Form Submission: Webhosting Support Request

jimkirk

cPanel User Name: jedd359
Name of Domain: jedd.info
Detailed Description: accidentally deleted everything, i have a full backup but when i restore it it changes nothing... could you reset my account or something?
Additional Information: Not answered

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
I'm curious Jim. How does one accidentally delete everything? I've just been through deleting all of my files in another hosting account I have. and it took me most of the evening to do. Although it would seem to be logical, cPanel doesn't have a reset button either in WHM or in cPanel, so I had to do it all by hand and be very careful how I did it.

So being thoroughly exhausted after this experience and wasting a good portion of my evening on it, checked in at Gigarank to read that someone accidentally deleted "everything". So maybe you can understand my disbelief. Maybe there is a reset button somewhere that I've missed along the line?

Anyway, on a more serious note. Worst comes to the worst there is no reset button. We terminate the account and then recreate it. Great however that in the end it wasn't necessary to do. Glad you got it all fixed.

jimkirk

Genesis said:
I'm curious Jim. How does one accidentally delete everything? I've just been through deleting all of my files in another hosting account I have. and it took me most of the evening to do. Although it would seem to be logical, cPanel doesn't have a reset button either in WHM or in cPanel, so I had to do it all by hand and be very careful how I did it.

So being thoroughly exhausted after this experience and wasting a good portion of my evening on it, checked in at Gigarank to read that someone accidentally deleted "everything". So maybe you can understand my disbelief. Maybe there is a reset button somewhere that I've missed along the line?

Anyway, on a more serious note. Worst comes to the worst there is no reset button. We terminate the account and then recreate it. Great however that in the end it wasn't necessary to do. Glad you got it all fixed.

well i came home early morning after a night of drinking and getting ripped and had to finish a server migration, i owned another server on a different provider but it was so expensive i couldn't afford it so my plan was to transfer all my files i had on there to here, so i logged into cpanel and thought wow, look at all this garbage i gotta clean this place up. after backing up everything i highlighted everything and press delete in the file manager.

it looks like i wasn't in the public_html directory when i did that though, since when i checked back an hour later everything was gone and when i uploaded my files from the other server nothing was happening, i couldn't access the forum i transfered over. so i was like what the hell is going on, figured it out and then i thought of something -- something that was x3 easier and faster than what i was trying to do..

instead of deleting everything (i already had the forum software on your server, it was indentical except for the mysql database and the templating system) i could have just imported the mysql database and ftp'ed the files over... the longest part was transfering so many files to the server, took a good half hour i'd say and it only took a few seconds to delete

but yep, got it all straightened out now

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
:facepalm::heartylaugh:

Hilarious. This made my evening. Deleting files under the influence. I think un4saken our tech admin would have been proud of you, particularly with baling yourself out of it as well. Well done Jim!!!!!

Now if I had done the same I'd probably have done it under half an hour. :p

D4klutz

Drunk Admin..... Awesome :drinks::drinks: IT is so fun when tipsy. I used to work Hell Desk 2nd shift. During the winter, my drink of choice was Apple Cider spiked with a good dose of Jack Daniels. It made my nights go so much faster, and easier. I don't do that now, though, as I have much more responsibility.:diablo: And, I don't drink but on very rare occasions, and with great moderation.