Interesting facts about Internet

GigaBot

Administrator
It's fun to explore History facts generally, at least to me, but it's even more fun to explore Internet history facts (we are all there, after all).
I found a few that I didn't know, yo can post your "discoveries" too ...

- The first email spam was sent on May 3, 1978 to 393 People. It was send by a Computer dealer ?! :lightbulb:

- This one is pretty Interesting to me:
Most People treat the Internet and the Web as synonymous. While those two are being related, they are not. Internet refers to the
"vast networking infrastructure that connects millions of computers across the world"
and the World Wide Web is
" the worldwide collection of text pages, digital photographs, music files, videos, and animations, which users can access over the Internet".

The Web uses the HTTP protocol to transmit data and is only a part of the Internet. The Internet includes a lot that is not necessarily the Web...

Sorry guys if you already new this, but I'm sure there is a lot of us who didn't.

Jasmine333

Yes, the internet is amazing and has only been around since about the early 1970s. Like autos, did you know we've only been using them for about 150 years? Yeah, the internet has come a long ways. Computers were only available to select parts of society such as large corporations until the early 70s when the general public began to have access to them.

When I first got on the internet several years ago, I did not realize all the billions of bits of info on the disc. I just randomly picked a subject about dog diapers, not thinking there would be much about that. Well, there were pages and pages of ads for dog diapers! I knew then never try to out-guess the internet.

The internet is constantly changing so that every few years you've got to change computers to keep up with it. I used to hear that in a few years the internet would be gone, but we've long passed the time they predicted it would be gone. I believe it's here for some time to come.

Actually, the internet was around before the 70's. It was actually a military that built it to connect their computers and transmit data across it. It was the 70's that phreakers started using it and they discovered it by accident, if I am not mistake. That is why it was kinda referred to as the underground. You needed to know how to use tones to access it. They started forums and sharing information over it. Look up Capt'n Crunch and Alt 260(I think it was 260. It was the number of a tone) it will give you a better idea.

GigaBot

Administrator
Guy Fawkes mask

mG-AIzI2uYTMaIQa5ClKOMQ.jpg

Many of you have seen and maybe used this mask as an avatar,but do you know anything about that mask and who's symbol it is?

It is Guy Fawkes mask and it is a general symbol of "glorious" Anonymous group.

The Guy Fawkes mask is a stylized depiction of Guy Fawkes, the best-known member of the Gunpowder Plot, an attempt to blow up the House of Lords in London in 1605 in order to restore a Catholic head of state.

You can read more about him HERE.

You can find out more about Anonymous (h)ac(k)tivists HERE.

GigaBot

Administrator
Deep and Dark Web

Did you know that only about 10% of internet content is shown in Google search results!?
The rest of about 90% are part of so called DEEP WEB

The most secret but very efficient part of Deep Web is so called DARK WEB or DARKNET.

It is a network that can only be accessed with specific software, configurations, or authorization, often using non-standard communications protocols and ports.

It is been used for various of purposes from privacy protecting till Internet crime ...

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
I knew that there had to be parts of the Internet that are "almost" impenetrable, but was unaware of the dark web. Interesting.

GigaBot

Administrator
Practically everything that can't be indexed on Google, Yahoo, Bing ...are part of Deep Web, pages that have been indexed by search engines are part of so called "Surface Web".

A part of the Deep Web can be something trivial, like content on the Social Networks that you make private, like some comments and photos that only People that you choose can see ...Academic posts that ask for paid subscription ....it means that great part of Deep Web are legal, but are not suppose to be seen by everyone publicly.

On the other hand Dark Web is just a small part of Deep Web that promotes illegal activities ...some of these activities are real horrible crime activities..like offer to hire mercenaries of all kinds till drugs selling ...

Sites that are part of Dark Web are mostly hidden behind .ONION Domain that can be found using Tor Browser. .ONION Domain are not existing because of illegal activities, such activities are just the consequence of a possibility to use this Domain in such purposes. Many other using .ONION and Tor Browser for legal and quite useful purposes...

There is no Search Engine yet that can index and search .ONION domains, these Domains are been shared among People ...

asexual synergy

I knew about Tor browser but I am afraid to use it after watching Citizenfour. I really have no purpose for it anyway so I have no business snooping around in it.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
asexual synergy said:
I knew about Tor browser but I am afraid to use it after watching Citizenfour. I really have no purpose for it anyway so I have no business snooping around in it.
What happened with Citizenfour :shock:

I better go and check, although I don't use Tor any longer. I have a paid VPN from the UK that has worked out OK for me over the last three years of using it. Particularly when I'm travelling. I hope that it is providing some extra security when I'm sharing WiFi's in Hotels. Although I'm not sure that it does so completely. But at least it's a layer of something. I got it in 2012 when I had IP issues with cPanel, but about a year after looks as though my ISP has sorted things out as I no longer have an issue. :p

asexual synergy

It's not so much about what happened to him , it's more about how we are being watched, who's watching us, what information they have on us, how they get it and how they use it. I'm not paranoid I just don't need to be on Thor and be accused of anything illegal. :)

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Well then you'd better throw away your smart phone first, if you have one. Anyone with a bluetooth device can be tracked, traced, listened into and watched. :pardon:

asexual synergy

Genesis said:
Well then you'd better throw away your smart phone first, if you have one. Anyone with a bluetooth device can be tracked, traced, listened into and watched. :pardon:

I don't have one. :p I started going off the grid a few years ago and have been living the minimalist lifestyle for about 4 years. Even my FB page is pretty scarce with very few new posts.

GigaBot

Administrator
Well every invented thing in History meant to be useful to Mankind. But of course there is always some People who will try to abuse it for selfish purposes no matter the price. But it certainly doesn't mean that such invention is bad. If we would follow such logic, then scientist who discovered nuclear energy should be considered as the biggest Criminals ever, because it could also be used to destroy the mankind...

fouadChk

misharnet said:
(............) If we would follow such logic, then scientist who discovered nuclear energy should be considered as the biggest Criminals ever, because it could also be used to destroy the mankind...

One should make a distinction between fundamental Science and its technological fall outs. Nuclear Physics started with the discovery of the radioactivity and opened up a lot of avenues in understanding atomic nuclei's constituents and interactions and by that it has led to a lot of applications in medicine (MRI for example) and in radio-dating used in Geology and Archaeology etc..

The problem is that scientists are the first to be aware when some really dangerous use cases can stem from their labs and in most cases they are the first to warn against it.... Alas, the corrupt nature of the human being, especially among a morally bankrupt political class (which, it seems, is the norm worldwide nowadays) and their generals can't avoid the Worst.... the stock-pilling of Nuclear arms...

What precedes was necessary for me to say that the biggest Criminals in this story are in no way the generations of Physicists that have paved the way for a solid understanding of atoms nuclei BUT the ones who collaborated in secrecy to build the first atomic bomb and start an arm's race that has never ended ever since...................