hollywood or bollywood

rave

hello

what you think bollywood rules in world or hollywood?

more than 1000 movies released in bollywood per year and income is so far.i think bollywood gives good fight against hollywood.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Definitely Hollywood. For the simple reason the budgets for movies in Hollywood are huge in comparison with Bollywood. Bollywood does have many high quality movies, but just not on the huge scale of those of Hollywood.

roshin8

I feel even though Bollywood releases 1000 movies a year, the quantity supersedes the quality. The quality I'm talking about is not the resolution but the rating of the movie. Hollywood albeit releases less number of movies compared to Bollywood, they release really good movies most of the time. 2015 was not a good year for Hollywood. A lot of corny movies were released but 2016 is going to be a blast.
Lot of awesome movies coming out this year.

riddict

I don't think Bollywood movies can outmatch Hollywood for now. Even if they release 1000 movie per year or more. I agree that they also have high quality movies in the story, but for other points? I don't think so. Hollywood still sit at the top with the CGI, Story, actress/actor, Director, etc.

Barnum4000

Bollywood have over the top physics in their movies like someone being able to stab someone with a banana and killing him or most commonly cars being flung in the air like gravity doesn't exist. I don't think I have ever seen a Bollywood movie I just know of it.

IMO Bollywood cannot beat Hollywood at the moment since I don't feel that it reaches out to everyone ATM it is rare to see Bollywood movie being advertised and to be even shown in the local cinema in my case at least.

fouadChk

rave said:
hello

what you think bollywood rules in world or hollywood?

more than 1000 movies released in bollywood per year and income is so far.i think bollywood gives good fight against hollywood.

This is a though question and (has some political dimension to it but) its not measure by the amount of the output but by the quality and the receptiveness of the targeted audiences. The wisest response should be neither of them should rule/dominate the Cinema industry. But people aren't wise... far from it. But the fact of the matter is that Bollywood reigns in the South-East Asia (where it has a faithful audience) while Hollywood has a global dominance projecting the still ongoing US hegemony.... but watch out----the decline is on the Horizon!

Personally, Bollywood has/had zero effect on me but I've watched few of its movies Eons ago (while growing up.) But my 'struggle' with Hollywood is still ongoing. I love picking on them every now and then and there is no shortage of opportunity for that.

GeekGuy

There are some good stories coming out of bollywood, but most movies are just repetition with same old story. Also bollywood doesn't represent entire india, mostly it covers north india. South india has their own film industry with different stories and 'over the top physics' as @Barnum4000 said.

Hollywood comes out with versatile plots and stories with big budget. I mostly watch sci-fi movies from Hollywood which is almost absent in Bollywood.

fouadChk

GeekGuy said:
There are some good stories coming out of bollywood, but most movies are just repetition with same old story. Also bollywood doesn't represent entire india, mostly it covers north india. South india has their own film industry with different stories and 'over the top physics' as @Barnum4000 said.
(..........................)

Interesting input; I wasn't aware of this North/South India dichotomy.

GeekGuy

fouadChk said:

Also south india is divided in 4 major languages for films, plus in north-india many states have film industry in their own language :p
India is a country of languages.

fouadChk

GeekGuy said:
fouadChk said:

Also south india is divided in 4 major languages for films, plus in north-india many states have film industry in their own language :p
India is a country of languages.

Thanks!.. For the language/ethnic/religious diversity inside India, that's common knowledge that is taught to our kids around here. What I was referring to in my previous post is the reported dichotomy between the North and South of India in the Cinema Industry... that's what was new to me as someone who doesn't have any connection with the Indian culture and at any level.

The question that I would ask here , is Why?.. Why and for what purpose is there such a huge industry for Cinema in India?... We know that Wealth disparity is huge inside India (between regions etc..) and poverty is endemic... Is that why?... to keep the poor and the destitute dreaming and entertained by offering him a transient escape from the harsh realities surrounding him?...

Hollywood plays much the same role both inside the US and around the World.......

Cinema/(film making) as an Art is fine but when it turns to a full blown industry it stops being one and turns to something else that only money/political agendas/etc... drives...

GeekGuy

Consider it as diversity in Europe. The difference would be Europe as a continent has many countries, India is one. UK loves English , France loves French, Germany loves German language etc...
With so many languages, not everybody's going to learn other languages in India. Funny thing is if the movie is good, the same movie is going to be remade in different language :D

riddict

The last bollywood movie I watched was Bajrangi Bhaijan (Sorry if I spell it wrong). I plan to watch Dilwale :D soon.

rave

GeekGuy said:
With so many languages, not everybody's going to learn other languages in India. Funny thing is if the movie is good, the same movie is going to be remade in different language :D

riddict

rave said:
riddict said:
The last bollywood movie I watched was Bajrangi Bhaijan (Sorry if I spell it wrong). I plan to watch Dilwale :D soon.

I have watched the movie (dilwale), it is not really that good as you said. The conflict is not built well.

shubhampreet

Um.... Bollywood is not as old as Hollywood. So, that's why budget is less, so as less rating, but honestly, they are increasing at a tremendous rate :rolleyes:

mimiro

I don't like bollywood films, because there are in the 2 bad points :
1. There are very very romantic
2. There are very very hyperbolic and imaginary. so i laughing in the serius films!