Professionals, what's the going rate for building a website?

You guys are off in so many ways and been watching too many bad 80's shows. First off, sites don't get hacked because they copied and paste code. Trust me, its one thing I look for. 2nd, You need to understand what a website is and what its being used for.

I wasn't going to commnet any more as you are too younge to actually understand what this is about. You are mixing building a website with building an App/Program/CMS. 2 very different things altogether. You are mixing up your projects.

Yes, there are coders who write code, but they don't write code to build a website. Again, these are 2 very different things.

Yes, people write code for stuff like MyBB, but that is not building a website. 2nd, people use that code to make their website. Again, 2 different things. Again, its how 97% of people build websites now. That is what they call copy and paste,using a template etc. Figured you would have clued in with all the references to Wordpress, PHPbb etc. Do businesses use that, yes they do. There thousands of them out there. Maybe you should go to a business website and look at the source code of them, you will see what they actually use.

Now lets say you are business like lets say a bank. They don't hire private coders to build their sites. They are part of a team employed by the banks and work with them daily. The same goes with most big businesses like that. Now Joe blows business website, majority of them are cookie cutter code that is all over the net.

Now lets get into a CMS like PHPbb, MyBB, Vbulletin, all the same code. Its PHP, now body came up with new code for them. They just took the base code, altered it added some different features, removed some functions etc. Some give the code away for free and some require a license to use it. The guys who wrote them, are rarely ever paid. The security breaches and fixes are from contributors for the code. Again, no one is paid to do it.

You can claim all you want that someone wrote something, but its not their code, PHP is not anyones code and can not be copy righted in any way. The only thing they can claim to themselves is the design or layout of the code. The images etc they can. I went through this with a laywer already over some game that I worked on. I have the source code for the game and threated to release it under my name for the work I did on it to fix and the ower refused to pay me after it was done. He threated to sue me. He had no leg to stand on as its written in php. I can use the code any way I like, as long as I changed the name of the game and the images.

So, kick,cry scream or do what ever you want, no one writes new code any more, nor do they do they make anything new. Its just rework of old work.

As for the comment for MyBB, I wrote a CMS at the same time as MyBB came out. Mine wasn't as robust and didn't have all the same features. So back in 2006 after I redid it to use divs and took away the tables, I retired from doing it any more.
How ever, some of the orignals devs on, did a fork of the code and add some new things to it. They are still working on it and not many people know about it. Under the license agreement, I get the source of it and I can use it and alter again. Thats why I like Open Source, its allows users to alter it to their needs.

This is the fork of my code
http://strokerace.gi9.co/

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
@"strokerace" @"CHT"

I've removed the last discussion between the two of you as the discussion has gone off topic and off the rails. Can you please focus on the topic of this discussion, which is the going rate of building a Website.

myserver99

Most people out there will try to scam you. This days, you can build a decent website free, all you will have to pay for is a domain and a host. I vouch for wordpress, but dont buy domain from them.

CHT

myserver99 said:
Most people out there will try to scam you. This days, you can build a decent website free, all you will have to pay for is a domain and a host. I vouch for wordpress, but dont buy domain from them.

Define website. If you're talking about a bunch of static pages, then yes there's no need to pay to make that. If you're talking about dynamic ones like those on Microsoft, don't expect to be able to get it for free.

CHT said:
myserver99 said:

Define website. If you're talking about a bunch of static pages, then yes there's no need to pay to make that. If you're talking about dynamic ones like those on Microsoft, don't expect to be able to get it for free.

Ummm, yes on both accounts. But majority of websites are STATIC. Microsoft does't build websites, not supply files to create one.

CHT

strokerace said:
CHT said:
strokerace said:
Ummm, yes on both accounts. But majority of websites are STATIC. Microsoft does't build websites, not supply files to create one.
this then? How about this here? Or this mail site?

Again, you are out of your league. Wordpress is not dynamic, its static.

Lets put it this way, those of us who can, and those who can't use windblows

If Wordpress is static, that would mean you can't see your newly added posts even after a refresh and would require to actually force the web server to reload that page from disk. Since that is not the case, it is dynamic.
Source: Have done both static and dynamic pages before. Static pages are a bitch to work with, cause it always a reboot of the web server app to see the changes newly made.

So you can't use Winblows, but we're not talking about it though. We are talking about the fact that Microsoft does actually build their own websites, which my point is proven.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Time out guys. Please stay on topic of this thread or open your own topic.

The topic of this thread is: Professionals, what's the going rate for building a website?

Any more off topic posts in this thread will be deleted.

smalpierre

Around here, I see ads all the time in the $2000 (USD) range for a basic brochure site - the old 5-6 page site, no shopping cart, etc. That includes a year hosting, a domain name, design, getting it set up, and some very basic maintinence and some SEO optimization. They all have a contact form, but nothing more interactive than that.

I can tell you this: I'd charge a LOT more than I get paid now if I also had to do the legwork of hunting down customers, dealing with contractual issues, and other things I don't deal with now.

I make $68,000 / year plus bonuses, vacation time, benefits, free coffee (programming fluid!) etc. Last year I built 15 sites, and did all the maintinence on them. The designer / webmaster here ... well he's set in his ways and doesn't know how to code so they were a royal pain in the neck, and a lot of the non-coders half ass building things wrong, and not listening when I mentioned that we shouldn't be doing it that way.

I also have a lot of down time. I might be on facebook for 5 hours some days ... So if you average it out, these sites (with others working on them too - even though they were doing more to hold up progress than help) MY time cost them well over $5,000 each - plus our servers run about $1000 / month or so.

But that includes maintinence, customer wants *insert feature here* added, building report generators, analyzing traffic, answering tech questions, etc. I had to build a couple of wordpress plugins, set up a few servers, and helping the guys build mass emails ...

If you had ... say a pizza place (without online ordering) I'd charge somewhere in the $2500 - $3k range depending on how much of a pain I thought the client would be, then $100 / hour for anything above and beyond (because here, employers pay half of your income taxes - you have to pay all when self employed, and other business expenses that I don't pay now). You want an online ordering system? Ok - $100 / hour to go over how you want it to work, drawing up some storyboards, getting that checked off - then I'd fix the price for it according to how long I thought it would take x $100 + costs (SSL cert, special software, etc). If it takes me a little longer - oh well. If it takes me less - good. Basically, if I thought it would take me a week (40 hours) + $500 in whatever I had to buy - it'd be another $4500.

If you think it's expensive to hire a professional, wait until you hire an amatuer! The cost of doing it wrong is EXTREMELY high - which is one reason those websites I did last year were so expensive - I had to work with someone elses crap, and make it work reasonably well and fast.

Anyway - I do this for a living, not to starve so other people can have websites.

drinks2go

It all really depends what is profitable for the business owner.

If I have gone to the trouble of developing a fairly simple application with basic functionality and basic theming which can be quickly customized or built upon to finish projects expediently, if it makes sense for my bottom line to charge 100 dollars and my business model allows for such a number to yield a worthwhile profit, who is to say my product is no good?

Plus you would need to directly compare the product of any two companies/firms/developers/designers/whatever to make any real valuable judgements, "this is a rip-off", "this is sub standard", "this is great value for money"... And conversely, you might be surprised at some of the work that goes into a hundred dollar website. A part of that model may be offsetting the low initial cost for design through increased maintenance/management costs, or tagging on a premium to the cost of hosting/domain registration. It is hard to say without comparing two concrete examples!

SimonRi

I recognize myself in you, my tip for you is to try use Bootstrap. It's ease and you deosen't need to have an eye for design. Trust me you'l do it!