MPC vs VLC

dukesx

Which player suits you best ? VLC or the great MPC ? VLC is the top most i know but still its debatable right ? MPC is no doubt one of the best and seems to play any type of video file smoothly and renders the image in fantastic quality , but what if you had to choose one in these ? which one would be it ?

Peter

I don't think I have ever heard of MPC. I have used VLC for many years and it has been great, but nowadays I don't care so much and often use Totem which is the default player on Debian.

Yozora

MPC = (Windows) Media Player Classic, right? If so, they're both good, and I use them both regularly.

jbjenterprises

I always use VLC. Over time for me it has been the most dependable.

I just downloaded MPC. I am missing a feature that I use in VLC. I have not found a way to replay a video or replay a playlist.

perryoo11 said:
vlc. it goes on every platform linux, windows, android. great player.

I agree. That is another reason why I like VLC. It runs on Linux, Windows, and Android, and I use it on all three.

Does MPC run on Linux under Wine?

fouadChk

dukesx said:
Which player suits you best ? VLC or the great MPC ? VLC is the top most i know but still its debatable right ? MPC is no doubt one of the best and seems to play any type of video file smoothly and renders the image in fantastic quality , but what if you had to choose one in these ? which one would be it ?

Well then, it should be the great VLC. I don't think MPC is cross-platform... and it's there where VLC shines among other things of course.

RedWolf

I am user of VLC i dont have lot expiriance with MPC but i always use VLC and i never had issue with it, if you read guide on VLC you can use it to stream videos from internet or even to internet as well. Sometimes i have flash player problems if website has "Use device player" option it will start VLC

gigame

I have found in the past that VLC is heavy and slow, and sometimes struggles to render heavy videos showing green pixels. Lately I have had good results with it, but a long time ago I had to find an alternative and that was MPC-HC. It is an engine, and many other players use it's engine, like ExMplayer and my personal choice for some visual candy SMPlayer, which is basically MPC with a more user-friendly UI. It is very quick, reliable and codec independent. Besides it has a very useful feature: under 'Subtitles' menu there is an option 'Find subtitles at OpenSubtitles.org...'. As expected, searches the current file being played and displays the available subtitles on that website (you can determine your preferred language in the options or it displays all). After selecting one option it automatically downloads and loads it, displaying the subtitles in a matter of seconds. If it is out of sync you can try another one.

ValueError

VLC has so many plug-ins and add-ons! It is portable, cross-platform, very light and easy to use. It handles most formats! MPC seems a bit too basic for mem but I might be wrond. I didn`t use it for some time because... there is VLC!

hurakura

none of those two. I use Potplayer, I've used MPC and VLC before, but i find MPC's interface archaic, and VLC is oriented towards streaming, not really for watching movies.
PotPlayer has builtin decoder for any type of video and audio media files and lots of image and audio processing features.
It's my preferred player for watching Bluray movies on the PC.

souly13

i think that Windows media player is the powerful player that exist till now, more stable and play a lot of type of media ( require only codec installation ), but in other hand vlc is a great player for IPTV fans, it's fast and can be connected with your enigma2 boxes easily, and quickly than wmp.

MikeGao

It's more of a personal preference. I perfer VLC because it has much more available setting. Mplayer has much less setting. But if you are bored messing around, yes Mplayer is better