Simple notepad alternative?

Gregoric

New member
Hello

Very often I need to write down something, make some text note and that is when I use the Window's default notepad. I have been waiting for Microsoft to eventually update it (and move it from XX to XXI century), similarily to the Paint application. But Windows 10 came out and both notepad and calculator apps are still the same, at least feature-wise.

So, I'd like to ask you, do you know any good, fast and simple notepad alternative? I do not want you to list any apps like Notepad++ or some heavy and slow IDEs; I need a better notepad, that supports at least a few more basic functions, like tabs, syntax highlighting or better support for different types of encoding.

Any ideas?


Thanks in advance,
G
 

jaran

New member
Have you tried with notepad2mod ? This program also support with many language coding (php, js, phyton n etc)

Sent from my ASUS_T00F using Tapatalk
 

Gregoric

New member
jaran said:
Have you tried with notepad2mod ? This program also support with many language coding (php, js, phyton n etc)

Sent from my ASUS_T00F using Tapatalk

I have installed it, looks pretty good! It is still simple but supports tab properly and has a few things that I wanted such a program to have. Thank you greatly for the suggestion, it is pretty good!


GigaGreg said:
You should install notepad 8.1 from win which is very handy and good.
Well, I have used the Windows 10's notepad and it's pretty much the same as any Windows Notepad, of course, except the interface. I want something more than what is supplied in Windows by default.
 
Are you looking for a slightly more advanced text editor or a simple word processor?

I don't know how it is for coding - not sure if that's what you are after - but for taking general notes and text formatting Wordpad is simple but includes a variety of text customization not available in Notepad. It's free and can be found to download from various sources with a simple Google search. Could not find the official MS page.
 

BlackThePrep

New member
You can give Notepad++ a try. It supports tabs, scripting language highlighting, and you can also add compilers to it, to use it as a scripting program.
 

leetkrew

New member
BlackThePrep said:
You can give Notepad++ a try. It supports tabs, scripting language highlighting, and you can also add compilers to it, to use it as a scripting program.

+1 for notepad++
Very easy to use, clean design and good syntax correction. Im using it since my college days. Very light memory usage
 

neotrip

New member
I also would have to agree on Notepad++. Epistle is also pretty cool if you are an android user. It keeps all notes in the cloud for you to access on PC or Android.


I know it's more than you asked for, but something to think about.
 

GigaGreg

Moderator
Staff member
Brackets from Adobe is very nice and very cool, rich in useful plugins, live view is great too, but mostly because it is open source and you can tweak it to your needs if you know how to program.

Also I would recommend the newest Dreamweaver which will have a lot of features from Brackets.
 

keltron

New member
Initially difficult but powerfull: GVIM
If you learn this tool, you could reuse in command line via "vi" or "vim" commands (linux like OS ).

In my opinion, if you have to write some code, a lightweight and good ide lik SUBLIME TEXT could be a good solution.
 

trending

New member
leetkrew said:
BlackThePrep said:
You can give Notepad++ a try. It supports tabs, scripting language highlighting, and you can also add compilers to it, to use it as a scripting program.

+1 for notepad++
Very easy to use, clean design and good syntax correction. Im using it since my college days. Very light memory usage

Notepad++ is the best notepad for developers webs and edit cfgs.
 

lin-uni-team

New member
Well if you are on windows, you can download binary file of emacs, sublime text, kate, and there are whole lot bunches of text/code editor in programming world. If you are on Linux, you know what to do :)
 

starswper

New member
@Gregoric "So, I'd like to ask you, do you know any good, fast and simple notepad alternative? I do not want you to list any apps like Notepad++ or some heavy and slow IDEs; I need a better notepad, that supports at least a few more basic functions"

Why you don't like Notepad++ ? It's a better notepad but you say you don't want to hear about it.
It's also a good html editor.. code is not messy etc... I can't complain
 

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
starswper said:
@Gregoric "So, I'd like to ask you, do you know any good, fast and simple notepad alternative? I do not want you to list any apps like Notepad++ or some heavy and slow IDEs; I need a better notepad, that supports at least a few more basic functions"

Why you don't like Notepad++ ? It's a better notepad but you say you don't want to hear about it.
It's also a good html editor.. code is not messy etc... I can't complain
Sublime or bracket are the more fancier ones that are recommended by your geek users. Subline is shareware but most coders use it as freeware. Bracket from Adobe is free.

I use the code editor of Expression Web 4.0. I could fix it to look just like Sublime. What I like of course is that I can view design mode as well. Expression Web 4.0 is freeware from Microsoft as well these days, as it has been nulled as a software.
 

drxgrey

New member
I dont code or anything i just simply use it as small text editor, still using Notepad++ :mega_shock: