Foreign Languages

Yozora

Who here knows or is studying at least one foreign language?
Which languages do you know, and is there a reason you decided to learn them?

I decided to learn Japanese so I could enjoy Japanese literature & manga in their original language. Now that I can do that, I'll probably restart learning Brazilian Portuguese one of these days, since I have a lot of relatives who it would be great to be able to speak to without resorting to using a dictionary, or a bilingual relative. XD

Snowflake

My first language is Portuguese. I've had to learn french and english for school, but for all the years I've had those classes I still didn't understand a thing of both languages. Just the grammar, when it came to translate or interpretation of a story I wouldn't understand a thing. It was only after I got out of high school that I started to understand english and that was because I wanted to tweet to my favorite celebs. I also had a site in two languages. You can imagine how that looked when I didn't know the basics. And because it's one of the most used languages on the web and everywhere and it's a must.

Books and movies really helped me learn the language.

Now I am trying to learn italian just because I like the sound of it. And French because I have family in France and would like to surprise them one day by speaking their idiom. But it's so hard. French people speak too fast, I can't keep up.

Yozora, you're brave. Portuguese is one of the hardest languages to learn. I'm known this language forever and I still make mistakes. If you need any kind of help with that let me know. :)

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
I took German at school. Am losing it though, as if one doesn't keep a language up, it gets rusty. I find when I'm in Germany though or watch TV in German, in comes back pretty quickly.

Yozora

Wow, so many languages! Schools teach languages here too (I took French, but only remember the days of the week now.), but they aren't that effective, so most people end up forgetting them.

@"tangledmemories"
Yeah, I've heard a lot of similar tales about people not learning much in classes, but wanting to watch or read things in the language, so they taught themselves. I was the same way with Japanese. :)

Good luck!!
One thing that helped me up my listening comprehension speed in Japanese was finding clips of the fastest-talking Japanese person I could find, and then playing those in the background while I did other things. Eventually I got used to the speed, and could keep up with it.

Also, thanks! When I have some time to start learning it again, I'll definitely let you know if I have any questions and such.<3

coffeekatt

I know norwegian, german, english,and I'm currently getting my undergraduate degree in Japanese language and culture so I can write kanji and hiragana and katakana and speak somewhat japanese. Also I took chinese for a semester.

Yozora

coffeekatt said:
I know norwegian, german, english,and I'm currently getting my undergraduate degree in Japanese language and culture so I can write kanji and hiragana and katakana and speak somewhat japanese. Also I took chinese for a semester.
Wow, you know a lot of languages! Always glad to see another Japanese speaker as well.^-^

_Hoh_

I think It would be very useful to learn mandarin, Chinese people give discounts when you speak their language.

Gregoric

I am Pole and thus I got to know probably the hardest language (at least in Europe). My English knowledge is pretty decent, well I am studying philology :) My third language is Arabic, which I know at the very basic level; I guess I could easily move to UAE or Egypt abd live there but I wouldn't call myself an Arabic translator ;) Additionally, I know some German language basics.

Nevertheless, I wish I knew Spanish. Recently, I started to like the language and thus I regret that I have never stumbled upon some basic course throughout my school years :(

yusha

Well, I do know 5 Languages Bengali, Hindi, Urdu, English, Arabic. But just one of them I can read but cannot understand the meaning which is Arabic, And also one of them I can understand the speaking but cannot read which is Urdu. Though I also know Spanish a little bit.

GigaBot

Administrator
I've studied English language and Literature. Also I've been learning Russian too, because my Country had a Communist regime when I was a kid, and we all learned Russian as a second foreign language, but I'm glad I did, because Russian is a beautiful Language.

tears

Romanian, Hungarian, Spanish and English;

Romanian, Hungarian - Because I'm half Romanian, half Hungarian;
Spanish - I lived in Spain for 2.5 years and I like spanish;
English (British) - I live in England.

It's fun when you find someone who speaks at least 3 out of those languages. You get a mix of phrases and accents that nobody else will understand :lol: