Is cloud storage safe?

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
I'm a bit apprehensive about cloud storage. Is it safe? Does anyone here (particularly Strokerace) know how safe Google cloud is?

I don't have lots to hide, but personal is personal, so what happens to one's files in the cloud, and how secure is secure really? Looks as though the people one stores one's files with use algorithms to search through one's files. I'd really hate for my personal files to be scrutinized in this way.

I just checked out YouTube and came across this YouTube show, and looks as though I'm not the only one questioning cloud, drop boxes and more.

[video=youtube]

GigaGreg

Staff member
It is secure as long as you don't share your password or login with anyone.

Its very sad, that nothing is secure now a days. People can hack into your account and steal your data.

I wouldn't upload anything too personal though.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Let's be honest, anything published or shared online could or has been intercepted! So the chances of it remaining secure is dependant on how much you do not want anyone to know. Do you really believe going incognito mode in web browser hides your personal online footprint?

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed Chris, hence why I won't put my really personal stuff in cloud. I did some research last night and although I see it great that I can save 40GB of folders and files with Google Drive for free, I'll use it for public folders only. For personal files that may contain passwords or personal details of myself, family, friends or business partners I'll keep it off line if possible and if possible off my computer. Think I saw a YouTube movie on security once where this woman bought a stand alone computer that is not connected to anything, particularly the Internet for storing her confidential files. We're just too much connected for anything to be secure.

perryoo11

cloudservice safe thats can change on your wanting.
its how you want it the safest way is is local cloud. if you want to do it online then you have to be aware off the provider.

the safe idea is totally your decision. it can be lack everywhere or its safe.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
That is a good point Perry. Only part I'd be worried about with local cloud or a device that is connected to the internet, including one's desktop, is that it can be hacked. So probably not a good idea to keep files on one's computer or in clouds that have restricted information in them. I'd still use the local cloud only for my files that are OK for the public to see. Which are most of my files anyway.

perryoo11

so far it isn't indexed to google is your local server safe!
if a hacker wants to go in they need to hack your router first and has to make an routing to it.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Fortunately I don't have a router. I've never gone for WiFi at home. I've got a dedicated line to my computer.

This is like the back up stuff I mentioned. Although I don't do it any more and it has risk. The best way to store anything that you want stored, is a back up drive that can be taken off line, or encrypted if left connected to the computer.
But you do run the risk of loosing the data if the drive fails. But then again, it can happen if the cloud is breached too. The only difference is, the stuff on the HD can be recovered if you have the experience to do it. Not to get into much tech stuff on that subject, as long as the platter isn't destroyed, it can be recovered.

jbjenterprises

I have used cloud storage for years, making good use of Dropbox and Google Drive; however, I am careful not to store any documents containing credit card, social security, bank account, or password information. The cloud is awesome for files that you need to be able to access from multiple devices, but I just don't trust the security of cloud services completely. Like others have mentioned here, accounts can be hacked. The more distance you place between your sensitive files and the Internet, the better.

I try to keep highly sensitive files on external drives that are not always connected to the PC. Someone might hack my PC and get to the data over the Internet. Other less sensitive files with high usage I will keep on my computer's local hard drive. If it is not all that sensitive and I would like to access the file between devices, I store it in the cloud.

I always turn off or never enable the auto upload feature for photos and videos. I like to maintain control over what goes in the cloud. I say "always", but I have occasionally found photos on one device on the cloud drive of another device.

kenjoe41

If you insist o storing your data in the cloud, i would advise you to encrypt it. Only way you will have a safe store. Encrypt iy before you transmit it to the cloud. I would advise PKI as it is the one encryption style i feel safe with.

wpchurchofchrist said:
I have used cloud storage for years, making good use of Dropbox and Google Drive; however, I am careful not to store any documents containing credit card, social security, bank account, or password information. The cloud is awesome for files that you need to be able to access from multiple devices, but I just don't trust the security of cloud services completely. Like others have mentioned here, accounts can be hacked. The more distance you place between your sensitive files and the Internet, the better.

I try to keep highly sensitive files on external drives that are not always connected to the PC. Someone might hack my PC and get to the data over the Internet. Other less sensitive files with high usage I will keep on my computer's local hard drive. If it is not all that sensitive and I would like to access the file between devices, I store it in the cloud.

I always turn off or never enable the auto upload feature for photos and videos. I like to maintain control over what goes in the cloud. I say "always", but I have occasionally found photos on one device on the cloud drive of another device.

Its irrelevant what you store on there. It can be gone in a blink of any eye. There are scripts and files out there that are encrypted and loaded on to your computer by hackers some times. It can be with java drive by. You won't even notice the keylogger installed. It can take any site you go to, and collect your user name, email and passwords. It can even get your banking and credit card information if you do online banking.

They use programs that make them FUD, (freaking undetectable) that will bypass any checks by any AV out their on the market. I have seen it, played with the stuff. Its bigger then most people think. That is why I never store anything online, never do online banking and never download or visit any site that is suspicious.

jaran

We should not forgeting Apple i-cloud "fappening" scandal on yesterday. I never trust for every secure services about net online.

Sent from my ASUS_T00F using Tapatalk

xxmessixx

It is actually secure just like people above me stated that you should not give your personal login information to anyone, but the problem with some cloud 'providers' is that you actually have to pay for that service, my question is if you dont pay for that service will your documents be unable to 'reach'? Im a little confused...

xxmessixx said:
It is actually secure just like people above me stated that you should not give your personal login information to anyone, but the problem with some cloud 'providers' is that you actually have to pay for that service, my question is if you dont pay for that service will your documents be unable to 'reach'? Im a little confused...

Its a ploy to get people to buy something. Paying or free doesn't make anything better or more secure. Just some people like to pay for stuff. Some people like free stuff. It's no more secure then the locks on your door. Remember, man made it, man can break it. You don't hear about it much, but there are tons of cloud servers hacked monthly.

So, if you use it, don't put anything valuable on it or anything personal.

admirko

google's Cloud storage is more secured then others, they monitor whole web :) so if it would be some security vulnerability they fix it fastly. But personally i don't know how it's even possible to stole your data, if they give special keys to ur files, so without them it's impossible to download them.

perryoo11

its what a provider offers does it have the latest version off the software that is being provided.
uses it an valid ssl connection. what for authentication will be used.

a point is too look if there data center is certified with an security layer.
also that they offer good informative support so everything could be setup in the configuration you want.

then it will it you what will you install for plugin!.
plugins can contains malicious code that logs you login or sends your photos to an other server.

so it is up to you and your host.

priest

Any computer which has an internet connection is accessible to a hacker if he is determined, and hence the cloud storages are not a better threat, as it can be accessed from anywhere, it is more convenient and more flexible and nowadays more cloud servers are being offered free of cost, but what should be kept in mind is that the free or paid services offered by certain can be misused by those offering the service itself. So choosing the right party is the most important factor.