Pinterest Users

xdude

Anyone here use Pinterest ? Not exactly a social networking site like Facebook or Twitter but one of the most popular social media sites today. I have created a personal account and started using it seriously only since last year. But I have to say it can be addictive. A one huge photo book which let you save and keep all interesting images you find online.

Also I realized it's nice way to get some traffic to your websites. Now it's kind of hard since Pinterest trying to deal with mass spammers but year ago I saw some people earning more than $500 with Google AdSense using pinterest traffic. I'm worried to use it for AdSense but I use traffic from it for Amazon sites.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Nice to hear Facebook may get some competition. Haven't checked out Pinterest, but I have heard it mentioned many times. Will give it a go and let you know what I think.

xdude

Well Facebook and Pinterest is kind of Apples and Oranges. But Pinterest is become more and more like Facebook in some ways. For example last year they added PM feature so users can message each other send a recommended photo by a PM. I like it more than Twitter. :smile:

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
True. I just Googled Pintinterest for the first time this morning. Couldn't get a page up, but noticed it is a bit different. Quite interesting and very creative. When I have more time this weekend will explore it more.

xdude

Yeah I had been telling about Pinterest to a friend of mine for months and last month finally forced her to make an account. She didn't want but I made her so I can get my pages pinned into her account. Now she is telling she loves the idea and using it more than facebook.

When it comes to real users I think it has more females than males because there are lots of things which females love more. For example, fashion photos, food recipes, wedding stuff, DIV things, home decorating, cute photos etc.

Yozora

Ah, Pinterest. I've heard of it, but when I tried to go to the site I got turned off by all the things like fashion and pictures of food. I mean, I'm female, and I get that those are commonly female interests, but they don't interest me as a person, so I figured the site just wasn't something I would like.

What kinds of things do you like about Pinterest, @"xdude" ?

xdude

Well it shows you things you pick. I'm a guy I don't care about womens fashion or wedding dresses. So I get photos only things I have interested. I have boards about Aquarium Fish, Stamps, Nature, Photography, Cameras etc and you can understand what kind of images I see in my feed. I only see photos of Pin board I decide to follow. No other stuff.

Snowflake

I only use pinterest for my websites. Have a personal account too, but I don't use it much. It's cool to find some nice DIY projects, decorative ideas etc too. :)

yusha

Well, I have an id on pinterest but Really too much social media nowadays. People are getting confused which one to use.

jaran

I think pinterest like instagram. However, their system is open to anyone, although did not have a mobile phone.

xdude

jaran said:
I think pinterest like instagram. However, their system is open to anyone, although did not have a mobile phone.

In a way it is like Instagram. I don't have Instagram because I don't have a smart phone. Even if I have I don't know if I would have an account there unless I use it for my sites. That place is pretty much full of Celebs and Teens talking about fashion and stuff. Pinterest is lot better than Instagram.

jaran

xdude said:
jaran said:

In a way it is like Instagram. I don't have Instagram because I don't have a smart phone. Even if I have I don't know if I would have an account there unless I use it for my sites. That place is pretty much full of Celebs and Teens talking about fashion and stuff. Pinterest is lot better than Instagram.

xdude said:
jaran said:

Agreed. Pinterest have wide range user than instagram. Also they have alot customization to make over your page.

fancy

You may call them both social networks, but Instagram definitely has more social interaction between the users.

Pinterest is mainly a photo sharing social network where people curate the stuff they like and put them into boards. The users hardly talk to each other, but based on research the conversion rates are higher than other social networks. People go there to look for products and things to buy.

Instagram is more of a photo blogging social network. Photos are about people rather than products. Even for company profiles, they don't just post product photos on it. Instead, they need to look more natural and feature other elements in them. People go there to look at other people and see what they are doing :p.

xdude

Well couple of years back Pinterest was pretty much photo sharing site. But not anymore. before we could talk only through photo comments but now there is Instant messaging system which let you message each other. But it's more like sending Personal messages than instant messages since it's rare 2 users stay online same time.

GigaGreg

Staff member
Pinterest is very fun to use and share information. I had to use it, found it very useful. I don't use it very much nowadays, but I think that I will be going back to this because of the college course I am doing.

xdude

You can get addicted to it. Now everyday I check and repin some pins in morning. Also it's fun to learn about various things using these pins.

GigaGreg

Staff member
Agreed, especially in topics you are interested at. People post the most amazing and very useful infographics to get inspiration and knowledge from. I used to repin stuff in mornings too :)

But as you get lazy, you forget to visit certain websites.

I

incrypto

Yes, I use Pinterest For CPA Networks. It's a Good Source of Genuine Traffic.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
incrypto said:
Yes, I use Pinterest For CPA Networks. It's a Good Source of Genuine Traffic.
How is it a good source of traffic?

Just saying something is good doesn't earn you a quality post credit. You've got to give us a little of a discussion about why you're in favour of it.

xdude

I do use it as a traffic source too. I have been using couple of Pinterest Skype groups where I have seen people milking this great social media site. I have never been big on blackhat stuff or spamming so have been receiving around 30-50 visitors to one of my web sites by pining my posts.

It used to be pretty easy. You need to find niche which works for Pinterest. Usually a female trend like fashion, recipes, kids stuff etc. Now you need to make some nice images for pining. Infographics usually work great. No need to be pro stuff just create something nice and use a bait so user would click on image and visit your site. So you pin this page, add nice description and url.

If you have a large Pinterest account then this start going viral soon. There are several time periods you should use for pinning. Hours when most US, Canadian users are online. Group boards used to work great for this too.