GIMP Tutorial - working with layers to create a button

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Tonight found this great GIMP tutorial for how to create a glossy button from scratch working with millions of layers. I'm must too lazy for this kind of detail, but it is a great tutorial for how to work with layers. And how to merge all of the layers and export the image as .png. Previously I just asked GIMP to ignore everything when I saved, but now learned that the export option has a good reason for being there. :p

[video=youtube]

GigaGreg

Staff member
With the photoshop you can do it with few clicks and less layers. In GIMP you can do more details. Although the tutorial is very nice.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds as though Photoshop is the answer. Maybe one of the projects I should be putting on my "to do" list.

GigaGreg

Staff member
When I start earning money, I would subscribe for the Photoshop Creative Cloud, which is very cheap to get the photoshop. Subscribing is way better than spending a $700 or more on it.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
I remember you mentioned the subscription before. One can subscribe for a few packages at the same time as well. Will check that out. But probably not immediately. Could be a summer project when I have more time available.

x86

does GIMP equate to PS? is there a equivalent program like Illustrator for linux distro

Yozora

x86 said:
does GIMP equate to PS? is there a equivalent program like Illustrator for linux distro
Photoshop has more features, GIMP is probably the most powerful free graphics program though.
As for Illustrator, I've heard Inkscape (http://inkscape.org) is good, but haven't used it myself.

x86

i downloaded GIMP but i haven't really played with it., will look at inkscape.org later. i read somewhere that GIMP become (more) edgy with plugins.