The Walking Dead

slibinas

Anyone watching this serial? This serial about zombie apocalypse, very interesting serial, I propose to watch this serial who dont see this yet. There are 5 Season, i think 6 season gonna to be release in October month :clapping:

smalpierre

I've watched it since day 1. I missed a lot, but I caught up online for the most part. haven't seen the last couple of episodes - I got hung up on Game of Thrones which when I started watching I had 3 seasons to catch up on.

aya

Season 1 & 2 were good, worth watching, but the rest that followed really bored me
way too much talking & build ups to nothing.
much prefer Znation!! theres more action in 1 episode of Znation than all the seasons of WD :diablo:

smalpierre

@"aya"
I'll have to check that out. WD is getting duller and duller. I like Rick and Daryl and everything, but when it started nobody was safe from dying and now it seems like that's changed.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
I've never checked out Walking Dead. Can't understand why people have an attraction for the dying, zombies and bloodthirsty vampires. All seem to be popular TV shows and movies these days - I sometimes wonder whether this is a sign humanity is in trouble. Give me a good old who dunnit mystery or murder puzzle movie or fast moving quality action movies and I'm happy. :p

Yozora

@"Genesis" Ehh, maybe it's because they're bored? A lot of people live a relatively peaceful day-to-day existence. They don't have to grow/catch their own food, defend their home against wild animals, etc. It's easy to think their relatively prosperous lives are more boring than their pioneer ancestors, and for them to want to see a little action/drama, in a way that doesn't harm their real lives. I don't really blame them, since I do the same thing, only with different genres and mostly with a different medium (books).
I also like mysteries (as well as histories, fantasies, etc), and haven't seen The Walking Dead, but if others watch it & like it, then I'm happy for them.^-^

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Yozora said:
... but if others watch it & like it, then I'm happy for them.^-^
Absolutely. Every now and then when I catch a glimpse of it on TV though it gives me pause for thought. But you're right of course, different horses, different courses.

aya said:
Season 1 & 2 were good, worth watching, but the rest that followed really bored me
way too much talking & build ups to nothing.
much prefer Znation!! theres more action in 1 episode of Znation than all the seasons of WD :diablo:

I had not heard of Z Nation before, I am a huge fan of DJ Qualls, frustratingly this show is not released in the UK until October but I shall be looking forward to its release here.

smalpierre

@"Briar Spirit" I think Aya is in the UK as well. Should be able to find it on the internet ;)

Genesis said:
I've never checked out Walking Dead. Can't understand why people have an attraction for the dying, zombies and bloodthirsty vampires. All seem to be popular TV shows and movies these days - I sometimes wonder whether this is a sign humanity is in trouble. Give me a good old who dunnit mystery or murder puzzle movie or fast moving quality action movies and I'm happy. :p

The zombie apocalypse is simply a representation of the world as we know it falling apart, much like the fall of the Roman Empire.

Vampires are more diverse, more or less representing evils present in many of us. Bram Stokers Dracula was written in Victorian times - a period of extreme sexual repression, so his vampire was scary because he was sexually seductive, and morally corrupting - while at the same time being attractive to our more base instincts. Other vampires are more representative of our killer instinct, and savage nature.

Then there's the Will Smith I Am Legend vampire, which is more like a zombie in that it's not at all seductive, or intelligent but simply a creature of the night.

One thing about both of them - they take us off the top of the food chain, and that is scary in it's own right.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
smalpierre said:
One thing about both of them - they take us off the top of the food chain, and that is scary in it's own right.
True. But why not rather transformers, i robot, or terminator, or star wars, characters that are endearing and fighting off all of our villains ..... why blood, dumb dead and gore?

smalpierre

Genesis said:
smalpierre said:
True. But why not rather transformers, i robot, or terminator, or star wars, characters that are endearing and fighting off all of our villains ..... why blood, dumb dead and gore?

Why not both?

Transformers hasn't done it for me since I was a kid. It's oversimplification of good vs evil. It's why I never liked comic books, and the whole superhero genre. There is ONE graphic novel however, that I did read and enjoy when I was in high school - The Watchmen. Much more depth to the story. There are no real good guys and bad guys. The Comedian for example, raped the Silk Spectre, although they were both part of the "good guy" side, and he wasn't exactly a humanitarian. Rorschach was the closest thing to being a superhero like uncompromising "good guy" although his morals can be a little sketchy - he fights for what he believes is right. Then there's Ozzymandias - another one of the "good guys" who kills about a billion people in his quest to save humanity from itself, and the bad guys weren't really personifications of evil, so much as governmental corruption and stupidity, and the system as a whole - and the good guys could often be thought of as bad guys - and vice versa.

Star Wars is a story of an oppressive imperial government, it's rise to power, and abuse thereof - and rebel freedom fighters. I'm not a big fan of the Jedi order though, way too religious for my taste. Religion doesn't have that good of a human rights or freedom fighting record. The Dark Side is more like religion in real life.

iRobot and The Terminator - both deal with machines becoming sentient. iRobot deals with how we should treat other sentient beings. Is it just to terminate sentient beings because of the perception that they could pose a threat? The Terminator deals with when they actually have become a threat, and destroyed civilization. Of course, they might not have done the wrong thing necessarily - humans ARE the scourge of the planet ...

So on to zombies ...

Zombies in some contexts can be thought of as the dumb unthinking masses of our civilization leading us to ruin. They cannibalize the thinkers "turning" them into another brick in the wall - another member of the jingoistic blind following masses. Think about America for a minute, and all it's idiots that vote for politicians that laugh at us - and only have their own interest in mind. They wrap themselves in 'Murikan flags, and chant the mantra of the masses. THEY are the real zombies, and one day they just might kill us all. They move with the herd, think like the herd, destroy the environment and humanity with the herd. As individuals, they're not inherently evil - they're just dumb cannibals, but they threaten civilization as a group.

The gore? They're really no more gory than the Terminators cutting people into pieces. It's not about the graphical representation, the gore, the cinematics ... it's the story behind it.

another thing - zombies aren't about the zombies - it's about humans, and their interactions when faced with catastrophic events. It's about the people that are left and the degradation of their humanity.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
WOW! What an excellent post! :cool: You turned my argument right on its head and got me to rethink zombies and the dead. Probably need to take a closer look.

I've been enjoying the transformers for light relief, always a little bit of a tongue in the cheek, but you may be right that it is less meaningful and more superficial than the walking dead. I'd have to watch more episodes of walking dead to make a real comparison. Your reference to degraded humanity is spot on. Could be that that was what had influenced how I was looking at it. Although I need to see more episodes first for a more meaningful evaluation.

With star wars I didn't quite get the religious thing. More like good vs evil, and cute being on the good side. Baddies in star wars were very interesting and anything but skin deep. One got to like them as well. Nothing depraved about either good or evil in starwars.

Your take on zombies is amazing and again so on the mark. Probably why I don't like them either. Comparing them with the sheep of current society is a great comparison.

smalpierre

I like Star Wars for the most part. I'm going to watch the prequels tonight, I don't remember them as well as the first ones. I do seem to remember that Anakin wasn't really a bad guy. The trade organization was already corrupt. He SHOULD have taken over, and it would have been good except he had been perverted by religion (jedi/sith - two sides of the same coin)

Star wars is unique in that kids that don't understand the depth of the story can enjoy it, but there's more to it than just what's on the surface.

If you want to try a good zombie flick, check out 28 Days Later. It's a different kind of zombie than the George Ramirez / Walking Dead type. They're infected with the "rage" virus, they're fast, and extremely aggressive. The characters at first are trying to survive, but they hear a message from a group claiming they have the answer to the plague. I won't ruin it for you though ... it's a great movie.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen 28 days. Pretty gruesome. Both offputting but at the same time very interesting. It was OK to watch the movie. Not the kind of movie I'd watch a second time though.

The Happening reminded me a little of 28 days, but not as bloodthirsty vampirish though. It had to do with trees taking revenge on humanity. Then there was one of Will Smith too, I am legend, a little like 28 days. Did watch it, but don't think it's a movie I'd see a second time. Will Smith is one of my favourite actors though, he made the movie for me and the plague was an interesting theme.

smalpierre said:
@"Briar Spirit" I think Aya is in the UK as well. Should be able to find it on the internet ;)

I found season one on a European website yesterday, I have watched the first 5 episodes and I have to say it is a very engaging show. :)

Ali_Ahmad

Yup i watched all 5 seasons and now i am waiting for season 6, its soon to be aired i guess? I have always liked the zombie films but never seen anything like TWD.:good:

bllynx

Season 5 was the worse I think a lot of talk about what is not!
the nation Z best right now a lot of action and humor hilarious!

DKNDZyre

TWD is an interesting serial, the storyline is I suppose consistent 'enough' to keep the viewers engaged but the underlying message is lost on me somehow. The 'group' of survivors battling through unthinkable odds and against unimaginable horrors has drifted away as the series have evolved, personally I feel it has been dragging on far too long and the story is getting desperate and thoroughly uninteresting, the story writers seem to be getting lost. Possibly some cross contamination from the FTWD, wont go into that too much as that is an entirely different beast and a refreshing modern breath of fresh air for the thinking audience.

If you want a Zombie thing to really get you going then try something a little deeper, a little darker, give something like The Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue a try. If you really want to go the whole hog and get into something that will give you cause to think about what you're watching then check out Revenge of the Zombies (1943), flicks today are all about big special effects and fancy settings, give me an older movie any day of the week. Yeah I enjoy modern stuff much as any one else but they just don't compare in many ways, important ways to some older stuff out there.

Sure, you could argue that modern people are too engrossed in the whole idea of Zombies if you like but these are fairly old flicks and if you want to consider a much older Zombie story consider Lazarus from the Bible, the first Zombie eh, well, that's a tale for another day eh.

aya

anyone who's up to date with walking dead should watch this for a giggle!

Spoilers.
[video=youtube]