How to catch and quarantine malware on one's computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
So for the last ten days noticed that my browser - Mozilla Firefox - was not doing as well as it usually does. I was even thinking about replacing it with Google Chrome (horrors :shock:) Initially I thought it was my internet speed, but after my little holiday in Oman and great internet and computer experience, when I returned today the problems were more noticeable than before. The browser windows would freeze now and then, or download with difficulty. And it started to worry me.

I remember I had downloaded two anti-spyware software packages two years ago and had had really good results with one of them. The other had created problems for me eventually to the extent I had to remove it. But for the life of me tonight couldn't remember which one had been the good one. Any way, now I do.

I first installed Superantispyware. It did the scan quite fast and efficient, and came up completely clean. No malware found. That made me happy.

Then ran Malwarebytes and immediately recognized its bare bones panel. It was my favourite one. AND it then found the following bad guys on my computer.

dec2014.png

This is what these critters do:

Once PUP.Optional.InstallCore is run on the computer, it targets mostly known browsers like Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Safari. This threat performs changes on browser settings that may result to home page hijacking and browser redirect problems. PUP.Optional.InstallCore also drops extension, add-on, and plug-in to achieve other malicious tasks.

To start instantly when browser is opened, PUP.Optional.InstallCore installs itself as browser helper object. This also gives the malware to have control on the browser and install its own search engine and toolbar object.

Symptoms
Presence of PUP.Optional.InstallCore affects your installed browser program. Here are some obvious signs that the malware has invaded the computer.

Modified start page, home page or search engine
Constant redirect to unwanted web sites
Excessive display of pop-up advertisements
Browser and new tabs opens on its own

Presence of the following files indicates that computer is infected with PUP.Optional.InstallCore:

*C:\Users\Owner\Downloads\UltimateCodec.exe*
Source: http://malwarefixes.com/threats/pup-optional-installcore/

Once fixed, I removed the superantispywarepro installation. It probably is very good, comes with excellent reviews, but there was something in it that had previously conflicted with some of my software. So just not the one for me. Malwarebytes is non-intrusive, completely bare bones, minimal, and helped quarantine the bad guys instantly. Recommendation is that one shouldn't delete the quarantined folders, but I took a chance and had them removed. Then rebooted, and all was well. Problem solved. Almost 100% improvement in speed and smooth functioning of Mozilla Firefox. :drinks:

Here's a link to Malwarebytes:

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Adam. This is quite an old thread and needs to be closed as it hasn't been an issue in a long time.

Thanks you for the advice. I do have a really good anti-virus Kaspersky, together with premium malwarebytes so the thread is no longer relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.