MOOCS (Coursera, Edx, etc)

Yozora

What do you think of Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs)? Are they a good alternative to classroom learning? Have you taken a MOOC course?

I've tried some and got too busy with other things to finish, which is why I think a self-paced version of Coursera (something like Udemy) might work better for me, although there are so many interesting-looking Coursera & EdX courses, I might give MOOCs another chance.

What do you think about MOOCs?

Genesis

Administrator
Looks interesting except although I see courses about IT I don't see anything for Websites development. I may join up with lynda.com one of these days. Think it is more suited to what I want and I noticed it has Linux Cent0S as well. :p

PeaceSigns

They're great - only wish I had the time to go through them. Services like Kahn academy are doing wonders for people in learning after school

seliol

I love em. Most are clear and useful, and precisely - they only go through useful & up-to-date content, unlike traditional education.

My solution for Coursera is downloading the course for watching later, then I don't worry much about losing the chance to see it. Though I do miss my chance to do tests/exercises and ask questions.

Udacity has some free IT courses, worth looking at.
I'm interested in trying out Tree Academy.

Genesis said:
Looks interesting except although I see courses about IT I don't see anything for Websites development. I may join up with lynda.com one of these days. Think it is more suited to what I want and I noticed it has Linux Cent0S as well. :p

There aren't many places that offer course for website development. Alot learn a programming language and then branch out from their. I started off leaning PHP and then applied it to website dev.

Now about online course. A lot are geared to be done on your time. But if you are like me ,I some times get carried away with a project and forget to do other things.

LiveWire

MOOCs are great way to get high quality education from elite institutions like MIT, Harvard etc with little fee for certification.

Udacity has, lately, started providing nano-degrees in Android Apps Development, Java Application Development, Data Science, iOS App Development, and Full Stack Web App Development.

I enrolled once in Algorithm course from Coursera but couldn't keep-up with their pace, as I hardly find time after work. But will try to complete it soon.

x86

MOOCs sites are great, i concur with Livewire, its a great channel to get certified from prestige universities with reasonable price.