ipv6 available provider

T.Kawabata

New member
As I started using VP which only ipv6, now I just found my provider does not provide global ipv6 address yet.
Then I just wonder:

1. Does your provider already start providing global ipv6 address?
2. Do you make your website available ipv6?

In my case, In japan, it is getting increasing but not yet so many providers are available. Even if it is, sometimes we need to buy another router.
I Myself haven't cared about ipv6 for my web page so far.
 

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
I did quite a number of searches on IPv6 connectivity and looks as though there are millions of people out there who are looking at the same problem. Particularly since only 3% of Web traffic uses IPv6.

If your ISP doesn't support IPv6 solution seems to be to create an IPv6 to IPv4 tunnel. So if you search for a solution in Japan for example, search for how to create an IPv6 to IPv4 tunnel.

Here is a good explanation of how it works:

[video=youtube]
 

_Hoh_

New member
IPV6 it's very important for us, because people that use technology won't have to pay for public IP, we would have enough for every single device we have or use and more.

Your left shoe will have a different IP than the right shoe.

I hope that future can come soon.
 

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
_Hoh_ said:
IPV6 it's very important for us, because people that use technology won't have to pay for public IP, we would have enough for every single device we have or use and more.

Your left shoe will have a different IP than the right shoe.

I hope that future can come soon.
That's not what the topic is about. It's about IPv6 connectivity when one's ISP doesn't have IPv6 capability. Only 3% of Web traffic is using IPv6 so not all ISPs are geared for IPv6. So geeks are configuring their routers to tunnel their way through an IPv4 ISP.
 

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
:facepalm: Ogah got the closest in an answer that is needed but not completely what Kawabata asked about. T.Kawabata doesn't need to be educated what IPv6 is. He knows what it is. He wants to know what happens when the majority of ISPs in Japan don't support IPv6. The YouTube show I posted provide some solution, but at the same time looks very complicated. If one Googles the practice of disguising the IPv6 behind an IPv4 mask in order to tunnel past your IPS can have many pitfalls. Particularly if Japan doesn't have that many IPS who support IPv6. According to T.Kawabata the majority of Japan ISPs only support IPv4.
 
Yes, but I think he missed some parts about IPv6. Your site has nothing to do with IPv6. Its up to your host to provide IPv6. Or should I say, the IP. I also said, facebook is the only one that use IPv6 and yet, we all get there with IPv4. It also has something to due with their Curl features. Not sure. IPv6 is redundant and may never be implemented as its been around for 15 years and they still haven't switched over. You said 3% of the providers use it. That in itself should tell you that there is no real concern for it. All it was about is expanding the IP range and number in HEX decimal
 

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Well if only 3% of Internet traffic uses IPv6 then it is to be expected there will be huge hurdles. I've just tested whether my ISP is fully compliant and it scores 7/10 as it is using a 6to4 tunnel instead of a native IPv6 address:

http://test-ipv6.com/

It flunked on DNS.

You appear to be using a public 6to4 gateway; your router may be providing this to you automatically. Such public gateways have no service level agreements; you may see performance problems using such. Better would be to get a native IPv6 address from your ISP.

Your DNS server (possibly run by your ISP) appears to have no access to the IPv6 Internet, or is not configured to use it. This may in the future restrict your ability to reach IPv6-only sites.
 

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Just Googled my ISP for a native IPv6 and the link is dead. There doesn't seem to be a demand for it in the UAE or it could be at the business level only. Haven't been able to find any meaningful search results.
 
Genesis said:
Just Googled my ISP for a native IPv6 and the link is dead. There doesn't seem to be a demand for it in the UAE or it could be at the business level only. Haven't been able to find any meaningful search results.

There is no demand. They created IPv6 because they thought they were running of IP's on IPv4. That is why I included the wiki on Ipv6. Its been around since 1998. So, in 17years, only 3% out of 10 billion people are using it.

As I also said, in my facebook app, we have to use some special code from facebook to make certain calls for functions. There was something said about IPv6 in there and that you could force IPv6 to be called on IPv4. It was just a change of a few words in the Curl command to force it to use IPv4. But I think that is for some third world countries that are still 30 years behind other countries.

Also, I think that your routers will have some code in it to tunnel IPv4 to IPv6 sites so most users will not notice it. It is funny though, they said back then we were running out of IP addresses, yet I have never come across anything higher the 300's. Not saying they don't exist, you figured by now with all the devices, you would have seen an 999.999.999 or just under it.

This is a Canadian Internet provider. One of the top 3 infact. Nothing for IPv6.

Your IPv4 address on the public Internet appears to be 74.15.171.59

Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) appears to be BACOM - Bell Canada,CA

No IPv6 address detected [more info]

Good news! Your current configuration will continue to work as web sites enable IPv6.

You appear to be able to browse the IPv4 Internet only. You will not be able to reach IPv6-only sites.

Your DNS server (possibly run by your ISP) appears to have no access to the IPv6 Internet, or is not configured to use it. This may in the future restrict your ability to reach IPv6-only sites. [more info]
 

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
strokerace said:
Also, I think that your routers will have some code in it to tunnel IPv4 to IPv6 sites so most users will not notice it.
That is true. Picked up on that.

strokerace said:
It is funny though, they said back then we were running out of IP addresses, yet I have never come across anything higher the 300's. Not saying they don't exist, you figured by now with all the devices, you would have seen an 999.999.999 or just under it.
You're right again. Think the IPv6 guys are so anxious to get every one on the band wagon, including making native IPv6 freely available, they're dramatizing some of the facts.

strokerace said:
This is a Canadian Internet provider. One of the top 3 infact. Nothing for IPv6.

Your IPv4 address on the public Internet appears to be 74.15.171.59

Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) appears to be BACOM - Bell Canada,CA

No IPv6 address detected [more info]

Good news! Your current configuration will continue to work as web sites enable IPv6.

You appear to be able to browse the IPv4 Internet only. You will not be able to reach IPv6-only sites.

Your DNS server (possibly run by your ISP) appears to have no access to the IPv6 Internet, or is not configured to use it. This may in the future restrict your ability to reach IPv6-only sites. [more info]
My result is about the same. Making my ISP "IPv6 able" but with a huge whammy for DNS. I learned the difference between "native IPv6", "IPv6 able" and "IPv4 only". Which is the above. Most ISPs are "IPv6 able" but their systems have not been upgraded yet to support IPv6. They're using tunnel technology.
 

T.Kawabata

New member
Everyone, thank you for your posts.
>>Well if only 3% of Internet traffic uses IPv6..
Huum, interesting..
So if you are a website manager, do you think you need to prepare both ipv4 and ipv6 when you create a new website?
 

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
T.Kawabata said:
So if you are a website manager, do you think you need to prepare both ipv4 and ipv6 when you create a new website?
Prepare how? Not sure what you mean. Ipv4 requires no preparation. Ipv6 could be a challenge with DNS. As looks as though most ISP's do prepare for Ipv6, however not fully, without upgrading their infrastructure for Ipv6 to make their service "IPv6 able" versus "Native IPv6".
 

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
OK found something interesting that could be applicable to you T.Kawabata. It's dated 2013 but could still be valid today. One can get a free account at Cloudflare and set up a free IPv6 to IPv4 proxy with them. Why not just try it for fun and let us know how it went. Here's a step by step guide how to set it up.

http://forum.lowendspirit.com/viewtopic.php?id=441
 

T.Kawabata

New member
Genesis said:
OK found something interesting that could be applicable to you T.Kawabata. It's dated 2013 but could still be valid today. One can get a free account at Cloudflare and set up a free IPv6 to IPv4 proxy with them. Why not just try it for fun and let us know how it went. Here's a step by step guide how to set it up.

http://forum.lowendspirit.com/viewtopic.php?id=441

That is interesting. Thank you for your information. I'll try it.