Is my IP address blocked?

jbjenterprises

When I attempt to access gigarocket.net or the website that I have hosted on gigarocket.net while at my home computer, I am not able to load the webpage. I am not even able to ping gigarocket.net or my hosted website. However, if I go to another location and access the Internet, I am able to access gigarocket.net and my hosted website. Is my home IP address blocked? If so, why would it be blocked?

jbjenterprises

Thanks Yozora. I was not blacklisted on blacklistalert.org. But I am definitely blocked on gigarocket.net.

I have sent a PM to Genesis to request removal from the banned list. I am not sure why I would be on it. I have not manipulated proxies or done anything out of the ordinary. I have posted messages on gigarank and really have not done much of anything with the site once it was uploaded. I did not use Filezilla to upload my page; I used the cpanel file manager.

Maybe it was when I had configured a script to receive emails on one of the domains. The script kept failing and looping. It seems that no matter what is in the script, the system considered it to fail, and the email server kept re-trying to send the email. I received several email messages saying that the emails failed during my email testing. But that was several days ago. The problem did not start until today.

The only other thing that I have done that might have triggered it was to change my DNS for some other domains that I had listed. I kept experimenting with other free sites and kept coming back to gigarank. I was trying to separate my other sites from the main site, because I don't want any other sites on this account, eventually. But there is no other free hosting that is as good as gigarank. :)

I will probably have to accept that gigarank is my only choice.

I just hope to get this IP problem resolved.

Genesis

Administrator
@"wpchurchofchrist"

If you check blacklistalert.org your IP is blacklisted. Maybe you'd like to check again?

I've unblocked your IP. But there is a chance it will be blocked again. You need to sort out the blacklisting. Gigarank doesn't look for blocking anyone. Our Firewall however is protected with scripts that are connected with blacklists. As soon as your IP gets blacklisted there is a chance that you will get blocked by Gigarank by default.

jbjenterprises

I see now that it is listed under apews.org. It appears that apews.org has blocked a range of IP addresses based on an IP address that in 2007 was using a bot, zombie, or some type of net abuse and caused the range of IP's to be listed. My IP is dynamically assigned, and not static. Therefore, it is very possible that even if I reset my modem to get a new IP address, which is a big hassle because I cannot just turn it off and on as it has to stay off for several minutes to reset the IP, it is very likely that I will just get another IP address at some point that is also blocked in the future. I do not see how this is fair at all.

Here is a copy of the entry on apews.org:
Only the ASN/CIDR owner can solve this listing by actioning FAQ 42 apews.org SHUTDOWN BOTS, ZOMBIES, NET ABUSE Spamtrap hit from: r74-195-190-172.msk1cmtc01.mskgok.ok.dh.suddenlink.net ([74.195.190.172])History:
Entry created 2007-07-25 2007-08-10: Reason changed from Only the ASN/CIDR owner can solve this listing by actioning FAQ 42 apews.org SHUTDOWN BOTS, ZOMBIES, NET ABUSE to Only the ASN/CIDR owner can solve this listing by actioning FAQ 42 apews.org SHUTDOWN BOTS, ZOMBIES, NET ABUSE Spamtrap hit from: r74-195-190-172.msk1cmtc01.mskgok.ok.dh.suddenlink.net ([74.195.190.172])

I also noticed that the blacklistalert.org website is not at all accurate and therefore should not be relied upon by blacklisting scripts. There is another listing for which I am blacklisted: multi.uribl.com. However, when I click to see why, their site explains that the methods that blacklistalert.org uses to determine if a site is blacklisted are not dependable and that my IP address is not blacklisted by multi.uribl.com.

You will find the text from multi.uribl.com's website below:

You have been redirected to this page because you are visting this site because you clicked on a link from http://www.blacklistalert.org or http://dnsbltools.com

Recently, BlacklistAlert.org and dnsbltools.com have been failing alot because they have failed to follow our implementation guidelines for check bitmask responses from multi.uribl.com lookups. They are assuming any A record returned is a positive listing, and that is not the case.

Before you email us and complain about being listed, which is probably not the case, please use our lookup form ( HTTP://LOOKUP.URIBL.COM/ ) to verify the proper status of the domain or IP address.

If you are not listed, and you email us, the email will go unanswered.

If you understand that, feel free to continue onto the link you requested:
http://uribl.com/refused.shtml

Thanks,
DNS Admin [an error occurred while processing this directive]

This problem is not only a concern because I personally was affected by this problem, but also because this exact problem will affect viewers of the hosted websites as well. If viewers cannot open up the web pages that are published because of either a mistake on the part of blacklistalert.org or the blacklisting entire ranges of IPs that are dynamically assigned to ISP end-users, then publishing the pages seems pointless. Concerning the range of IPs being blacklisted for suddenlink.net, a large number of the users for whom the page that I designed would be blacklisted, because the page is solely for the local area which mostly has Sudden Link customers.

I understand that GigaRank.net is not intentionally blocking IP's and is only making use of scripts that obtain information from other sources such as blacklistalert.org; however, it seems that if blacklistalert.org is not dependable and is not following implementation guidelines for determining a blacklisted site, then maybe those scripts should be modified to determine if an entire subnet has been blocked such as in the case of apews.org and also be modified to verify the validity of the blacklisting, such as in the case of multi.uribl.com.

By the way... thank you for unblocking my IP. I realize that this is a free service and that there is no obligation on the part of GigaRank.net. I understand that the use of blacklistalert.org is a necessary evil for the purpose of weeding out those who actually need to be blocked. Thank you for being so understanding.

Genesis

Administrator
@"wpchurchofchrist"

If it may make you feel a little better, Gigarank.net itself was blacklisted a few weeks ago, three times in succession by the same organisation. Can you imagine what that felt like? First go millions of miles to get the IP unblacklisted just to see it pop up in a few days again. AND again .... So who do you think we should have complained to? Any one listening out there? :p

We're of course very sympathetic. And will come to the assistance of our members when their IPs are blocked, but the actual fight with those who blacklist your IP is really your responsibility. Also, please don't ask us to lighten up on our security precautions. They are there to keep us unblacklisted. In the interest of all of those who are sharing the Gigarank server. Our Tech Admin may be a better person to explain exactly how those Firewall Security precautions work, but I doubt it is as simple as unticking blacklistalert.org and then removing it. It works through third parties in a network. For example when we were hit a few weeks ago, AT&T got their info from Spamhaus.com, it works in wheels within wheels.

Our Tech Admin's suggestion in a previous case like yours was to reset your IP in your WiFi. My suggestion is for you to get a really good proxy. I went through exactly what you went through a few years back, i.e. found out of the blue I was sharing my dynamic IP with a great number of spammers. Proxy helped me. Not sure what my ISP has done, but over the last year things seemed to have quietened down to the extent I can use my regular dynamic IP again. But I will never give up on the Proxy as I see it as a necessary and no longer a luxury tool. I always use my Proxy for safe traveling. If you do go for a proxy however make sure it is a really good quality Proxy. Even if you have to pay a few dollars for it. So you can make sure you're getting top security, top speed and are globally connected.

jbjenterprises

I definitely understand the need for security. However, this makes me wonder about my other hosting providers, though. Years of hosting service and never an issue on my end accessing my websites. I guess they don't use the blacklistalert.org website.

The easiest way for me to access the site when my IP was blocked was by using the TOR browser. It worked like a charm. But, again, the concern is not only for me but for the website visitors who are being blocked from my website because they use Sudden Link and happen to get one of the blacklisted IPs. Not everyone is familiar with proxies and special browsers like TOR.

Thanks again, Genesis. I completely understand. Please don't take offense to my statements in the previous message. I was only expressing my concerns.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Could possibly be our firewall, too many simultaneous connections via http / ftp can sometimes boot you. Which I suspect is most likely cause. PM an admin your IP whom can check against the firewall blocklist and remove it.

Genesis

Administrator
Already unblocked. Maybe wpchurchofchrist could confirm whether everything is OK with his IP now.

jbjenterprises

Genesis said:
Already unblocked. Maybe wpchurchofchrist could confirm whether everything is OK with his IP now.

yes.. everything is okay now. I did have a problem loading gigarank from work, which is why it has taken me so long to reply, but at home it works fine. I am also having problems with other websites at work, so maybe there is another issue there.

Thanks for the support!