Learning 3D modelling

Gregoric

Hello there

Recently, I got interested in so called low-poly and geometric art. So, I wanted to do some pieces myself. After checking out some tutorials, I decided to check Cinema4D out. That's a 3D modelling app similar to Blender or Autodesk's CAD tools.

After doing some basic learning stuff, I finally completed my first piece of digital "art" yesterday. Modeled with Cinema4D and then edited using Photoshop.

What do you think? :)

(click for full image & download link)

I have a problem though. When you will watch the image in the full scale, you will probably see little artifacts, black/darker pixels which are not smooth (although they should).
QMnsMEV.png

I think that the rendering process has something to do with it. Do any of you have some experience with 3D graphics or any clue why does the image have these flaws? Also, I'd gladly hear your opinions on this picture, I personally do like it ;)

Yozora

@"Gregoric" Oh, I like that picture! It kind of looks like a close-up of a rose, or another multi-layered flower.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about making 3D graphics, but I'd love to read more about what you're learning & creating.

Gregoric

Thanks for the opinion, Yozora ;)

Here's another low-poly quickie. Some kind of Mars/Mecury landscape, looks neat enough to become one of my wallpapers. It's a great feeling to be able to create such thingies, because I do really love such style and in the past there weren't too much digital artists creating those.

(click for full image & download)

Nevertheless, gotta go ahead and maybe create something more advanced soon. Three-dimensional graphics is truly a great medium ;)

Gregoric

Genesis said:
What software did you use with it Gregoric? :cool:

It's Cinema4D render and a slight color correction made in Photoshop. Modelling took about half an hour (it's based on a tutorial by Nick Campbell on Greyscalegorilla.com) and rendering took like four or five minutes.

It looks pretty amazing, one might think it requires a lot of resources and/or modelling but it's not true, as one sees above. What is more, I do have a rather weak laptop machine, which has dual 2.2GHz processor and integrated Intel GMA 2000 graphics card ;) Probably, if I'd use a decent machine, the render would take like a second or two ;)

Genesis

Administrator
Agreed. It looks awesome. I saw something different - not artistic - but for creating a shiny button in GIMP - I realize it is not even close to your high quality, but I was still fascinated with all of the millions of layers and patience it took to make the button:

[video=youtube]

This 3-D copy of a photoshop image - using GIMP from scratch is interesting, but I guess if there is Photoshop and one wants to do something like this, probably better to get Photoshop:

[video=youtube]

Gregoric

@Genesis
Such stuff is great as well, but it is one-dimension less creative ;) If you would think about the first video with the button - nowadays it is preferrable to do such buttons (or any interface content) using the goodies of CSS3 or at least vector graphics. Anyways, I'd rather choose such solutions instead of creating a raster graphic. You may, however, still use it for print graphics, so yeah, that's still fruitful method ;)

I've been fighting with VPS and Wordpress recently, so didn't manage to do anything too impressive. Anyways, here's new one. First, testing post on tumblr. As usual, Cinema4D and some Photoshop.

(full blog post)

Edit: I've just realised that after switching to tumblr, I have to reupload all the wordpress stuff. Why wasn't it obvious for me? ;D

yusha

Okay for designing a game It's always better to use 3Ds Max and for making an animated movie I'll suggest you to use Maya.

Yozora

Gregoric said:
@Genesis
Such stuff is great as well, but it is one-dimension less creative ;) If you would think about the first video with the button - nowadays it is preferrable to do such buttons (or any interface content) using the goodies of CSS3 or at least vector graphics. Anyways, I'd rather choose such solutions instead of creating a raster graphic. You may, however, still use it for print graphics, so yeah, that's still fruitful method ;)

I've been fighting with VPS and Wordpress recently, so didn't manage to do anything too impressive. Anyways, here's new one. First, testing post on tumblr. As usual, Cinema4D and some Photoshop.

(full blog post)

Edit: I've just realised that after switching to tumblr, I have to reupload all the wordpress stuff. Why wasn't it obvious for me? ;D

Woah, it looks so real! I bet you could sell stuff like that as stock images if you felt like it. It seems like like your skills have really improved.

Yozora

fargcbm said:
What is the best 3D program

I've used program 3d Maya

But I found it difficult to use
Seems lot of people use Maya or 3D Studio Max. Blender seems nice to play around with if you want something free. I haven't used any personally though.