Help needed with Website (forum) migration

Spelunca

cPanel User Name: spelunca
Name of Domain: luxspelunca.gi9.co
Detailed Description: Hello! ;3;

I have some questions concerning the free hosting. (I'm really sorry if this is the wrong place >_<)

First off I'm moving from another host (valcato) to here for several reasons. The problem is that I need to move all of my data from my old forum - members, threads, posts etc - to my new one. This is a mybb forum so I was wondering if you guys offered any sort of transfer - will you do it or will you at least allow it?

Right now I have an empty forum set up on my domain until I can get the data moved, and I'm hoping that this will be enough to prevent it from being removed after the first 48h period....Speaking of which the Terms and conditions say I have to make at least 5 posts a month on here to ensure activity, so my question is what if I don't completely make five? If I make four will my site be deleted? I'm just curious as to how strict that is.

The terms and conditions also said no bots and things of that nature, which made me wonder because on mybb bots frequently make spam accounts. We always make it a point to delete these accounts as soon as they're made (as they make the forum look spammy) but I was wondering if, to follow this rule I have to disable them somehow.

Lastly, I'm curious as to how much warning I'll get if, for whatever reason my site is taken down...say I'm very active on here, would you give me any warning whatsoever if we didn't do something right on our site?

Thanks so much for your time!
Additional Information: Not answered

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Spelunca. DJB (Chris - the owner of Gigarank) will be the best person to advise on the transfer. For the rest, please take your time.

In the meanwhile, you probably have already done so, but if not, can you please make a full backup of your Website at the previous host. Download it to your hard drive, and then upload it to your root directory in your cpanel at Gigarank. You can then write to Chris or me and let us know where you placed your file.

Here is a tutorial about how the backup is usually done - just in case the steps may be useful to you:

[video=youtube]

Spelunca

Alright thanks a lot!

I have a friend who I can get to help me out, so if he can't figure it out then I'll contact Chris XD

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
OK great Spelunca. Let me know if you need any help. I'll close this thread for now. If you need more help, just open a new request.

Spelunca

cPanel User Name: spelunca
Name of Domain: luxspelunca
Detailed Description: Hey guys o..o

So I mentioned in a support request that I was trying to figure out how to move my host. So you said to just tell you if I needed any help. Well I'm still really confused about how to do it exactly?? like all of the tutorials I've found are really unclear about like, which files need to be edited and where they need to be uploaded yeah idk @_@. SO anyway if you could help out that'd be greatly appreciated. ^^
Additional Information: Not answered

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
@Spelunca. I've merged your request of today with your previous request.

How big is your Site and how big is the Database? If it is not too big you can do all of this yourself. So go into your Website where the Forum is right now and check your mysql database size and let us know what it is. Also check the size of your Website.

The following needs to happen for the final migration:

1. You need to make a complete backup of your Website at your other host. Also make complete backups of the databases. And make sure you have downloaded the .gz back-ups to the hard disk of your computer. If you check the tutorials with this thread you'll learn how to do all of that, i.e. export your databases as well as backup the databases. VERY IMPORTANT. And save them to your hard disk of your computer.

2. Now check carefully through your Database details in the cpanel of your other host and write down all of the important names like the name of your database, the database user name, etc. Again, go through the tutorials as they explain to you how to do that. You may not need any of this, but it will prepare you 100% in case you need to tweak your configuration files. Also check what your FTP login details are if you are going to FTP your Website. You can get it by clicking on FTP in the FTP section of your cpanel. It shows the username details for you.

3. Check through the tutorials to see whether you can do this yourself. If not, and your Forum size is too big, let us know.

For me the easiest has always been with FileZilla FTP if it is a large Website and cPanel File Manager if it is a small Website. You transfer all of your Website from your current host to your hard disk. Then from your hard disk to your new host. Only part you must make sure is that you transfer the files from your PUBLIC FOLDER to your hard disk, and then from your hard disk to the PUBLIC FOLDER of your hosting account with us. Everything should work perfectly. If you want to you can try that as the simplest and quickest solution (after you have made very good backups). And before you change your domain name.

Let us know how it goes.

Here is a second tutorial you can work through - probably one that is really suitable for you as it goes in great detail:

[video=youtube]

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Spelunca. We've got our lead technician here and hopefully if you are around can you please make a FULL backup of your Website at the host where you are as soon as you can. Download that back-up to your hard disk. Then upload the back-up from your hard disk to the Public Folder of your hosting account at Gigarank. Then let us know when you have done that, and un4saken will do his magic with it.

You can use FileZilla to upload the back-up to your hosting account. Your Gigarank FTP details you can find in your cPanel. Just go to the FTP section of cPanel and click on the domain and you'll see the details for your FTP account. Then use those details for File Zilla to upload the back-up.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
@Spelunca. Suggest you don't delay this any longer. As our timeline for suspending accounts that have not been used is now. You can always ask us to open a new account when you are ready.

Spelunca

err yeah I might wait a bit just because school just started back up so it's really hard to get things done. @_@ Maybe I should just wait and at the end of next week or later open a new account?

Spelunca

Okay so I backed up my old website and such, and I got filezilla up and working but for some reason it won't connect to the server...right now I have my information set as

host: ftp://luxspelunca.gi9.co

Username: Spelunca

Password: *mypassword*

I have my firewalls turned off as well so I'm not sure what's blocking the connection. o-O

Sorry to ask for so much help..but I just don't understand how to get it to work >_<

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Spelunca. Check your FTP account. When you're in cPanel click on it "Configure Client" link in line with your FTP Account.

Only other thing I can think off is not to type the ftp before luxspelunca.gi9.co

Spelunca

Hmm okay here's a couple of questions:

When you say full backup do you mean from my mybb admin cpanel or from my ftp?

Also, do I have to use filezilla?? Because I don't think I'm going to be able to get it to connect to my ftp anytime soon...so I was wondering if I could just upload the files directly to my new ftp and then have un4saken do the complicated stuff like before? (if that offer's still up that is @_@)

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Spelunca. You really need to go into your cPanel and familiarize yourself with it. We cannot do that for you. If you check your cPanel you will notice there is a backup wizard. You can click either on that wizard icon or backup icon, and you then need to follow common sense steps to making a FULL backup of your Website. Once the backup has been made you have to click on the .tar.gz folder and it will then give you an option to save the backup to your hard disk.

To be on the safe side it is also advisable, particularly if your mySQL database is very large, to make a separate backup of your database. Again, it is really very easy but you need to get into your cPanel and familiarize yourself with the steps.

Once you've done the above, and you're worried about using Filezilla, go into your cPanel and click on the File Manager. Select Webroot and then use the upload button to upload your .tar.gz folder to your cPanel. If you have managed to make a separate backup of your database, also upload it to the same directory.

Then let us know.

Spelunca

Alrighty I've got everything uploaded. I installed mybb to luxspelunca.gi9.co (not sure if I had to do that but whatever) and I uploaded the backup of my old forum to the public_html, it's in the GZ file.

I don't believe there's anything else I need to do correct?

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
There is no FULL BACKUP file (.tar.gz) in your account Spelunca. Un4saken looked for that .tar.gz backup and to my embarrassment couldn't find it. I've checked your account and to my total amazement :shock: couldn't find it either.

PLEASE, take the trouble to study the tutorials and instructions below carefully and follow the steps CORRECTLY:

1. Make a FULL backup of your cPanel account at your previous Web host. Go into your previous host's cPanel. And then follow the steps below correctly. Just like the YouTube below shows. You need to DOWNLOAD the .tar.gz file from your previous host's cPanel to your HARD DISK.

2. Save that FULL .tar.gz backup folder to your hard disk. Just like the You Tube below shows.

3. Then upload that FULL .tar.gz backup to your cPanel account with us. You can use your FileManager to do this. I've included a second tutorial below to show you how to upload the .tar.gz folder with FileManager.

Once you have uploaded the .tar.gz file to your cPanel at Gigarank, PLEASE don't unzip the file, keep the .tar.gz EXACTLY as it is for un4saken to recognize and find

Then let us know it is there.

Here is a YouTube Tutorial for making a FULL BACKUP of your Website at your old Host:

[video=youtube]

And here is how to upload the backup with your FileManager. Once you have uploaded the .tar.gz file, PLEASE don't unzip the file, keep the .tar.gz EXACTLY as it is for un4saken to recognize and find:

[video=youtube]

Spelunca

Sorry for the delayed response

My computer is having serious malfunctions (either a hardrive or a bios error were still trying to figure that out) so I haven't been able to respond.

I definitely followed those steps and it was there afterwords so I'm not sure what happened....how about I try it again and this time post a screen shot just to make sure you know where it is?