Videos in posts freeze browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregoric

Hello,

When I enter/add a reply/preview a reply in a thread where there is a lot of YouTube videos, (like this one), my browser firstly slows down pretty bad and then freezez for like 10-15 seconds. Most probably, reason for this is the abundance of YouTube videos and loading of their thumbnails.

I do have a lot of RAM and a decent processor so I guess it's not the cause. The thing happens on Firefox (up-to-date, of course). When I do the same using IE11, the browser does not freeze, just lags a bit until all the videos' thumbnails are loaded.

Firefox console shows something like on this screenshot. There are nearly 60 such couples of file loading elements (first one from www.google.com, second one from s.ytimg.com). That makes about 120 calls.

It has never happened to me before, so I am posting it for you here. I think it could be something wrong with the forum engine addon responsible for adding videos tags to the posts. Or it may be my Firefox, bugging for some reason. Any ideas?

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
I've just tried the thread link (what are you listening to) and no difficulty Greg. Super fast in fact. My internet speed is not that very fast. I have broadband and B/C Grade when I test the speed. I also use Firefox and am up to date with it.

Is your Adobe Flash player player up to date? I find when I have any video issues that it usually has something to do with Adobe Flash Player more than the browser. For example, I had some issues with playing YouTube videos recently, and as soon as Adobe came out with an update, it was fixed.

aya

37.0.1 is the most recent firefox release (released yesterday) also I suggest disabling all, if any extensions you have installed & testing video then. last week I installed a youtube downloader extension & it locked most videos up on most sites, when I removed it the problem was fixed.
good luck

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
aya said:
37.0.1 is the most recent firefox release (released yesterday) also I suggest disabling all, if any extensions you have installed & testing video then. last week I installed a youtube downloader extension & it locked most videos up on most sites, when I removed it the problem was fixed.
good luck
Excellent suggestion Aya. That happened to me too a few Firefox releases ago. I removed my Firefox Add On Youtube downloader. And that fixed the problem. Never added it back again though for that reason. Did you find another way to download Youtube shows?

Gregoric

Well, the thing's pretty weird. I have disabled all the add-ons: everything the same. Then, cleared cache amd disabled add-ons - still nothing. I do, of course, have up-to-date Firefox.

I have tried using SlimJet browser, which is a browser based on Chromium, but optimized to a great extent, and it is even better than in IE11. Namely, there's merely a second-long lag (browser isn't freezed though, the loading spinner animation continues, unlike it is in Firefox) and then everything works just fine.

Another thing I have in mind is the fact, that I am using OpenDNS dns addresses (instead of the default ones supplied by the internet provider). Do you think the DNS could somehow influence the performance of Firefox in this scenario?

Or do you have any other idea? Maybe I could try clearing Gigarank, Youtube and Google cookies?

aya

I found this Genesis it allows you to DL video's as MP4 and FLV in HD.

Greg do the update I think you'll find its that.

Genesis

Administrator
Staff member
aya said:
I found this Genesis it allows you to DL video's as MP4 and FLV in HD.
Thanks Aya. I'm a little cautious with Firefox add-ons. Haven't used any since I had solved my problem.

jaran

@"Gregoric" ,
It look like bugs of adobe flash player. Try to uninstall first then download again on their site. If you're still getting trouble, then try different version of adobe flash player for your browser.

Gregoric

aya said:
Greg do the update I think you'll find its that.
Do you mean to update Firefox? As I had mentioned, I do have the lastest version all the time.

jaran said:
@"Gregoric" ,
It look like bugs of adobe flash player. Try to uninstall first then download again on their site. If you're still getting trouble, then try different version of adobe flash player for your browser.
I did that. Uninstalling Flash, clearing Firefox cache and so on, reinstalling Flash. Unfortunately, nothing helped. Then, I have tried setting the default YouTube playback to HTML5 - still nothing.

Tried resetting DNS to default, flushed DNS, nohing; DNS isn't the cause then.

I tried the same scenario (around 40 different YT videos in a thread visible at one page) on PunBB forum engine - everything happens the same as here, so MyBB's YouTube pugin is not responsible for my problems.

It seems that my Firefox simply cannot cope with ~40 video thumbnails and I cannot do much about it. Seems like I can only lower the default posts to be displayed on a single forum page ;) Will try to do so and will let you know.

Edit
Yup, it helped. Now Firefox lags but just for a second. Well, the conclusion is that it isn't necessarily a proper idea to increase the amount of posts to be displaed on a page ;) Mine was set to 50 and that made browser choke on threads like the mentioned one ;)

Topics to be closed then, issue is (partially) solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.