mysql database viewer?

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
I've been searching the Internet for hours to find an offline mysql database viewer. I've downloaded the database and all I want is a software that would allow me to view it on my computer.

So basically something that reads a .sql file. I thought that would be pretty simple, but not so far.

I can find loads of software that one can use to view mysql databases online, but so far nothing to view it offline without making life really complicated. The closest I found was maybe Excel, but then I have to download a few programs first so I can have access to mySQL for Excel Addon.

GigaGreg

Staff member
Have you tried MS Access? Excel is good for flat databases and spreadsheets. Access might allow you to do this.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
I found something a little better thanks. Just for viewing the file.

http://sqlfiddle.com/

I opened up my .sql database in Notepad. Copy and pasted it into the sqlfiddle box, and it was easy to check through the data (looked much better than what one gets in Notepad).

Technically one needs phpAdmin to work with the database. Would have been great if one could have an offline version, but looks as though one has to have a local server in order to run phpAdmin on one's computer. Which brought me to WAMP. I'd like to study that a little bit closer before I install it (if I install it), particularly since it would probably make one's computer very vulnerable security wise.

GigaGreg

Staff member
Not really because you would have to open particual ports to make the computer vulnerable. Port for ftp and the port for mysql, cant remember the numbers but if you unlock them, then your computer will be vulnerable to hackers, ddos and such.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Great. As I think it did say that all of those are closed by default. One has to open them first. which is kind'a reassuring.

bogner17

WAMP or look at XAMPP they are pretty secure as they are usually only to be setup as a local server and not to the general public unless you open the corresponding ports and give your IP. Most broadband connections or dynamic IP's so they change all the time. I'd recommend installing a local server and learning the true potential of MYSQL along with phpmyadmin and how you can use them to create dynamic database driven web applications. There is a wealth of knowledge available online.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Bogner. Part I like about your info is that I'd need to open my port for it to connect up with the rest of the world. Which is what I don't want. So that sounds attractive indeed. I get to have a local host and can use it as a dummy host without going public at the same time. :good:

rockforlife

bogner17 said:
WAMP or look at XAMPP they are pretty secure as they are usually only to be setup as a local server and not to the general public unless you open the corresponding ports and give your IP. Most broadband connections or dynamic IP's so they change all the time. I'd recommend installing a local server and learning the true potential of MYSQL along with phpmyadmin and how you can use them to create dynamic database driven web applications. There is a wealth of knowledge available online.

This is what I do as well. I have XAMPP installed.

try XAMPP. easy to install and use.
once you have installed it. run the conrol center and start apache and mysql servers. then use any browser and go to localhost/phpmyadmin
there you can import the downloaded database file (if it is in .sql format) . after importing that you can view the contents

abc1

I use now "heidisql" - it allows desginf or MySQL, SQL and PostgreSQL and of course Free :)

Really good product and allows multiple DB management .. I use Postgres more than MySql - though

smalpierre

I second the Workbench vote. It's what I use ... Now if you REALLY want to look at the database though, you'll also want to install MySql, and run that script in the sql window.

This editor is not like a programming IDE though, it's more like a multi-line command prompt. It actually runs the code against the database.

If you've backed up a database and got a sql file, all that is - is a bunch of code that describes the database, not the actual data file. It describes the structure, and content - but you'll have to run it to create the database on a live server to do anything meaningful with it - like query it for data, or inspect it's structure - unless you know SQL and DDL pretty well, which I doubt or you would already know this :)