Totally annoyed with Hotmail ...

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
So tonight really got upset with Hotmail. I'd say I'm sufficiently protected with plenty of security, so got into my Hotmail account with a password that is a good one by Hotmail's standards. Worked a few minutes on an e-mail reply, and then when I wanted to send the e-mail Hotmail out of the blue asked me to complete a captcha in the middle of sending the e-mail. Problem is that the letters used for the captcha were almost completely illegible. I couldn't make them out for the life of me. I was just waiting for the moment that Hotmail would block my account. I then tried the sound option, and that was completely inaudible. So back to the letters. TOTALLY frustrating. Also dead scared I'd loose the e-mail. Took me more than a minute to write it. Such a waste of time as well.

Has anything like this happened to anyone else? I.e. on top of having to use a really good password to access one's account, one gets tripped up with captchas in the middle of using the Hotmail account as well. Not to mention some of my trusted e-mails that are received being sent to the junk folder even when I've "unjunked" them before. Compared with gmail, Hotmail is starting to flunk the test for me BIG TIME.

jbjenterprises

Captcha prompts are not normally used to protect your account, but are used to protect the system / server from being used by bots. I think that maybe too many people have been sending SPAM mail via bots while using free HOTMAIL accounts. Hotmail should find another way to prevent SPAM from occurring, as requiring a Captcha entry in order to send an email is extremely annoying.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed. I'm not totally against that except they need to warn a person as there could have been a chance that I could have lost the e-mail I had been writing. Like the security person who implemented that didn't really care what the e-mail account is being used for in the first place. The security system has become disassociated with the whole e-mail function.

Last night I also had a run-in with my paid Malwarebytes software. For some or other reason malwarebytes is blocking dot.tk, and I've got many dot.tk sites, so visit that dot.tk mother Website often to modify name servers etc and to check up on domain renewals. Again, the person who designed Malwarebytes to block dot.tk, didn't design an escape for when it happens that is fool-proof. One can create an exception, but only for the domain dot.tk, not any of the sub-domains, i.e. dot.tk/en/index. etc. Anything past the "tk" even with the exception for dot.tk, and it blocks all of the sub-domains without an option not to block it or to get out of it. So Malwarebytes is basically controlling it and not giving me "an out". So in the end I found a way to go to the system tray and "exit" Malwarebytes. Every time I need to use dot.tk,I'll have to de-activate Malwarebytes first. Decision made of course now not to renew my paid subscription, as it is just too intrusive and frustrating to have a malware software like that taking over everything without giving me "an out".

Ok, what it sounds like is you have update some things on Hotmail and have not verified them. I had this a few times myself. Once I verified a recovery email or verified I was human, it stopped.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
Nope. I think it was more a case of working to long on the e-mail before I pushed the sent button. :p

xdude

It's been a long time since I have even touch my Hotmail account. I use it only because it's connected to Bing webmaster account.

BungBung

I quit using them when they stated that they scan emails like Google for ad content and stuff like that. I'm not sure how true it actually is, but it's a large company and I certainly wouldn't put it past them to read people's emails.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
BungBung said:
I quit using them when they stated that they scan emails like Google for ad content and stuff like that. I'm not sure how true it actually is, but it's a large company and I certainly wouldn't put it past them to read people's emails.
I don't mind Microsoft reading my e-mails. The part I hate is when it blocks me from reading my own e-mails. I also don't like Microsoft trying to get my cell phone number. That's really VERY lame. The equivalent of asking for an ID.

BungBung

Genesis said:
BungBung said:
I don't mind Microsoft reading my e-mails. The part I hate is when it blocks me from reading my own e-mails. I also don't like Microsoft trying to get my cell phone number. That's really VERY lame. The equivalent of asking for an ID.

I hear you there, it seems like all email sites want you to give them a cell phone number. I have an old Google Voice number and usually they can send a text to that but some of those sites somehow know it's Google Voice and wont accept it. I do not like receiving text adverts on my phone.

xdude

These days I think all free mail providers scan mail so they can get data for advertisements and also to sell as raw data for those analytic companies. Now I'm sticking with Gmail since at least it's easy to use.

amh

i just create new hotmail account and they upgraded to new outlook interface for new account. I also faced similar problem where it asked to place the security captcha code before sending email (wtf!)....at first the captcha is very hard to read and need to refresh until got the clearer combination.....

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
amh said:
.at first the captcha is very hard to read and need to refresh until got the clearer combination.....
I get very irritated too when I have to keep on refreshing the darn number until I can finally figure out what it is.

tornado

amh said:
i just create new hotmail account and they upgraded to new outlook interface for new account. I also faced similar problem where it asked to place the security captcha code before sending email (wtf!)....at first the captcha is very hard to read and need to refresh until got the clearer combination.....

Well you should not really be using hotmail, or should you.....:huh:

Barnum4000

amh said:

Some captchas won't work depending on the security of your Wi-Fi. At college we were unable to create an account for google because the security of the Wi-Fi was creating unreadable captchas since it was trying to block it.

amh

tornado said:
amh said:

Well you should not really be using hotmail, or should you.....:huh:

i still prefer hotmail than gmail......that security captcha before sending email....it seem gone now, maybe only for the first time....