Mozilla Firefox Crashing

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
I've never had Mozilla Firefox crashing on me EVER. So after the last and current update 22.0, my Firefox windows seems to be crashing frequently. Thankfully, it's easy to restore, but wonder whether any one else has the same problem?

Sander k

I did, it was somekind of javascript problem, as it only crashed on websites with huge amounts of ads for as far as I have seen.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think ads are the problem, as I don't have new Websites open. They're the usual ones. I'm guessing that it may be a Mozilla Firefox plug in for downloading YouTube movies. Probably need to remove and reinstall Mozilla from scratch minus the plug ins. Will do so when I feel energetic enough! Am dead beat from the heat - we're in the forties today and I got thoroughly zapped earlier in the day. :p

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
The saga still continues. I first Googled the problem, and then learned that it may be a Norton Anti-Virus conflict with the latest Mozilla update 22.0.
http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Mozilla-firefox/td-p/985331

I then followed the advice uninstalled Mozilla Version 22.0 and re-installed the previous 21.0, but then the crashing got worse than it was before. Darn!

So I went a step further and much more drastic today. My Kaspersky that I'm using for my laptop is due for renewal in a couple of weeks. It covers 3 licenses. So I brought the renewal date forward. Got completely rid of my Norton Anti-Virus software, and then installed Kasperksy from scratch. Was quite surprised how fast it took to load compared with before. I had it up and running in no time. And was totally confident I'd arrived at the answer, until Mozilla crashed again. This time round there was an improvement however, so I think Norton was still the problem. It's only crashed once tonight, and I've got at least 50 tabs open. Sort of really giving Mozilla a great work-out. I'm hoping the crash is a one-off.

Not sure what my next solution will be. At the back of my head I'm wondering whether it's finally time for me to try out Google Chrome. Give in to Big Brother. :p I just hate letting go of Mozilla however. Will give it at least a few more rounds of trying different solutions, and waiting for Mozilla's 23.0 update.

Dark Shadow

I've never had issues with Firefox before. I'm sure there has to be a reason for it. Have you thought about flushing your DNS after you changed to Kasperksy?

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Well the saga continues. Mozilla is crashing even more than usual. Tonight I did a few more steps. I disabled all of my Firefox plug-ins. Then checked whether my Flash and Acrobat were up to date. Then added two more softwares (recommended by Mozilla Firefox):

1. Malware Bytes
2. Super anti spyware

Ran them both. And got a nice surprise. About three months ago or so when I was downloading Freeware from cnet, I got "Funmoods" bundled in without my permission, and come what may could not get rid of it. I deleted the software in my Control Panel, and removed it in Mozilla Firefox, but it didn't want to go away so obviously was embedded in areas I couldn't reach, including my Registry. Any way, Malware bytes managed to isolate them and helped me get rid of Funmoods finally. Super anti spyware found four cookies that I got rid off as well.

3. Flushed my DNS a couple of times

Will see how Mozilla Firefox performs now. I don't think the above could have been a factor in the crashing. At least my computer has been thoroughly scanned now for malware, and Funmoods is no longer around.

Goku

I had a problem like that some time as well, and when I disabled the plug-ins the problem went away.

PeaceSigns

Switch to another browser perhaps - or update your version of Firefox to one of the nightly builds. If you're in the mood for a new browser, might I suggest Chrome or Kmeleon?

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
My Mozilla Firefox hasn't crashed in a long time now. The measures I used with disabling all of my plug-ins must have helped. Not sure which one was the culprit though.

PeaceSigns

Here's a trick to lower memory issues (and therefore prevent crashes) - it's a bit proactive on your part, but every now and then click on the minimize button to immediately decrease the amount of memory Firefox uses. It will minimize the browser windows, but you can restore it for an immediate boost to your memory.

What happens is Firefox clears the memory cache it's using and returns it back in use - but quickly it'll regain back as you use your tabs.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the tip, although probably not suitable for someone as impatient as I am. :p

I don't have memory issues at all. Haven't had memory issues for the last few years of using Mozilla Firefox. And that is with having some times as many as 50 or more Windows open in a single sitting. The crashing was something for the first time ever, and looks as though it is sorted out. Positive part of it is that I got to work with Firefox's solutions and got two new software packages to scan for spy ware. They got rid of Funmoods remnants of a long time ago as well. That endeared Mozilla Firefox even more with me.

PeaceSigns

I'm guess you haven't tried Chrome or Opera, two great browsers (Chrome probably will become the #1 web browser by the end of the year).

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
I'm Big Brother resistant on Chrome, and love what Mozilla Firefox stands for in the industry. May try Chrome one day though, but for now am a Mozilla Firefox fan.

cobaltsean99

Hellsing said:
I've never had Mozilla Firefox crashing on me EVER. So after the last and current update 22.0, my Firefox windows seems to be crashing frequently. Thankfully, it's easy to restore, but wonder whether any one else has the same problem?

Firefox has bugs everywhere. They release a new version, I think, way too soon. Firefox doesn't just crash on certain websites, with or without loads of ads and crap they put on them. Firefox crashes because of so many of the bugs AND the fact that some people put hundreds of plugins and themes on it, and don't uninstall theme when they are done. I moved away from Firefox and started using Google's Chrome. I really enjoy it, and have never had a crash in it.

PeaceSigns

I've had Chrome crash on me several times - usually when flash misbehaves. But the neat part of CHrome is that every tab is independent of each other, so if a tab crashes only that tab has to be closed and restarted. None of the other tabs are affected. It even has it's own tab task manager if a tab starts misbehaving.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Mozilla Firefox was great from that point of view. When it crashed, it automatically came up with apologies, and then offering to reinstate all of the tabs. I never lost my tabs. And even when I was half way in writing a post, the half written post was also available.

amethyst

I had several issues with FF update. Following several uninstall/clean/reinstall, and still crashing.

I went in search of another browser, as I was having Chrome/Flash issues as well. Having used the Maxthon browser for several weeks now I am very happy with performance. I sometimes have 20 tabs open and maxthon is the only browser that does not appear to be bothered by this sort of usage.

http://www.maxthon.com/

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome. Thanks for that suggestion. Is Maxthon open source as well. Probably should go check if it is. :p

Just checked, this REALLY looks good! :good: