Must have windows apps ?

dukesx

New member
which apps are a must have with windows users ? especially if they are into editing and coding , actually i am involved in both but i wonder which ones area must :D LOL
 

retrever

New member
Personally I love sublime text, it's cross platform, so I use it at home on PCs, work out comes my Mac, then IPad on way home on train.
Full screen so nothing distracts you, I won't use anything else now....
 

smalpierre

New member
@"retrever" I never tried it, I went with PHPStorm - not much more money and it's a real IDE, not a text editor. But if you're not getting too heavy into server side code, it's probably a good choice.

For me right now:

PHPStorm
MySql Workbench
wampServer
GIMP
Filezilla
 

jbjenterprises

New member
When I do a fresh install, the first apps that I install are VLC for video playback, Gimp for image editing, Debut for screen recording, and Dropbox for cloud file management. I also install Microsoft Office. If I do not have access to Microsoft Office, I install Libre Office. Now, however, it is possible to edit Microsoft documents using online Microsoft tools.
 

fouadChk

Member
dukesx said:
which apps are a must have with windows users ? especially if they are into editing and coding , actually i am involved in both but i wonder which ones area must :D LOL

You should have been more specific. There are tones of software out there and it all depends on what you really want to do.

For Web development as an example.
>> The standard Web Stack
> Apache 2.4.xx
> MySQL 5.x
> PHP 5.5 / 5.6 / 7

>> You can go with Node.js instead
> Nodejs 4.x.x / 5.x.x
> MySQL 5.x
> Mongodb
> Redis
> Memcached

>> Simple editor
> Notepad ++

....... and the list can go on and on and on if you also want to develop with Python or Ruby or even .NET.

PS: I didn't mention Java because I really don't like this language.
 

Peter

New member
I personally don't use Windows but the most important programs that I install on my parents' computer is Libre Office so that they can view and edit document, and Firefox and Chrome for web browsing (I prefer Firefox but I don't know if everyone do so it doesn't hurt having both).
 

fouadChk

Member
Peter said:
I personally don't use Windows but the most important programs that I install on my parents' computer is Libre Office so that they can view and edit document, and Firefox and Chrome for web browsing (I prefer Firefox but I don't know if everyone do so it doesn't hurt having both).

It's fine to have both of them installed but I don't do it anymore. I've decided a couple of years ago to remove Google's Chrome on my online machines and installed it only on the 'Off the Grid' ones. The reason why I have to have the latest iteration of it is for testing the latest Chrome's implementation of the JS APIs. But Chrome is not the browser you can count on for your daily browsing routines.

Two things makes Google's chrome a very bad choice as a routine web browser:
> The first one is that it's Google's browser: there is an inherent/fundamental conflict of interest between these 2 Google's businesses: 'browser maker' and search engine operator plus being an Omnipresent entity on the Web.

> The second one is that it's a rogue piece of soft in the sense that it will do everything to bypass your settings to prevent it from updating itself without your green light (it looks as if Google thinks that its browser is only used by retards... )

Last thought on this:
People who are so fond of Chrome are better off if they simply go for Chromium (its open source code base) instead... Chrome (on the other hand) is proprietary software as it adds significant portions of closed-source code to it.

The thing I want to make clear here is that a software is either OPEN-SOURCE (built upon 100% freely available source-code) or NOT. Thus the fact that Chrome relies on an open source project (chromium) doesn't mean anything if, in the end, they add closed (non-disclosed) code in it....

Don't get me wrong here, I like Google when it comes to its so many critical contributions that were essential to moving the Web foreword and in so many front (contributing to Web standards, countless open-source projects from language design like Go to improving Web protocols like the newly available HTTP/2.... etc. ) What I despise though is its snooping business part.
 

Peter

New member
I agree with much of what you say fouadChk. They use Windows 10 so they obvously don't care much about "open source" but you are of course right, I should have tried to install Chromium instead (or not install it at all and see if they say anything). The reason I installed Chrome in the first place was because they used a ChomeCast device that forced you to use Chrome to stream things, but it has been returned to the owner so Chrome is not needed for that reason any more.
 

fouadChk

Member
Peter said:
I agree with much of what you say fouadChk. They use Windows 10 so they obvously don't care much about "open source" but you are of course right, I should have tried to install Chromium instead (or not install it at all and see if they say anything). The reason I installed Chrome in the first place was because they used a ChomeCast device that forced you to use Chrome to stream things, but it has been returned to the owner so Chrome is not needed for that reason any more.

I see your context Peter. My previous post was just another opportunity to rant about Chrome & Google's Worldwide snooping business...
 

Genesis

Administrator
fouadChk said:
Peter said:
I agree with much of what you say fouadChk. They use Windows 10 so they obvously don't care much about "open source" but you are of course right, I should have tried to install Chromium instead (or not install it at all and see if they say anything). The reason I installed Chrome in the first place was because they used a ChomeCast device that forced you to use Chrome to stream things, but it has been returned to the owner so Chrome is not needed for that reason any more.

I see your context Peter. My previous post was just another opportunity to rant about Chrome & Google's Worldwide snooping business...
You're not alone. I love ranting about Chrome and Google too. And Microsoft. And Adobe. And YouTube. And Facebook. All the big corporations who are restricting or controlling users for their own gain or opportunism.
 

tornado

New member
Well I suggest as you are a programmer you have the best IDEs

  1. Visual Studio 2015
  2. Sublime Text
  3. Atom
  4. Vim
  5. Emacs

And any other you feel is good.
 

Genesis

Administrator
tornado said:
Well I suggest as you are a programmer you have the best IDEs

  1. Visual Studio 2015
  2. Sublime Text
  3. Atom
  4. Vim
  5. Emacs

And any other you feel is good.
I still have to figure out why people want to use Atom. When it really is a copy cat of Sublime's. I'm curious though, why would you be using both? For me Sublime's far better and simpler. Atom was a headache to get into, and I dropped it within a week of trying it. I'm not a high volume coder though, maybe there's a secret about Atom's functionality or features that still need to be discovered by me and that is known to your more productive coders out there. :unknown:
 

tornado

New member
Genesis said:
tornado said:
Well I suggest as you are a programmer you have the best IDEs

  1. Visual Studio 2015
  2. Sublime Text
  3. Atom
  4. Vim
  5. Emacs

And any other you feel is good.
I still have to figure out why people want to use Atom. When it really is a copy cat of Sublime's. I'm curious though, why would you be using both? For me Sublime's far better and simpler. Atom was a headache to get into, and I dropped it within a week of trying it. I'm not a high volume coder though, maybe there's a secret about Atom's functionality or features that still need to be discovered by me and that is known to your more productive coders out there. :unknown:

Well I just recommended the many possible IDEs not that you should use them all. And the advantages of Atom:

  1. Open Source
  2. Free Use, no cost
  3. Packages
  4. Lightweight
  5. Add/Remove functionality
 

tarhacq

New member
dukesx said:
which apps are a must have with windows users ? especially if they are into editing and coding , actually i am involved in both but i wonder which ones area must :D LOL

Hi I'm new on this forum.
I think that the better way to code and build projects is to install Eclipse on your PC.
This IDE run under Windows and help you to develop on many languages.
 

myserver99

New member
Well my list is: Winrar, Vlc media player, notepad++, unity3D, Bittorent (research only ;) ), BS player (because some movies just cant be watched with VLC), Mario (i love that game, lol) Firefox, and the list can continue on and on. For coding, depends on what you are coding, if you are using C then visual studio is great.