Is it best to leave a PC ON or OFF when not in use?

CHT

Unless you're using a HDD, leaving it on or off really depends on your wants and/or needs. In my case, I normally turn it off cause of the hot weather here.
However, if you're on a HDD, actually turning off your system helps the HDD, as the HDD will be able to live longer due to less reads and/or writes. This is especially true with Seagate drives, which aren't able to sustain 24/7 operations.

In the end, it's really personal preference.

Newe

Turn ut off for a long time break, otherwise just hibernate it if you're gonna come back

R

rogu

All the components of the computer have a determined useful life, some longer as in the case of the processors and others shorter as it happens with the fans. If we leave the computer on at night, we will be shortening the life of our components.

Some components such as RAM have a lifetime guarantee so they should not worry us, but not all have the same and we must take maximum care of our computer so that it lasts as long as possible if we are not one of those people who can afford luxury of changing the computer annually.

binil

Just leave the system on. In my experience, the system will be better running full time. I have found that systems which are on all the time tends to have a better life than the systems which are turned on less. If its on 24x7 its better.

A

Azmalod

In my case I would advise you to turn it off every time you don't use it to avoid the battery drain even without using the PC.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Azmalod said:
In my case I would advise you to turn it off every time you don't use it to avoid the battery drain even without using the PC.

What battery are you talking about? In my experience desktops work with electricity. Only laptops run with batteries. In which case yes, leave laptop off when not used. Battery is a totally different topic however.