Need input of design

I have been the co-developer of a CMS since 2001. I am a few others have worked on and maintained the code. We have repaired bugs, and made a few changes to the base code. The original Dev site is now gone and the original creator of the code has giving me sole control over the code. Back in 2005, I updated the code to meet W3C standards. Although they have changed a few things, its still working and meeting the standards I did back then. In 2006, I then converted the code to use Divs instead of tables. By doing so, I removed some features as it didn't convert to divs properly.

Now with the advent of mobile devices, I am updating the code to be mobile friendly. I did have a script that would make it work on non smart phones using WAP. Listed below is both versions of the code.

Tell me what set up should I change to mobile and if I should change or add any feature to them.

Divs
tables

This code was first created in 1998.

Yozora

Maybe take the color scheme from the tables version and apply it to the mobile version? One of the things I was taught about typography is to avoid using large areas of white text on dark backgrounds because it causes eyestrain.

Yozora said:
Maybe take the color scheme from the tables version and apply it to the mobile version? One of the things I was taught about typography is to avoid using large areas of white text on dark backgrounds because it causes eyestrain.

Yes, each one of these have an ability for users to change the themes. I used the dark colour on the divs as its was the theme that was easy to use at the time. I just never go around to adding the function to change the the style to CSS yet. Once I can recover my hard drive again with my login info, I will add that feature back and change the theme from dark to light.

GigaGreg

Staff member
The ability of changing themes does not work, I have just tested out on the div version. It looked like PHP-Fusion CMS for a while, but it is not.

iGdesigner said:
The ability of changing themes does not work, I have just tested out on the div version. It looked like PHP-Fusion CMS for a while, but it is not.

No, the div version it does not work. I removed that functions as at the time, I didn't know how to do it with CSS. The older or table version it does work. With the tables version, it used themes and it changed with php files.

But glad you brought that to my attention. In tables its select skin and select a theme. The select a theme has nothing to do with the style, but has to do with the Topics. I am amazed that it never caught my attention before or no one had mention that. That Theme can be removed or renamed to News category instead. 17 years its been like that. I guess no one ever really looked at the site that well.

Thanks for bring that to my attention.

Basically, this CMS was for posting news on Hacking and security. It had a web forum for users with categories something like here. You could use smilies, but the function to edit you post was not there. It does have user levels and with each, you had different things you can do. It does have a function where users could upload and share files and a picture gallery. Something that I always thought wasn't needed and the same with the event calender.

GigaGreg

Staff member
It is not that bad to be fair. If you bring some modern layout to it, it could be a niche cms for personal websites/blogs or portfolios tbh.

smalpierre

With CSS what you'd do is use SASS so you can use variables - then you can do like this:
Code:
$site-green: #BADA55;
$site-white: $F7F7F7;

$brand-main: $site-green;
$brand-alt: $site-white;

.header {
   background: $brand-main;
   color: $brand-alt;
}

.content-area {
   background: $brand-alt;
   color: $brand-main;
}

Then you can change out skins pretty much at will. It's brutally simple - but if you add css gradients and transforms to objects it works incredibly well - like a chrome effect on a header in orange can be turned green with the flip of a switch. You can literally reskin something by changing the values of a couple of variables or including a different sass partial.