Freenom (aka dot.tk) - Changing nameservers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XENGS

Does anyone here have a freenom domain (.tk, .cf, .ml and so on)? I seem to be unable to change the nameservers an an already-registered domain, it keeps directing me to the login/default page...
I assume it's a server-side bug, but it could just as well have to do with my browser, I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar issues and whether they've managed to get them changed...

binil

I had used .tk domains earlier, had no trouble changing the dns servers in dot.tk control panel. But I haven't used it in some time now. So if this is a new issue, I am sorry.
.tk domains are not reliable to use for a long term purpose. Use only for experimentation.

XENGS

Yeah, I've had a domain name taken away in the past, but the thing is this is a zero-budget "project" and I need a TLD domain, so I have no choice but to use those free domains... I wish I could use the old dot.tk panel, unfortunately it just redirects you to freenom now... They've merged 3 or 4 different domains under one single panel for some reason... I'll probably give it a go on a few other browsers once I get my hosting ( :yahoo: ) but I'll probably have to register a new domain... Again... (Done it 4 times so far, ugh)

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
XENGS said:
Yeah, I've had a domain name taken away in the past, but the thing is this is a zero-budget "project" and I need a TLD domain, so I have no choice but to use those free domains... I wish I could use the old dot.tk panel, unfortunately it just redirects you to freenom now... They've merged 3 or 4 different domains under one single panel for some reason... I'll probably give it a go on a few other browsers once I get my hosting ( :yahoo: ) but I'll probably have to register a new domain... Again... (Done it 4 times so far, ugh)
I've been using dot.tk for years and although the new freenom set-up is different, once one gets used to it it's more efficient and it also has a much greater variety of free domains now. I like .cf and .ga as well.

Yozora

I would try getting a hold of Freenom support
Tried it last year when I was running into a bug while trying to change some profile info, and they were surprisingly prompt.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Oops sorry. Just read the OP for the first time :p.

@XENGS have you ticked the radio button for custom name servers? I forgot to do that once - also you have to click on submit and the submit button [Change Name Servers]. It may not always be that visible - you've got to scroll down a bit:

CapturexXChn.png

XENGS

Yup, and as soon as I click Change Nameservers it gets me back to the login page (or default page if I have remember me ticked) with no changes... I guess it's probably got to do with my browser then :p

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
XENGS said:
I guess it's probably got to do with my browser then :p
and DNS. Which browser are you using?

Firefox is not as good as it used to be and looks as though IE is making some headway. More and more I find when something doesn't work in my Firefox it works in Internet Explorer. It used to be the other way round. At least my Firefox is not crashing any longer.

ogah

freenom have full problem with changing nameserver.
sometime in domain control panel the nameserver successfull changed but never resolved

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
ogah said:
sometime in domain control panel the nameserver successfull changed but never resolved
Never happened to me before Ogah. Maybe I'm just lucky. :p

ogah

Genesis said:
ogah said:
Never happened to me before Ogah. Maybe I'm just lucky. :p

maybe :)
i got that problem few times

topsey5000

I have had the same problems severan times with freenom....what i do is either change to VPN connection with sometimes does not work for some reason or just use different browsers or try a different PC ...i know, does not seem verry logical, but dats how i do it and it works.

Affan44

It changes after some hours for me, so maybe wait some while? I've been using freenom for months and I haven't had any issue with it. Try contact support.

Status
Not open for further replies.