maybe smart as rule to point to

perryoo11

I have been reading topics here and seen alot asking about game hoating or ts3 hosting just set in rule only site hosting. Gamehosting and voice server is inposible here. They can be annoying to real vps server due to heavy load and disk usage for an stupid game. Reffer them to find something else.

And most off them doesn't even know how linux works(commands).

GigaGreg

Staff member
Voice server is possible just it depends on how many people you would want to host :) and if your server is legal or not. For a large amount of people hosting, you need to have better specs or dedicated server. Game servers will just destroy low spec vps and Gigarank is not for both of them definitely.

Genesis

Administrator
Game servers are against the Gigarank TOS. Perry is quite right. They are not allowed on Gigarank hosting accounts for the reasons he mentioned. Voice server may not work as you'll be out of resources before you started on it.

perryoo11

ok but i see voice server and by gigarank vps hosting i dont love it is limited on stock as text says and if someone have a serious project is a voice server not serious.

Genesis

Administrator
The free VPSs we have are probably better for Websites that don't use a lot of resources. Those who are thinking voice servers should investigate the resources that are needed but my guess would be you'd need at least 1GB RAM. Our free VPSs have 512 MB. It may work depending on how it is set up, but you'd max out quite fast on the resources.

Virtuous

That is correct as most people don't know how to use them and yes servers that are given here are low end usage servers.

perryoo11

Genesis said:
The free VPSs we have are probably better for Websites that don't use a lot of resources. Those who are thinking voice servers should investigate the resources that are needed but my guess would be you'd need at least 1GB RAM. Our free VPSs have 512 MB. It may work depending on how it is set up, but you'd max out quite fast on the resources.

yea ok there is a point. in my point oif view i am a bit seeing it as high resource eater and website eya it can use alot but not that much as voice servre and game server!

i hope you know what i mean.

Peter

Genesis said:
Game servers are against the Gigarank TOS.

What exactly is a game server?

The TOS for the shared hosting only mentions "text based online games". Is it OK to host image based online games?

I take it you are talking about games where the server is doing a lot of game logic computations at real-time, like a Counter strike server would. If I had a small web-based chess game for instance that can't be disallowed, can it? Unless you do a lot of heavy AI computations just moving some pieces should not be any more demanding on the server than making forum posts and other common website activities.

I think some clarification is needed.

Genesis

Administrator
Peter said:
Genesis said:
Game servers are against the Gigarank TOS.

What exactly is a game server?

The TOS for the shared hosting only mentions "text based online games". Is it OK to host image based online games?

I take it you are talking about games where the server is doing a lot of game logic computations at real-time, like a Counter strike server would. If I had a small web-based chess game for instance that can't be disallowed, can it? Unless you do a lot of heavy AI computations just moving some pieces should not be any more demanding on the server than making forum posts and other common website activities.

I think some clarification is needed.
Correct. The logical reason mentioned in your last paragraph. The kind that involves intense scripts that can create havoc with resources of a shared server, or scripts that are unlicensed or illegal. Rather than to figure out what they are, better just not to have any of them. A shared server isn't the place to have them any way.

A web-based chess game is completely OK.