New Member asking the obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxsteam

Hi. I'm new to this site and new to the idea. I've tried a few free cpanel hosts before and the best ones have lasted a while before leaving me up the creak. Basically, my principal email address and web site are offline and I'd like to get them up and running. As I understand this site, I exchange a few messages here, then get a handful of domains hosted for free for life? Is this so or is there a charge that I only find out about later? Are there ads on the sites? Sorry to be cynical but I've wasted a lot of time on other sites.

GigaGreg

Staff member
After writing 10 quality posts, you may apply for web hosting that is free-of-charge for life time, unless you would need more space, then could donate 100 points to "bank" or upgrade from free host to paid host for money.

asexual synergy

I might not be understanding all of what maxsteam is saying but I wanted to mention that the free hosting only allows one domain (per user) to be hosted. In other words, I can't sign up under two different names on this forum and post to get two different domains hosted. There's also an option to "double everything" on your basic free hosting account so you get more space. I've been here almost a year and have never had any down time that I know of, my site always loads quickly and the "customer service" here is top-notch.

GigaGreg

Staff member
asexual synergy said:
I might not be understanding all of what maxsteam is saying but I wanted to mention that the free hosting only allows one domain (per user) to be hosted. In other words, I can't sign up under two different names on this forum and post to get two different domains hosted. There's also an option to "double everything" on your basic free hosting account so you get more space. I've been here almost a year and have never had any down time that I know of, my site always loads quickly and the "customer service" here is top-notch.

You can host as many domains as you want on your free hosting account. Just addon domain to your hosting through cPanel and you are ready to go :)

Yozora

The basic free plan allows for 10 addon/parked domains. If you need more, you can always earn 100 points through posting quality posts, donate them to the user account called "Bank", and then apply for the "Double Everything" plan, which doubles all the resources you get with the free plan.

marked

I've had my free site hosted half a week ago and everything is amazingly superb.

These folks are offering several things which other free hosts don't offer (you'd know what I mean if you are a server side developer) and their user support is surprisingly supportive and active :angel: The speed is great and the tools offered for building and maintenance of site(s) are really cool :cool:

There are some apprehensive admins around who might question the "quality" of your posts, but that's just a minor thing :p Once you get 10 quality posts, you are good to go for applying a free hosting service.

binil

Also there is less pressure on you as a forum user, like many said before me - you just need 10 quality posts - to get free hosting for life. There are no other requirements like minimum number of posts per month that you need to keep your free hosting. This means that there are no stupid or spam posts by forum users.

V

vpingtesting

hello all.
i am new to this service. i have read all the posts in this thread but i dont know what do you mean by quality post?

Yozora

Geoservices said:
So this maybe a stupid question but who awards these points? The computer or a person/people? Not sure if it means the computer will detect spam comments...just wonderin

The forum script awards them, but all hosting & VPS requests are manually approved by a member of our staff, so if someone makes a lot of spam posts, the posts may be removed, and the person's hosting application would be denied.

Geoservices

Yozora said:
The forum script awards them, but all hosting & VPS requests are manually approved by a member of our staff, so if someone makes a lot of spam posts, the posts may be removed, and the person's hosting application would be denied.
Hmmm, so the denied application is temporary or permanent for that account/IP address? Google's Captcha integration maybe? maybe a bit too much I guess.

Yozora

Geoservices said:
Yozora said:
Hmmm, so the denied application is temporary or permanent for that account/IP address? Google's Captcha integration maybe? maybe a bit too much I guess.
If the user starts making an effort to write quality posts, they can then re-apply. If they continue to make spam posts, then the posts will continue to be deleted, and the user might be banned.
Overall, we want to encourage responsible site ownership here at Gigarank, and the level of effort someone puts into their posts is usually indicative of the level of effort they will put into their site.

Status
Not open for further replies.