How Many computers do you have in your household?

Inception

=============================================
How many computers do you have in your household?
=============================================

1. Name the computers you currently own if you can
2. Tell us how many are in your house!
==========================================

Personally, I have four computers in my household, two of them are laptops, not exactly sure what those two are but I know one has a crappy 2GB of RAM and a 1.5ghz Celeron processor, the other one is the exact opposite of crappy, it's got 16GB of RAM and an i5 processor, it's a Dell but as I said I don't have an exact name. The other two are desktops, there's mine which I use as my primary PC - A Dell Optiplex 755 8GB of DDR2 RAM clocked @800mhz, an Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 clocked @2.33ghz(Overclocked to 2.88), I will be upgrading it to a Core 2 Quad soon, as that is the max the motherboard will support, this computer is overall extremely decent, the graphics card is integrated but I will soon be getting a Radeon HD 6450 soon which is a pretty decent graphics card, the computer has a dell 0gm819 board. The other desktop is my brother's but he barely ever uses it so it's sort of just my secondary, it has 4GB of DDR2 RAM clocked @333mhz. It is a Compaq Presario(i'll have the model number soon) it has a Pentium D processor clocked @3.44ghz and an integrated graphics card.

Sander k

At the moment one desktop and 3 laptops.
The desktop is an I5 with 16gb ram. One laptop is a Sony with an I5 and 4gb ram. The other 2 laptops are dual cores with 2gb ram. All of them run on Windows 8, all tho the desktop is a dual boot with Mandriva Linux on it as well.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Three computers. This is my desktop I use the most. And also love the most. It's generic and was put together from a little bit of this and a little bit of that. The tower looks like a ghost. Real character in every part that has been put together.

Desktop 1 - Rocky II
Intel(R) Core(TM) 2Duo CPU
2.00 GB RAM
128 GB Hard Disk
Samsung LED 21.5 inch S22B150 (acquired at beginning of year - too big for specs really but I'm living with it - narrowed it down to 1280x1024)
Windows XP Professional 2002 Service Pack 3
Nvidia GeForce 7300SE/7200GS

Desktop 2 - Dell 9020871 USD (518 British Pound Sterling).

The technician loaded about every Microsoft software 2010 that one could possibly think off on the computer. Once I finally launch it, I'll probably completely redo it. For now it's back-up for Desktop No. 1 (Rocky II).

It looks like this:

item_XL_6459567_3880038.jpg

Third computer is a laptop that I'm crazy about - tried and tested and well travelled - two years old, one of my best purchases ever:

toshiba-portege-z830-277x300.jpg

pcallstar

It would be 7 if i could get this tablet unlocked, but i can only claim 6 running boxes at the moment :smile:

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
pcallstar said:
It would be 7 if i could get this tablet unlocked, but i can only claim 6 running boxes at the moment :smile:
Interesting term for it should remember that. What are the running boxes?

GigaGreg

Staff member
3 mackbooks pro 2gb ram, toshiba satellite c120, 2x gaming pcs, netbook and a tablet.

pcallstar

Genesis said:
pcallstar said:
Interesting term for it should remember that. What are the running boxes?

1. Upstairs is a quad-core compaq desktop that I don't use much, win7, and nice, but i'll wait till warranty is up to make it a real computer....what if i wanna sell it? hehe

2. This comp, an Acer Aspire 7739Z laptop. Running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS/openSUSE 13.1 (both x64). I did image the recovery partiton before i destroyed windows 7, so what i think will happen (once i get all the files i want to keep off this hd) is a triple boot.

3. Dell Optiplex GX520 horizontal desktop. Hyperthreaded P4 box. (Running Ubuntu 12.10 LTS/Windows 7 Ultimate).

4. HP compaq (another P4 HT box). It has Ubuntu Server 12.10 on it, but it's currently unneeded.

5. The box known as "WhoreBitch". Its a presario 6000 (2.8gig p4/533mhz fsb/2gb ram) maxed out. Also not running atm.

(This box is still around because of its cool history. A dude we used to get alot of parts from (Mark) had literally smashed this tower in the back, denting it in 3-4 inches into the case. The box had sat in this basement taking water damage for awhile, and had dried up with this crusty calcium/lime film across the entire board and case. When i carried this (and a bunch of server towers) to the truck...i smelled urine...no shit. so we got out of there. I spent about 2 days on the case and hardware: cleaning it carefully. Franklin (a tech that works for me) pulled the dent out of the case and I got it all cleaned up. I put the board back in it. At this time it had no facepate or sidecover for the tower.

I throw in some shitty 40gb. a gig of ram, and a cdrw/dvd combo -at this point we had named it whorebitch and we were so treating it like one. (we pulled you outta the gutter, hoe, and got you on your feet, you think you are worthy of a dvd-rw, no way, lol).

So this box never had a PSU from the start. I go grab one from the stock and, go figure, this is some wierd mount for the sucker, screw holes don't line up at all. i get 2 of them to line up, and then jimmy jacked a machine screw sideways through the fan grate cutout, and she was solid. plugged it into the board. It actually had an AGP 8x slot so i gave it a 128mb geforce 5200, why not, the AGP card stack is getting tall, lol. I go through the cpu's and found the max p4 for this box, it was even exactly a 533mhz fsb to match. So yet another hurdle, the damn heatsink/cooling fan, I don't have another of on hand, and the fan was toast. I went to the scrapbox and got out a dead raedon9000 i know i just threw away and stole its cooling fan, then used 2 inch drywall screws to literally screw it to the top of the heatsink, between fins. it was solid. No faceplate so no power switch, lol, grabbed one and plugged it into the board header.

The adventure that this box was, and the status of it initially....lets say i had less than hope for it. but i followed through with the gig out of principal (and probably some OCD issues). I hooked this up and it fired up, with video, on the first button press. WOW. lets say i didn't see that coming. :rofl: it's still working great and runs saucy salamander.

6. Its a Dell Dimension that stopped firing up (it's the PSU) and i'ts just not worth messing with currently, but i'll fix her up if needed :)

7. The nightmare netbook from hell. Crystalview 7" tablet thing. Reset doesn't function, There are no physical vol. knobs...so stock android reset is obsolete... i tried sdcard kadien (sp?) linux, i've tried debugging with adb and fastboot... i'm just about to pull this thing apart and short out some pins, grrrr.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
pcallstar said:
5. The box known as "WhoreBitch". Its a presario 6000 (2.8gig p4/533mhz fsb/2gb ram) maxed out. Also not running atm.

(This box is still around because of its cool history. A dude we used to get alot of parts from (Mark) had literally smashed this tower in the back, denting it in 3-4 inches into the case. The box had sat in this basement taking water damage for awhile, and had dried up with this crusty calcium/lime film across the entire board and case. When i carried this (and a bunch of server towers) to the truck...i smelled urine...no s***. so we got out of there. I spent about 2 days on the case and hardware: cleaning it carefully. Franklin (a tech that works for me) pulled the dent out of the case and I got it all cleaned up. I put the board back in it. At this time it had no facepate or sidecover for the tower.

I throw in some shitty 40gb. a gig of ram, and a cdrw/dvd combo -at this point we had named it whorebitch and we were so treating it like one. (we pulled you outta the gutter, hoe, and got you on your feet, you think you are worthy of a dvd-rw, no way, lol).

So this box never had a PSU from the start. I go grab one from the stock and, go figure, this is some wierd mount for the sucker, screw holes don't line up at all. i get 2 of them to line up, and then jimmy jacked a machine screw sideways through the fan grate cutout, and she was solid. plugged it into the board. It actually had an AGP 8x slot so i gave it a 128mb geforce 5200, why not, the AGP card stack is getting tall, lol. I go through the cpu's and found the max p4 for this box, it was even exactly a 533mhz fsb to match. So yet another hurdle, the damn heatsink/cooling fan, I don't have another of on hand, and the fan was toast. I went to the scrapbox and got out a dead raedon9000 i know i just threw away and stole its cooling fan, then used 2 inch drywall screws to literally screw it to the top of the heatsink, between fins. it was solid. No faceplate so no power switch, lol, grabbed one and plugged it into the board header.

The adventure that this box was, and the status of it initially....lets say i had less than hope for it. but i followed through with the gig out of principal (and probably some OCD issues). I hooked this up and it fired up, with video, on the first button press. WOW. lets say i didn't see that coming. :rofl: it's still working great and runs saucy salamander.
AWESOME story! Guess that has to be your favourite piece of hardware! Hilarious that the screw holes didn't line up. Cooling fan amazing .... the WarBitch was meant to be. :drinks:

BetterHome

In my house there are only notebook's

One is an HP with i7 processor and 8gb RAM and the another is a Lenovo with a Celeron processor and 4gb RAM.

passgad

I have 1 desktop, one laptop (work) and we might want to count ipad ?

But what is impressive is if you count the number of screens ! 3 for the desktop and another attached to the laptop !

My wife also have her desktop for work.

Vinayd97

Still have only one Desktop. :D
4GB ram , 550 GB Sata HDD , 3.2 Gz Processor , 1 GB Nvdia GC..
And I'm very Satisfied & happy with it. ;)

Gregoric

At the moment I have one desktop PC, a pretty old one, used by my brother and a laptop used by myself. When I was choosing what laptop to buy, I wanted it to be cheap and I did not care about its support for games. So I chose Acer Aspire 5749Z for which i paid 1200 PLN that is around $400. The reason for which I mention price is that it has pretty good hardware inside, 2,2GHz Penrium Dual Core processor, 6GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM and 500GB harddrive. It has no dedicated graphics card, tho. However, it does what I want it to do perfectly ;)

The PC is more capable of playing games but since I haven't used it too often for last year, since I got the laptop, I do not really remember its specifications. Well, it can run Crysis: Warhead and Portal 2 (I love this game!) smoothly ;)

Well, that makes two machines here!

We have a metal box filled with weird bits of plastic that I kick every morning, it has some stupid bits of plastic stuff that seem to be glued into another stupid bit of plastic that I also kick every morning, SWMBO says it's a PC but don't look like a Copper to me but I do like kicking it though. :crazy:

Pauline

We have two laptops - one that is mine and that I use for the Uni and one for home. The one at home is in bad need of an upgrade.

Zak_d

Banned
I got one pc,and one laptop tablets Microsoft Surface 2 running on Windows 8.1, and 27" Apple iMac that is on OS X 10.

Maximus

I only have one laptop - an Apple Macbook Pro. But my iPhone could easily count as a computer too. Doing lots of what I used to do on my computers. I haven't used a desktop in ages.

QQxBicBoi

I've got:

Alienware_M14x_Laptop_99630.jpg

9000000012789013.jpg

medion-akoya-p34592-md8383-aldi-sued.jpg

^ 2X

Those are all for myself. The desktops are for hosting, the HP laptop for uploading YouTube video's, and the Alienware Laptop for Gaming.

Goku

@QQxBicBoi . I find it totally cool that you've got different hardware for different functions. I'm getting there as well. For now I have two laptops, one for work and one for personal, as I travel most of the time. But am going to try and separate out my hosting and Web stuff in a desktop one of these days. Plus another for playing games. I'd imagine you have more than one screen as well?