If you had to rely completely on mid 90s hardware and software for a day...

Inception

Okay, I have a question for you all, if you guys had to rely completely on mid 90s technology for exactly 24 hours, which technology would you use? For your basic everyday tasks, and how would you carry them out?

Inception

I personally would use an old IBM with HaikuOS on it, or whatever it was called before it's was brought back from it's grave. I think it used to be called BeOS or something like that, great power on that, and I believe it was based on UNIX. It had support for internet if the hardware did, everything you needed really, I believe it even included a word processor. That's just my personal opinion, let's see your's!

mameroms

ha, the year is 1995, My pc would have :
8mb memory
1gb hard drive
processor 33 MHz (Intel 80386)
Graphics card 24-bit accelerated
14" crt monitor
Sound blaster 16
28.8 bps modem
and a 2x cd rom player
Running Windows 95 :)

smalpierre

mameroms said:
8mb memory
1gb hard drive
14" crt monitor
Sound blaster 16
28.8 bps modem
and a 2x cd rom player

in 95 you could have the original Pentium (i586), with probably 16 megs of ram. I think I'd have stuck with Windows 3.1 at the time though, 95 had issues. Also I'd have opted for the 56k modem. The 1gb hard drive was top notch back then! Might have to think about a hardware SCSI RAID controller to stripe 2 512mb drives to get that ...

Soundblaster for sure, and I'm not sure, but I don't think you could really get anything BUT a CRT back then short of an overhead projector.

At that time, my machine was pretty good and serviceable - a 486dx2 66mHz with math coprocessor, 4mb ram, a 512mb hard drive, 16 bit video, a 56k modem and a single speed cdrom. It ran Doom and Descent halfway ok, and I had a dialup shell account on a UNIX box, so I was a-ok :)

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
smalpierre said:
At that time, my machine was pretty good and serviceable - a 486dx2 66mHz with math coprocessor, 4mb ram, a 512mb hard drive, 16 bit video, a 56k modem and a single speed cdrom. It ran Doom and Descent halfway ok, and I had a dialup shell account on a UNIX box, so I was a-ok :)
in 1995 that must have been a SUPER COMPUTER. Wonder what a Super Computer is going to be like in 2035 - twenty years from now?

smalpierre

Genesis said:
smalpierre said:
in 1995 that must have been a SUPER COMPUTER. Wonder what a Super Computer is going to be like in 2035 - twenty years from now?

It was pretty bad to the bone when I got it, I think it was about 2500 - 3000 bucks ...

I think you could probably get a Cray Cx-1 for around 20 grand used :cool:

HDMNI

Back in 95 I remember having a 486dx4 100mHz and just upgraded to Windows 95. Also upgraded to a 2GB hard drive and added a cd-rom. I remember I bought a game, "Gabriel Knight - The beast within", and it came with 6 cd's. I was so excited and figured I could load all of the cd's and still have tons of space - thought I could never fill it up.... Then after copying the 3rd disc got a hard drive full warning - so devastated hahaha

TidyNeat

If I had to rely on mid 90's hardware and software I would revisit some of the fun I had when I first got into computers. Command and Conquer, Warcraft 2, and Ultima Online. I wish I could return to those fun loving days, skipping classes and playing video games all day, guys in my dorm even had a coax cable peer to peer network setup so that we could play these games in multiplayer. The internet was more than the web then, I had archie, gopher, irc, ftp, telnet, usnet, and other portals..

GigaBot

Administrator
Now you revoked my memories ...I remember when Windows 95 was released ...wau ...I'm old :shock:

rockforlife

In 1995 I was using an old Packard Bell 486 with I think a 310mb hard drive. It ran windows 3.11 and the Pentiums came out like a month after I bought it...

ssamjh

Probably a tower that had decent-ish specs for the age. We still have dialup internet so I can handle that if I need to. We have dialup and ADSL2+.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
ssamjh said:
Probably a tower that had decent-ish specs for the age. We still have dialup internet so I can handle that if I need to. We have dialup and ADSL2+.
WOW! Didn't know dialup was still being used. What speed do you get with dialup?

ssamjh

Genesis said:
ssamjh said:
WOW! Didn't know dialup was still being used. What speed do you get with dialup?
Our old house only has dialup for a while
Now it's free. I get about 50Kb/s which is alright I suppose.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
ssamjh said:
Now it's free. I get about 50Kb/s which is alright I suppose.
:shock: I've got 10MB/s and think it is not that particularly fast. How on earth do you manage to get a page up with 50Kb/s?

fouadChk

mameroms said:
8mb memory
1gb hard drive
14" crt monitor
Sound blaster 16
28.8 bps modem
and a 2x cd rom player
That's really a low end processor even by 1995 standards!.. I would have opted for a 100MHz Intel 80486 instead.