Gigapages.net - Home of the free hosting sub-domain?

Shall we use Gigapages.net as the new free sub-domain?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
This is a questions to our existing members and new members!

In the new year (2015) how about switching from Gi9.co to Gigapages.net as the main sub-domain for the free cPanel web hosting service that Gigarank provide.

All existing account holders can keep the Gi9.co sub-domain should they wish.

What will change is that new free hosting accounts created from 1st January 2015 will have the gigapages.net sub-domain.

What do you think?

GigaGreg

Staff member
I like this idea because I dont know what even does gi9.co means tbh and gigapages.net will be suitable for running the website without better domain, because gigapages sounds cool even though the website addresa would be long for some people.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
I like the new sub-domain as kid you not, I just couldn't get a grip on Gi9.co. Had to look it up EVERY time. Now Gigapages.net I've already memorized, and only after once looking at it, it makes great sense. So I totally support the change.

The Forum will still be gigarocket.net though? The Gigapages.net is only for free hosting accounts?

GigaGreg

Staff member
Genesis said:
I like the new sub-domain as kid you not, I just couldn't get a grip on Gi9.co. Had to look it up EVERY time.

Exactly the same for me.

Gigapages is easy to remember and it also shows a connection with gigarank, not like gi9.co which was nothing like that. Gigarank and Gigapages. As it comes to the new year, DJB doing a lot of work to improve Gigarank, which is great.

Most folk just bookmak your site once they visit and most folk just follow links in the first place so the longer name doesn't really make any difference in that sense.

Not so sure about it being gigapages.net though, there's a lot of sites out there with giga in them, wouldn't really make folk think of gigarank right off the bat, wouldn't gigarank.co be a better idea, no doubt about association that way, just a thought is all. :drinks:

Snowflake

I REALLY like gigapages way more than the other one because it's longer and easier to remember. Will both be available? It would be nice to let the hostees choose which suit them better. :clapping:

seliol

un4saken said:
Why not use both?
My vote on that.
I happen to like short URLs but it's true gigapages is easier to remember. Gi9.co is easy to write.

Sent from my XTab970 using a squirrel

Peter

At first I thought I was going to say that I prefer gi9.co because it's shorter. On the other hand gi9 is kind of cryptic and .co is not one of the most common TLDs so it could be hard to remember if you tell it to friends. Gigapages.net sounds good. If something like giga.net was available it would be better because it's shorter but I understand short names like that are hard to find.

I use my own domain so don't pay too much attention to what I think.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Giga.net sounds cool. Checked it and doesn't look as though it is available. giga.uk and giga.website look interesting though.

altommo

I think the shorter domain is better but gigapages is easier to remember I think the option of either/or is eould be good as it wil lkeep everyone happy those that like short urls and those looking for more easily rememberable one.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
As of 1st January 2015 we will also be providing yoursite.gigapages.net as free sub-domain option alongside yoursite.gi9.co!

Although the brevity of gi9.co is nice and it really doesn't matter if you send someone a link electronically, there are still times when I tell someone the URL of my site and it would be nice to to have something that has a better chance of sticking in someone's memory. Gigapages.net has a nice ring to it.

Saito

I will be changing my DNS for here but I would suggest to stick with Gi9.co I believe in shorter, simpler, better.

Status
Not open for further replies.