Unread Post looks strange

Genesis

Administrator
I would like that too Jaran. But I thought it was just me. So now there are two of us.

Anyone else who pays attention to the post counter?

Would be nice to have it back the way it used to be. If that is possible.

pan1

I got that too. I have clicked mark as read but next day it keep going back to 500+ count.

jaran

On Tapatalk it look so fine. I can see new post always update it. So I think it only happen when I access via browser.

Sent from my ASUS_T00F using Tapatalk

helpremember

I've been noticing the same thing and thought that somehow I had just gotten that far behind. Good to know it's not just me.

Genesis

Administrator
strokerace said:
Are you guys using Chrome?Clear your browsing and cache.
There were some changes made from before you joined Strokerace, so can't be as noticeable to you. For example previously if there had been more than 500 posts made since the last visit, then the number would not be 500+ but the exact number like 1540. That's the clue for the change. But also the View Unread Posts worked differently with refreshing. If I opened a post for reading, it would automatically reduce the View Unread Posts number by one. Now it only reduces after I've read it, and sometimes inconsistently, like jumping a few numbers first, like from 15 to 19, and then reducing to 12 or something interesting like that. It's not a big deal, but it is noticeable.

Genesis

Administrator
un4saken said:
Just click "Mark all threads read" if it bothers you.
We're quite good at figuring that out un4 but that is obviously not what this is about. :p

There are members like me and Jaran who have been using the unread posts number as a statistic reference point for reading through all of the posts. I read through every post. So when we log in we used to be able to clearly see the number of posts we haven't read yet. And as we work through them one by one we used to see the unread number drop clearly from 20 to 19 then 18 and when we've gone through all of them finally 1 and then no posts to read any longer. Like a work in progress reference stat.

What we have now is unstable and unspecific. We get 500+ instead of 613. So we can't really track as we work through posts. Also the number doesn't decrease clearly by one. Sometimes it will jump from 15 unread to 18 unread. Then jump back to 14 - sort of irritating in comparison with before. Previously it was clear that when it said 5 unread posts that there were 5 unread posts. Now there is probably something that makes it jump to higher numbers and lower numbers, probably to do with the number of clicks.

Can we have the old system back? :drinks::drinks::drinks::drinks::drinks::drinks::drinks:

As I said before, clear your cache and history. Its a bug that is in chrome. I have seen this same issue on other sites and the issue only happened to chrome users. If you do that and the issue comes back, then it maybe a database issue

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I use Firefox and have not experienced any of the issues reported in this thread. In fact the changes remind me of the phpBB2 days. Which works fine for me!

Another plus is we get to see who`s making quick succession posts, like when you have read this thread and noticed ive made the majority of posts in this hour.

Genesis

Administrator
I also use Firefox. Maybe you don't experience the 500+ as you're never that far behind in checking posts. Which is how this thread had started. Think font must have changed as well, as it is a little less legible as well.

We've been able to notice the quick succession before as well.

Could be I have more issues because of bulk posting. I'm more aware of the subtle nuances of that link, since I've been focused on the link more than most. Looks as though most people just click the "Mark all threads as read" tool, whereas I work with it as a reference point. Also looks as though the majority of readers are not that focused to read all of the posts and only focus on the threads that apply to them and have them mentioned. Then when they've dealt with that they click on "mark all threads as read" to get rid of them.

I read through all posts. One by one. With my eye on the postometer (unread posts number).

Anyway, seems as though this new one is going to stay. Gotta learn to live with it. :drinks:

jaran

strokerace said:
As I said before, clear your cache and history. Its a bug that is in chrome. I have seen this same issue on other sites and the issue only happened to chrome users. If you do that and the issue comes back, then it maybe a database issue

I didnt use chrome. Only using latest firefox (developer version). I did what @"un4saken" said and new post has been count normally again. Thanks.