me. I don't know why but my links aren't working, like Facebook cuts off the link when the page is saved. I probably should study some more and have a hunch I'd probably have to create the page from scratch for Facebook. I saw a youtube show last night so may check it out tonight.

Think before I spend as much time as I have been relative to the outcome, there must be other things I could do as well. I'll keep this project for luxury time. Also, I've noticed Facebook is about to bring out a "new look" design for pages. So may wait for that as well, as it may well obviate the need for the static pages.

Dogmatix

I can relate to struggling with Facebook, but for social media it rocks. Once one has worked through all of its challenges it does get better. Think one gets used to its messiness after a while. :p

oisd

I think there are some apps (Facebook Developers) are being availble to utilize the feature of Facebook static page. In websites, we can make it through iFrame or widgets. But straight in Facebook itself we have to go through advanced settings.

Pauline

I've got a Facebook static page too. Was also frustrating to put it together, but once one gets the hang of it, it works OK now.