Naughty Microsoft includes Windows 10 promo in updates ...

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
This is why I hate those pesky updates in my Windows 7 as I don't always know what they are about. I know I can check up on them before I activate them, but how many of us do that? All we do is let them happen as after all we're being warned to keep our Windows up to date as those updates are designed to protect our Windows from exploits.

So here Microsoft just completely irked me and we probably should have expected this any way. It has been pushing updates to Windows 7 and 8 that prepares its system for the Windows 10 update. Apparently at least one of the updates, KB 3035583, appears to have been designed to advertise Windows 10 once it comes out.

The link below shows how to check whether you've got some of Microsoft's spam updates downloaded and how to remove them from your Windows:
http://www.ghacks.net/2015/04/17/how-to-remove-windows-10-upgrade-updates-in-windows-7-and-8/

I just checked and I've got all of those updates except for two on my system. Think I'll keep them there for now, but am not impressed. When they get to be troublesome at the point where Microsoft wants to persuade me to get Windows 10, I'll get rid of them.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I don't usually jump on board with new windows releases although I'm planning on taking the leap of faith with windows10. Well at least with my laptop, no plans to update my desktop.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

GigaGreg

Staff member
I just had 69 critical updates, and I think that these are for prepare for the win10. I haven't updated my windows in a while though.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
iGdesigner said:
I just had 69 critical updates, and I think that these are for prepare for the win10. I haven't updated my windows in a while though.

There are only six updates involved - the check below is for Windows 7 - when I checked mine I had four out of the six installed on my system. Microsoft is not bothering me presently, but expectation is that after the release of Windows 10 Microsoft is going to bother you with popups to advertise Windows 10 - I decided I'll wait until then and if it is really a nuisance deal with it then - - or keep it if I think I want to upgrade - - although like DJB I usually take my time about upgrades - - I'd like to see how Windows 10 does and let it work through its initial bugs first - - the link in my OP and below shows how to remove and also block Microsoft from loading the updates again - at the same time you can unblock them at a later date if you want to upgrade to Windows 10:

First thing you may want to do is find out whether those updates are installed. If they are installed, you can remove them from the system and block them from being installed again.

Do the following to check if an update is installed:

Tap on the Windows-key, type cmd and hit enter.

Type powershell and hit enter.

Use the command get-hotfix -id KB3035583 to find out whether the update is installed

To speed things up, query for all updates in a single command like this: get-hotfix -id KB3035583, KB2952664,KB2976978,KB3021917,KB3044374,KB2990214

check-windows-updates-installed.jpg
Source: http://www.ghacks.net/2015/04/17/how-to-remove-windows-10-upgrade-updates-in-windows-7-and-8/

T.Kawabata

Just updating is rather acceptable even I do not like it, Design and function change is never acceptable for us. Do they know how many systems and how long they takes to change to fit it?

_Hoh_

All I can say it's that this is the first time Microsoft has offered an OS for free, legally.

I hope the next step is to change licences to GPL but that is ask too much.

T.Kawabata

_Hoh_ said:
All I can say it's that this is the first time Microsoft has offered an OS for free, legally.

I hope the next step is to change licences to GPL but that is ask too much.

Ya, I guess so. I can't imagine frankly what happen if it really happen..