How is the title attribute displayed on mobile devices?

Peter

I like adding a title attribute here and there to give extra information. Usually nothing you can't be without but still quite useful information. On traditional computers the title text is displayed when you hover over the element but on mobile devices you don't really hover, do you? Or is hovering accomplished by just holding you finger over an element?

Peter

The alt attribute is used on images and for a different purpose. The title attribute can be used on any element. The only browser I know of that shows the alt attribute as a tooltip if the title attribute is missing is Internet Explorer.

I don't agree with the article that the title attribute is useless. I think it's still useful, for those that can see it. The trick is to use it only for non-crucial information that you would have otherwise left out. I think this page (the post editing page) is a good example of a good use of the title attribute. If you hover over the icons above the textarea it displays a tooltip about their use, but if you can't see it it's no big deal because most people are familiar with these kinds of icons and it's not that much work trying them out if you don't know.

Peter said:
The alt attribute is used on images and for a different purpose. The title attribute can be used on any element. The only browser I know of that shows the alt attribute as a tooltip if the title attribute is missing is Internet Explorer.

I don't agree with the article that the title attribute is useless. I think it's still useful, for those that can see it. The trick is to use it only for non-crucial information that you would have otherwise left out. I think this page (the post editing page) is a good example of a good use of the title attribute. If you hover over the icons above the textarea it displays a tooltip about their use, but if you can't see it it's no big deal because most people are familiar with these kinds of icons and it's not that much work trying them out if you don't know.

Oh its useless alright. It been obsolete since the the early 2000's. Tooltips, etc, are all gone now. But, ALT is not what you want either. There is another name for it, title is not it either.

I think what you are trying to accomplish is called class=overlaycontent