how to download entire wordpress site from one server and upload to new?

mowattc

Hi there, I am looking to move two different websites-- both at the same host, and both use the wordpress plugin on the host's site (similar to gigarank's cpanel apps). I'd like to move them over to the gigarank hosting instead (paid hosting), however i don't (see CAN NOT lol) lose any data.

Can anyone tell me how to download everything from one site, and then upload it to my new hosting account here?

Thanks!

yusha

Just download the directory through the FTP from your paid hosting server and then upload them to your GigaRank hosting then export the mysql database through phpmyadmin in cPanel from your paidhosting and create the same database from GigaRank's hosting using MySQL wizard and then goto phpmyadmin of that database and import them. And after that change your dns. Your website will be imported to the GigaRank's server and none of your visitors will know that server has been changed. If facing any problem you can search that in google or see youtube video tutorial or post in stackoverflow

mowattc

biobeo said:
Just download the directory through the FTP from your paid hosting server and then upload them to your GigaRank hosting then export the mysql database through phpmyadmin in cPanel from your paidhosting and create the same database from GigaRank's hosting using MySQL wizard and then goto phpmyadmin of that database and import them. And after that change your dns. Your website will be imported to the GigaRank's server and none of your visitors will know that server has been changed. If facing any problem you can search that in google or see youtube video tutorial or post in stackoverflow

I created a full backup and downloaded it (it came as a .gz file). i then uploaded it to my gigarank hosting account and unpacked it. i see all the files there now, and i changes my dns settings on my domain provider. I did a whois check to see that it showed gigaranks servers and it does. I checked my website and its up and running--- however, it appears to be on the old host somehow because when I move the index.php from the old host folder to another folder (so i know it will not be able to find the index when i load the website in my browser), it goes to the root directory.. suggesting that my url is not directing me to the gigarank server (cause why would changes i do on the old server matter and be visible if it was?).

Help! lol

yusha

If your whois result is showing the DNS of GigaRank's server that means your browser showing the site from your cache or your ISP's cache. You can open cmd in windows and type ipconfig /flushdns It will clear the dns cache. And you should wait for at least 2 hours to check everything is working or not.

Also please don't forget to import your mysql database from your old server. and give the database the same name as it was on your old server.

To recheck your whois I prefer to use http://who.is/whois/yourdomain.com

Or you may also use my own domain server
http://biobeo.net/domain-registration/domain-whois-lookup.php

Genesis

Administrator
mowattc said:
Hi there, I am looking to move two different websites-- both at the same host, and both use the wordpress plugin on the host's site (similar to gigarank's cpanel apps). I'd like to move them over to the gigarank hosting instead (paid hosting), however i don't (see CAN NOT lol) lose any data.

Can anyone tell me how to download everything from one site, and then upload it to my new hosting account here?

Thanks!
Did you make a support ticket with your paid hosting account? Un4saken could have helped you with this. Not immediately as he is busy at times, but if you are worried about integrity of data, it would have been worth the wait.

Your second option would have been the Hosting Support Forum here for a gentle nudge that your support ticket has been unattended. Or you could have PM'd me.

I've done what you are doing a few times, and found this tutorial really good for showing how to move a WordPress site from one host to another. If you are concerned you've missed steps why not run through it to check the steps. If you want to fast forward to the portion about how to fix your databases up in cPanel for connecting everything up - it starts on the 8 minute mark:

[video=youtube]

xdude

I usuly use FTP to download the whole site rather than using a backup. It might take bit more time but for some reason I feel better that way. Not something hard at all/

01) Open FTP client and download the whole domain folder.
02) Goto cPanel > phpMyAdmin > Export Database.
03) Addon domain at new cPanel
04) Create a Data base and write down user info
05) Import Database backup
06) Take a copy of config.php from file backup and edit database info
07) Upload all files to new hosting account.

Now you might see the old site for few days if your ISP provider is too lazy wipe DNS cashe frequently or it's stuck in your computer. Even after ipconfig /flushdns it might take couple of days in some cases.

Genesis

Administrator
Both are very good ways of doing it xdude and ogah. There are many ways.

However, if it is a life and death situation when data integrity is very important, and one is not completely seasoned yet with Wordpress transfers, particularly if one has a brand-new paid hosting account on top of it all,it is best to put a ticket in, load the .tar.gz backup files into a root folder somewhere and ask help from an Admin. I'd have set up the two add on domains and ask for the content of the two WordPress sites to be added to each.

Anyway, looks as though mowattc has figured out how to do it and is being helped by un4saken. If you don't mind, I'll close this thread for now. If you want it reopened for further discussion please PM me and I will reopen it.

Genesis

Administrator
@"mowattc"

If you check that Video I posted from the 8 minute mark it gives instructions how to work with the database. The part that is important for you is the wp-config.php file. The video shows you how to edit it. There has to be an EXACT match of the database and password with the wp-config.php file. If not, you'll get messages like that.

I'd suggest you go to the wp-config.php and edit it with the database info.

Alternatively start from scratch. Delete everything. Then start a brand new Word Press installation. And try and get your database names to be the exact same ones as they had been with your previous version at your old host. You still need to check your wp-config.php afterward for correct information.

mowattc

I DID do everything on there, including the config. The I tried putting "localhost" on the sql host part... and i also put the gigarank ip address since i read that that sometimes fixes it.. no change.

Genesis

Administrator
My only suggestion then, which is also my original suggestion is for you to put a ticket in on your paid account. Upload your .tar backup file to the root folder of your domain and then ask for help to move your Wordpress sites to the sub-domains you want them loaded to. Suggest you clean the add on domains first so they can be loaded fresh. I'd delete the add on domains PLUS their matching sub-folders in the .html folders first and then redo the add on domains from scratch.