Joomla Anti Spam plugins

GigaGreg

Staff member
Hi Guys, are there any good anti spam extensions and plugins for the Joomla 2.5? I am getting a lot of spam on the forum at: http://emnowiny.co.uk/kunena/index . I wonder if there are anything to stop this.

I don't think that there is a chance of update to the newer version of Joomla because of the extensions I am using.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
I don't want to alarm you but I don't think you've got a choice iG. An upgrade is the only solution. We've had three users at Gigarank who have all gone this route. In fact it was worse for them as their mailboxes got compromised. Someone gained access to their mail boxes and was sending bulk spam all over the world - like in the hundreds. You don't want to go through it, as it triggered a suspension for one when his bandwidth went off the charts, like in a space of a few hours. It just happens very fast once they're in the mailbox.

GigaGreg

Staff member
Ok thanks mate, i will see if i can do update tomorrow. Btw i have something with my mysql limits on emnowiny.co.uk website.

windwalker

Hi IG,
I agree with Genesis.
ALWAYS upgrade everything.

There are a number of extensions that do what you want to do , most are for joomla 3.x
Also the upgrade for Kenuna for Joomla 3.3 has more security than for 2.5 Joomla.

You may want to look at the Version updates on joomla.org before you do automatic updates as well. Use only the stable releases. The auto updater from within Joomla with also install updates that are not stable versions.

Once you upgrade to Joomla 3.x also update your Database through the update panel in joomla. That will make sure that any left over scraps from joomla 2.5 are removed and replaced with the proper data.

I have been using joomla since Mambo went under. I think that was before Version 1.0 of joomla..

Joomla is about as secure a script as you will find any where if you keep it updated.

Over the last 15 years or so, I have been hacked in joomla only once ( Knock on wood) (Banging my head with knuckles)

Unlike Drupal and Wordpress which I have had hacked on a regular basis over the years.

But like Genesis said, you will only have worse problems with your site if you do not keep it updated.
All it will take is one BOT to fin your site out of date and they will spread the news.

With Respect,

Jim

GigaGreg

Staff member
Thanks Jim, this was helpful, I will try to make my website safer as son as i can, but I can't find a time for this yet.

windwalker

One thing I would suggest IG is that once you upgrade, install Admin Tools.
Here is one suggestion http://www.opensource-excellence.com/ose-anti-hacker.html There are some similar free extensions as well.

I use ksecure and jHackGuard, both have free versions.

They also do a fairly good job.

Spam is much easier to stop than hackers, but I suggest that you take both precautions.

For spam there is also SpambotCheck. You can use some of the spam programs together. Depending on your site configuration.

If having more than one gives you n issue, I would simply disable them and try one at a time to see which works best for you.

There are indeed several extensions to deal with spam and most work rather well.

Now if they would just find a way to deal with spoofing I would be happy..LOL

I visited your forum.. Very nice forum with lots of info.
I have never visited England, but one day I would love to visit some of the castles there.

GigaGreg

Staff member
Yeah lots of spam. I need to maintain the website, also planning to change the whole look of it (new theme), but currently i am abroad and don't have my PC with all my stuff, so I can't do much, however I will try, because this is important.