Gaming Server and general interest web page

johnnydays

Hi everybody.

This is my first post and I hope it fits the "quality post" standard.

My intended use for this server is to host a webpage of general interest and a MC-PE gaming server for me and my children.

It would be nice to hear from you if this use is OK for gigarank.

It is my first time setting up such a service but I am willing to learn what is needed.

Best Regards,

JohnnyDays

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
@johnydays
You won't be able to set up a server on shared hosting, but a webpage of general interest would work.

As someone previously mentioned you could use a VPS for a games server, but it would have to be higher specifications than the one offered for a free VPS at Gigarank. May be better to look for a VPS elsewhere.

I am going to make a suggestion seeing at least 2 have talked about game servers. Have you ever thought about running it from your own computer? There is software called Xampp to make your home comp into a webserver.You can run it from Windows. I use it all the time for testing. If you have a sparecomp laying around, you could do afresh install of windows, set up a good fire wall and have your computers connect to it either by cable or by internet. You can even get a no-ip address and name to route traffic that way.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
strokerace said:
I am going to make a suggestion seeing at least 2 have talked about game servers. Have you ever thought about running it from your own computer? There is software called Xampp to make your home comp into a webserver.You can run it from Windows. I use it all the time for testing. If you have a sparecomp laying around, you could do afresh install of windows, set up a good fire wall and have your computers connect to it either by cable or by internet. You can even get a no-ip address and name to route traffic that way.
Excellent suggestion strokerace! :good:

I did a cursory Google on the subject and using a home computer with Xampp seems to be a popular way of running a home based games server.

Genesis said:
strokerace said:
Excellent suggestion strokerace! :good:

I did a cursory Google on the subject and using a home computer with Xampp seems to be a popular way of running a home based games server.

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to take away any business from gigarank. But I can see it causing issues with resources. In all honesty, if you can afford $200-$300 for a new mobo that supports 8 gigs of ddr3 ram, it would be an awesome game server.

I picked up an intel atom board that supports 4gs ddr3 and it only cost me $120.

HardCore

well when i get my free vps im gonna use xampp and vm box for running a private game server.Xammp to run the website and vm box to run the server.Is This Possible?

HardCore said:
well when i get my free vps im gonna use xampp and vm box for running a private game server.Xammp to run the website and vm box to run the server.Is This Possible?

No, no games allowed on any hosting packages