How happy are you with your Internet speed, service and price?

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not happy with my Internet speed and I think I'm paying too much for it compared with other countries. My Internet Service provides me with 8 mbps however the download speed is consistently below 8 mbps, like 7.5 plus. The upload speed is consistently under 1mbps. Cost of the service is approx. 100USD.

In the UAE we only have two services: Etisalat (belongs to the Government) and du. My service is with the devil I know - Etisalat. Just noticed that its competitor, du, has a package for 16 mbps with 4 mbps upload speed. However, it's such a bloody pain to actually get the service to be installed, either with Etisalat or du. So who knows, probably better to stick with the devil I know.

How about you. Do you also have broadband where you are? Are you happy with the service? And do you think you're paying a reasonable price for what you are getting?

whsecurity

I think it's a bit expensive compare to our standards but more reasonably from yours

Down 50mbps, up 5 mbps and only for 54Euro. We are near to our provider so we have a small deviation.

Before you try any other provider just ask any one who have this connection in the same building with yours.

PeaceSigns

I'm like lucky if I get a fast server where I can get like 1.5mbs and it's very rare - if I do, I'm pretty much maxing my download speed and have to be concerned about bandwidth limits (roughly 70gb). Way too expensive.

whsecurity

New connection from a new company. I'm thinking to test it....

It's optical fibre and gives 4 packs:

1. down: 10Mbps Up:1Mbps price: 15euro
2. down: 20Mbps Up:2Mbps price: 23euro
3. down: 40Mbps Up:4Mbps price: 33euro
4. down: 120Mbps Up:8Mbps price: 73euro

And Cable TV at those prices and not up to 40 but exactly 40.

tim

Right now on wifi, I am getting 6 mbps. I am not sure how fast it is wired. We have DSL+basic cable for around $50 USD. If it were me personally, I'd have cable internet only and stream hulu and netflix. Moving out of parents soon.. hahaha.

iamjolsoncruz

Very happy! :) I receive 100MB/s it's pretty fast for me! :) Plus for a price of 1000 pesos! gosh it's so cheap.
I do prefer LTE though. I tried my friend's internet it's blazing fast he could stream a youtube video for just a minute. no joke. :yahoo:

toysareforboys

My internet provider was giving me a very good combo price for my internet, only $40 CDN per month, unlimited, 300mbps download 10mbps upload!

3556333058.png

But, they kept increasing the price of the Cable TV and Home Phone service. So I cancelled the home phone service and went with Xinflix ($9/mo unlimited calling to anywhere in north america, all features included, free number porting, etc.) but then they raised the price of the internet to $100/mo!!! :( Our contract with them expires the end of August so we will be shopping around at that time. The same company we went with for the $9/mo home phone has cable internet, 60mbps download 10mbps upload unlimited for $65/mo so we will probably go that route. They also offer IPTV service for $50/mo but with Popcorn Time I'm not sure I would really pay for TV ever again.

-Jamie M.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
OK, this half answers my question about Internet in Canada (I'm an expat in UAE probably returning at end of year - maybe back to Vancouver but lately thinking why not somewhere else in Canada?). That speed is to die for .... WOW!!!! The 60mbps/10mbps is also not shabby at all. Toronto. Think I'm adding that to my options of where to go in Canada.

toysareforboys

Genesis said:
OK, this half answers my question about Internet in Canada (I'm an expat in UAE probably returning at end of year - maybe back to Vancouver but lately thinking why not somewhere else in Canada?). That speed is to die for .... WOW!!!! The 60mbps/10mbps is also not shabby at all. Toronto. Think I'm adding that to my options of where to go in Canada.

Toronto isn't as pretty as Vancouver but there are TONS of options for Internet, Home Phone, TV, Cell Phone now! No more just Rogers, Bell, Telus, now there are tons of providers. I only pay $6/mo for my cell phone ;)

Canada would love to have you back. Have a safe trip.

-Jamie M.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Jamie. All of those toys are a priority in my life. Makes Toronto a tech paradise of a kind. :p

Gauravs90

Here in India we have to pay very huge amount for few GBs of internet. Even with the 3G which cost a whooping money here and 512k speed is called broadband here.

TheMisterExplorer

I pay 50 Euro for internet tv and phone in the same package and I am not happy. The provider says that I should get at least 100mb/s
But I get under 100 then I call them to clarify why I dont get 100 they start to put me some more charges I will try to get my own router because the one they have to me it's not good maybe that's the problem

yuninho2005

Hello all. I don't want anybody crying here so please behave.
I'm from Cuba. Months ago the internet available only for foreigner living here was using Dial up max speed 33 Kbps and the prize 150 USD Monthly. Now we have Wifi spots in not to many places of the country and Hotels. APs for 30 persons each and 1Mbs per person but the bad news is that we have to pay 2USD an hour. So am i happy? What do you think?