Is Windows phone dead?

tfg

So,

I have dabbled in the big os's - iOS, Android and Widows Phone (My Current Phone)

I recently upgraded my phone from my iPhone 5s to a Nokia Lumia 930. I figured I am a lot of money for my iPhone, which although I think is great, I wanted to know what I was paying for that I couldn't get from another phone. I was happy with the specs of the 930 and wanted to try the windows mobile OS so took the plunge. So far I am really happy with it. The Windows Store is a little bare and the apps are not created to as higher quality as they are on iOS but everything I need is there, not necessarily everything I want though.

It seems that because developers think the system is a flop and will never get enough users they won't develop for it, which causes a downwards cycle as less apps -> less users -> less apps etc.

Personally I think he OS is great and I can't see why more people are not using it, other than the lack of apps on the app store.

So is Windows Phone Dead? Will Windows 10 revive it (I hope so)? Or is it just not strong enough to push through the iOS and Android dominated market. Personally I feel that IF the apps were there, then the OS would become much more popular. Windows 10 may offer a better incentive to develop for it, but until they find a way to get app developers working on it, I can't see how it can ever get out of the decline.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
I'm definitely going to check out Nokia Lumia 930. I've never owned a smart phone before as I like my old non blue tooth models. I realize I've got to catch up with the real world one of these days, so since Nokia is the only phones I had, maybe a Nokia Smart Phone could be a healthy transition for me.

This is the present Nokia I'm using. Has become a collector model. No one can track me, and battery lasts one week. Also heard they call it the dancing phone. When it gets a message it dances around in circles. :p

1100wit.gif

I can't imagine Windows would ever die on phones though. Microsoft is just much to BIG for that.

Windows phone aren't really dead yet. Most people don't like them as they are not as good as an Android phone. Iphones, well, I don't know why they are still going as they are the worst phone yet. Security updates every other day? Come on,people complain about their windows computers being updated all the time for security issues, yet they buy an Iphone. I had an Iphone before they were in canada. Iphone2 I believe they called it. Then the Iphone3 came to Canada. I Used to jail break them to use them on other networks, but I stopped doing that as with the 3g one, they updated the software once a week and had to redo the jailbreak. That was a total pain in the ass. I then went to a blackberry and was in heaven. I could text and drive with ease now. No touch screens and a keyboard that was easy to use. Then a few years ago after an argument with my provider, I switched to a samsung galaxy S3. Well, let me tell you, I was in heaven. I could do things that I couldn't do with Iphones or blackberry's. I could root the phone, no security updates every other day. I could even dual boot it with linux and still use it as a phone. I could do security audits on my sites. Cost next to nothing to unlock it and take it to any network. Now, after 5 months without a phone. I just bought a samsung galaxy Nexus. Its a bit old, from 2011, but it comes factory unlocked and I can go any where in the world with it and put their sim cards in it. The only draw back is, no SD card slots. Oh wait, thats another negative to Iphones. You can't take them any where or install an SD card in them. When I get some money up, I will buy a new phone that comes factory unlocked and with a sd card slot. Then I will have a computer in my hand that can do what ever I want.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
I've heard very good reports about Samsung Galaxy S3 too. And they are still popular. Looks as though versions after S3 have become more resource intensive. At one stage I have been eying the S5 though - some months ago. It sounds as though it is a really good phone to have. I'll see whether there's a Samsung Galaxy Nexus around to check out at the store. Am planning to look at both the Nokia and Samsung after work today.

Ok, the S4 and the S5 were supposed to be better then the S3. I had an S4 for about 2 weeks and dumped it quick. It was a hog on battery life and everything looked so plain. It was like no thought was put into it. S5 was out very long before the 6 and 6 edge came out and have not tested them out. I am not saying that other brands are no good. I never liked the look and feel of them compared to the Samsung. I don't know, for some reason when I pick up a samsung, it just feels right in my hand. I have looked at some others, and they seem to have better features, but feel clumsy in my hand. I base all phones on one hand operation.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I would imagine in the next 2 - 3 years Windows phones will make a resurgence, Windows 10 is geared towards a multi-device OS. They are heading towards the freemium model like Google, get OS for free and purchase addons.

bazinga

In my opinion its like ios > wp > android {iOs coz of HW optimalization thanks to little amount of supported models}. I hate android and their garbage collector. Android is not effective system. Just comparison of HW of non-laggy WP and android is enormous.
If you are thinking about WP dont go with Lumia 930 its old phone, it will be replaced soon with new flagship, rather buy cheaper Lumia 830 which is more than fine.

bazinga said:
In my opinion its like ios > wp > android {iOs coz of HW optimalization thanks to little amount of supported models}. I hate android and their garbage collector. Android is not effective system. Just comparison of HW of non-laggy WP and android is enormous.
If you are thinking about WP dont go with Lumia 930 its old phone, it will be replaced soon with new flagship, rather buy cheaper Lumia 830 which is more than fine.
WOW, majority of Androids have the most up to date HW. Its also the most user friendly O/S out their. About 75% of all the phones out there, can be rooted and modded easily. Easier then any WP or iOS phone. I have a Android phone that came factory unlocked and can be taken to any cell network. No extra software that the providers make you install or use.

jbjenterprises

tfg said:
So,

I have dabbled in the big os's - iOS, Android and Widows Phone (My Current Phone)

I recently upgraded my phone from my iPhone 5s to a Nokia Lumia 930. I figured I am a lot of money for my iPhone, which although I think is great, I wanted to know what I was paying for that I couldn't get from another phone. I was happy with the specs of the 930 and wanted to try the windows mobile OS so took the plunge. So far I am really happy with it. The Windows Store is a little bare and the apps are not created to as higher quality as they are on iOS but everything I need is there, not necessarily everything I want though.

It seems that because developers think the system is a flop and will never get enough users they won't develop for it, which causes a downwards cycle as less apps -> less users -> less apps etc.

Personally I think he OS is great and I can't see why more people are not using it, other than the lack of apps on the app store.

So is Windows Phone Dead? Will Windows 10 revive it (I hope so)? Or is it just not strong enough to push through the iOS and Android dominated market. Personally I feel that IF the apps were there, then the OS would become much more popular. Windows 10 may offer a better incentive to develop for it, but until they find a way to get app developers working on it, I can't see how it can ever get out of the decline.

I have a Windows phone. I used it for a month and I went back to using an Android. The interface is awkward, the store has very few useful apps, and it is just not a pleasure to use. I upgraded to Windows 10 on my phone before deciding to switch back to Android. It did not seem to help much at all. I thought that with Windows 10 that I would have more of a WINDOWS experience, but that was not the case. I currently have a Windows tablet that I also upgraded to Windows 10. It is awesome! But mostly because it has most of the features found in Windows 7 on a tablet and permits me to run desktop windows applications and not depend solely on the Store. The Windows phones, however, need a lot of work!

amh

i used to windows phone...very smooth compared to android.. i used Lumia 535 before and now i switch to android due to obvious reason.......lack of apps..

jbjenterprises

tfg said:
So,

I am thinking that Windows 10 will breathe some life into the Windows mobile phone market.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
When I was at Carrefour, a local supermarket here a few weeks ago I was eyeing the windows phones in a separate glass case. So when I expressed interest to check them out, particularly after reading this thread, the sales attendant said "these are all models that have been discontinued, we no longer want to stock Windows phones"! Not sure how accurate it is what he had to say but it was a good indication of how low Microsoft phones have fallen in esteem. When I asked him why they are so unpopular he said that one has to pay for some of the software and it is not as user friendly to work with the software as android phones. I'm happy hearing this though, as have no plans to ever buy a Microsoft phone where I have to buy their products as well.

tfg

The software is most defiantly just as user friendly, if not more user friendly than android and I have no idea what he means by to pay for the software? That is utter nonsense, There are apps you have to pay for - But that is the same with all phones is it not? All the base software and apps you expect to be free pretty much are i.e Facebook, messenger, whatsapp, instagram etc.

I feel the sales attendant was trying to up-sell you as they were out of stock or was simply misguided. Either way I wouldn't take what he says as anything short of the truth.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Good point @"tfg" . The sales man probably was successful in doing just that. I may try out Lumia at some time and another. To see what Windows is really like to compare it properly.

BUT - when I Googled it came across this article. Maybe you could provide your feedback on it. Probably how this thread started - when Microsoft layed off thousands of workers in its smart phone business:

http://www.computerworld.com/articl...soft-lumia-and-windows-phone-dead-itbwcw.html

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/6...sts-six-lumia-smartphones-in-the-pipeline.htm

LOL, dead, but not dead. Who knows. Window phones are ok, but like the new O/S is takes 3 times as many clicks to do anything on them. If they didn't have that childish looking software on them, I might have bought one. Oh wait, you can't root them like Android or run Linux on them like Android.

rapcanin

My second smart phone was Windows phone, and I liked it very much until win 7 came... And the best thing about my old Xperia X1 has ability to change the installed hardware for FM radio to a TMC receiver. I miss that option a lot on my android phone... The fact that every android phone has hardware possibilities to be a TMC receiver but not using it is for me very bad policy issue....
So Windows phone until win 7 came around were my choice number one, but now, android and iphone rocks all the others....

binil

I still vote for windows os. Its light and fast compared to android. But as many mentioned, the app store has very less apps. But I hope that as windows 10 comes into play, the number of apps will increase.

GigaGreg

Staff member
binil said:
I still vote for windows os. Its light and fast compared to android. But as many mentioned, the app store has very less apps. But I hope that as windows 10 comes into play, the number of apps will increase.

Yeah. After the Windows 10 being available for every device that could increase, which would make the windows os even higher, depending on what phone you use.