How to color calibrate my laptop screen? Help, please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowflake

Hi!

Am I posting in the right section?
I bought a new laptop a couple months ago, an HP and only recently found out my screen colors are a bit different from most PCs out there. One of my clients said she didn't like the red on a design I made for her, when I was seeing it with a light pink.... that's when I found out and being a designer this really isn't good... I tried a bunch of things, but nothing works. Is there any kind of software to fix this?

I found this, related to my graphics card, and it seems there's nothing I can do.
I also have an nvidia. I don't understand a thing about this stuff, can I disable the intel graphics card and use nvidia instead?

First off, I love HP, its the only laptop that I will buy. I have never had to calibrate the color on any of them yet. Now with that said, what O/S are you using. I know that the colors are off when you do an install of windows 7 it will use the default drivers for your monitor and graphics card. Majority of them use an Nvidia chip and the new ones are use that other one now.(sorry, can't remember the name of the other one as I am not on that laptop right now.) Just go to your device manager and check what driver you have. You may need to update it to fix your issues. Just hit me up if you are having issues still.

Genesis

Administrator
@"tangledmemories"

I wouldn't fiddle with anything if I were you. Laptop is only two months old. So I'd take it back to the shop where you purchased it from and ask them to fix it as it should be. There's a good chance that there may be other laptops of the same range that have been sold in the same batch that have similar issues. And the shop will know how to deal with it.

Snowflake

I don't think this is an issue with the laptop. Some PC screens have different color calibrations and sadly mine is one of them. If I knew this before buying it... I can't change something that's not broken - I tried. I really LOVE this laptop, except for the noise - this makes a lot but reading about it on forums it is normal, apparently and the colors being all lighter than normal. But I am thinking of selling it if I can't fix this issue. :(

Graphic cards of my laptop:
Intel HD 4600
NVIDIA GeForce GT 840M

Genesis

Administrator
Not necessarily. If you Google this issue you'll notice there are others with similar problems. It shouldn't happen with GeForce. That's one of the greatest graphic cards in my eyes. It should be OK right from the start. Is it very difficult to get to the shop?

In the meanwhile, would it be possible for you to try a different monitor on your laptop, like your desktop monitor and see how it works? If the desktop monitor is OK, then it is something wrong with the laptop. If the desktop monitor is the same colour as the laptop with the problem colours, then it could be the settings.

Snowflake

The Geforce one as far as I understand is only here for 3D and games. This one Intel HD 4600 is the one that is used for the screen, and there's this: https://communities.intel.com/message/250377 & https://communities.intel.com/message/247674

I wanted to know if there's a way to switch the intel one for the geforce because on my previous laptop I had it and it was awesome!! Never had this problem.

If I try checking on my TV connecting with the hdmi cable should I be able to see any difference? I don't have any other monitors.

I went to the store I bought my laptop and they told me there was nothing wrong with my laptop... They might have been wrong though. It's not necessary a computers store. More of one of those with electrodomestics etc.

What make is your laptop. I am running a hp pavilion dv9000 and it has the gforce 840m in it and have the current driver for it running windows 7. I also have a dv6000 with the same chip. Now my pavilion G6 has a different chip, its from AMD and all 3 of them have the same color as my desktop that has an intel hd graphics on it.
Try this it should help you. http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...-HD-graphics-and-use-nvidia-card/td-p/4986300

If I am not mistaken, if you have the intel hd, then that means there was no driver installed for your graphics card.

Snowflake

What does it mean? I really don't understand much of the hardware part.
Here are the specs of my laptop:

Microprocessor: Intel Core i5-4200M with Intel HD Graphics 4600
Chipset: Intel HM87 Express
Video Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 840M (2 GB DDR3 dedicated)
Display: HD BrightView LED-backlit --- does this have anything to do with anything?

Thanks.

Snowflake

I have all the drivers installed! A few weeks ago I even updated them. This has nothing to do with nvidia, as I said before the display driver isn't the nvidia one, it's Intel. Nvidia control panel only has options game related and 3d.

There's nothing that can be done, I guess...

Snowflake

Aquos said:
yeah, QuickGamma is good solution...

I don't know how it works :/ I watched some youtube tutorials on it and my computer seems to be calibrated. I just need to make the colors a bit darker since they are lighter in other screens - for example one of my friends sees the colors on his PC just like I do. But as a designer, it gets tricky.

tangledmemories said:
I have all the drivers installed! A few weeks ago I even updated them. This has nothing to do with nvidia, as I said before the display driver isn't the nvidia one, it's Intel. Nvidia control panel only has options game related and 3d.

I posted the link that solves your problem. Its a known issue and its a simple fix.

Genesis

Administrator
strokerace said:
What make is your laptop. I am running a hp pavilion dv9000 and it has the gforce 840m in it and have the current driver for it running windows 7. I also have a dv6000 with the same chip. Now my pavilion G6 has a different chip, its from AMD and all 3 of them have the same color as my desktop that has an intel hd graphics on it.
Try this it should help you. http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...-HD-graphics-and-use-nvidia-card/td-p/4986300

If I am not mistaken, if you have the intel hd, then that means there was no driver installed for your graphics card.

Hi Strokerace. Is this the link you are referring to? The forum discussion that it ends in doesn't provide a solution. Could you narrow it down to a specific solution? Probably the reason that it wasn't attended to.

Genesis said:
strokerace said:

Hi Strokerace. Is this the link you are referring to? The forum discussion that it ends in doesn't provide a solution. Could you narrow it down to a specific solution? Probably the reason that it wasn't attended to.

It gives a link to solve the issue by the HP tech. OP has the exact problem, HP tech gives him the links to solve the issue. But without knowing the model number, its uncertain if its for his model.

Snowflake

strokerace said:
tangledmemories said:

I posted the link that solves your problem. Its a known issue and its a simple fix.

I completely missed the link you posted. Seems to be what I want to do. Maybe I should post on the hp forums just to make sure I can do what they mention in those forum topics - I didn't know hp had a support forums!

Thank you so much for the help! Hope this works.

Snowflake

Just an update on this:

I did absolutely nothing and all my colors are now looking as they should!! I don't know what happened but I am very grateful something happened. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.