Skype alternatives for Windows desktop

Genesis

Administrator
My experience with Skype hasn't been bad until tonight. Have uninstalled and reinstalled Skype and it still doesn't want to accept my hotmail account details. I.e. doesn't recognize it.

Have just completed a fresh download of only 1.5MB that took about 30 minutes to download! Clicked on executing the software, and it's hanging forever. (Message: Please wait while Skype is being installed. It takes a few minutes.) It's been almost 20 minutes now.

I Googled this and this experience is not unique for Skype.

So hence why I'm wondering. Is there an alternative for Skype available for Windows desktops?

GigaGreg

Staff member
There is an application, called Wire. I have no idea if it is out for PC yet, but it is on smartphones at the moment. I havent used it yet, because I have no one to test it with. It meant to be better than Skype, also there is service from Mozilla called Hi, that allows you to make video calls via your web browser.

Genesis

Administrator
Took about 30 minutes to finally get installed, and thank goodness it's working now, minus the history. Sort of odd. My one hotmail account has partial non-recent history saved. The other hotmail account has no history at all. Probably should be grateful my contacts were all there, although I'd have thought they should be there given they belong to my Hotmail accounts and not Skype. Skype's only supposed to be a client.

I'm still looking for an alternative though.

Genesis

Administrator
iGdesigner said:
There is an application, called Wire. I have no idea if it is out for PC yet, but it is on smartphones at the moment. I havent used it yet, because I have no one to test it with. It meant to be better than Skype, also there is service from Mozilla called Hi, that allows you to make video calls via your web browser.
Thanks iG. I like the sound of Wire. Will definitely check it out.

Yozora

LINE is good, but as with most of these things, you need to have friends on it to use it. Also, I haven't checked out the Firefox chat thing yet, but it seems neat. There's also Google Hangouts, which is kind of Skype-like.

Yozora

@"iGdesigner" Yeah, Firefox Hi seems pretty cool. I heard if you start a chat with it, it doesn't matter if your chat partner uses Chrome or Firefox. That could be really useful! Can it do group chats?